Suzuki GSX-R Motorcycle Forums Gixxer.com banner

321 - 340 of 372 Posts

·
Premium Member
117,182 Posts
Discussion Starter #321
Could. Try filling reservoir, then cap it and take it off the mount and straighten the hose out and squeeze the hose a bit to get fluid into it

·
Registered
1,618 Posts
Ok thank you for all your help. I will try this as soon as I get home. Again thank you for replying so quickly it is greatly appreciated.

·
Premium Member
117,182 Posts
Discussion Starter #323
Just a thought... as I've seen it before.. you DO have the fluid UNDER the black bladder right? Not on top of it.

·
Registered
1,618 Posts
The bladder is in the cap. That was first thing I checked. If taking the resovor off and moving it around doesn't work I'm going to take the master apart make sure it's operating properly.

·
Premium Member
117,182 Posts
Discussion Starter #325
I ask because I've seen the bladder sucked into the cup and people add fluid on top of it

·
Registered
1,618 Posts
I got it!!! I used a syringe and filled it up and started at one caliper and opened the bleeder on the other caliper ( i have braided stainless lines) and pushed fluid through the brake system till i had a steady stream of fluid coming out the other calipers bleeder. Then i used the syringe and pushed fluid into the master bleeder till i saw resivor fill up and now when i squeeze brake i get fluid coming out of the master bleeder!!! finally. brake is still spongy as hell but i still have some air in the lines but at least i got the it bleeding on the master cylinder. Just wanted to come on here and Thank you for all your help before i finished bleeding them. I really appreciate it.

·
Registered
1,618 Posts
MotoJoe, my friend has a 2003 cbr 600 rr and for some reason the brakes are really messed up. When the bike is sitting still it has great brake pressure. As soon as you start riding it the brake will go strait to the bars like literally there is no pressure. If you pump the brake a few times it gains pressure back and will hold the pressure till you let go of the lever. Then you you have pump again to get pressure if you're moving. If you are stopped and pull and let go of the lever it never loses pressure, only when your moving. This is so weird. He just bought brand new spiegler brake lines and we bought the seals and rebuilt his calipers. He also bought a master cylinder off ebay but it looked beat up honestly. Does that sound like the master cylinder to you? Does any of this make sense? I'm baffled.

·
Registered
218 Posts
Awesome write up Joe. Followed your post to the letter,
and have great brakes again. So easy to do also, great to have experienced guys like you on this board !

·
Registered
295 Posts
I followed the write up from @moto_joe and it worked like a charm, thank you sir.
Update, just did the thing with the teflon tape, and there were some huge bobbles coming from the master cylinder, did the bleeding process to all three bleeding nipples, and there is such a huge difference, now the lever is so hard that out of the 6 position option i use the 3 or 4-th, and before i was positioned at 5 and still the lever was soft. Thank you @Moto_Joe i owe you a beer

·
Premium Member
397 Posts
Just did this bleed last night, thread tape n air hose was a pain to get on but other than that went smoothly. Ended up heating up the air hose to form it a little to get onto the nip easier, then tiny zip tie on top if it for a good seal. They've never been this firm before. Thanks MJ

Sent from Motorcycle.com App

·
Registered
6 Posts
Thanks Moto_joe!!

Just finished doing a bleed after the recall service on the master cylinder was done by the dealer. Glad I did, there was ALOT of bubbles....

My bleed method was very similar to yours, however I like your method better and will adopt it as my new standard.

My lever now feels excellent! VERY solid feel, the best it's ever been.

·
Premium Member
117,182 Posts
Discussion Starter #335
Awesome news.

And unfortunately just because they are a dealer, or even "reputable mechanic" I've found many don't adequately bleed. Glad my write up helped.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Thanks Joe! So far so good. We'll see after a week or so if this fixes the fading!
Feels quite better than it did the last times I tried. I think the teflon tape is the magic bullet...and the over-the-arch rather than the pump-crack-close!

·
Registered
24 Posts
Moto-Joe, I have a question for you....

Do you remove the bleeder entirely, put the tape on it, then re-install? Do this with all three bleeders then start the bleeding process?

Why doesn't the fluid/air get sucked backwards when you let the lever out? I understand that your have the line ABOVE the bleed point and the air wants to go up, but if it is close to the bleed point I don't see how it wouldn't get sucked back in?

I have an L3 with a spongey lever. I've bled it traditionally (crack, pump, close, release, repeat), then done the zip tie thing - I don't understand how the zip tie worked, but it did.

Lever is better, but still pretty awful compared to other bikes I've ridden.

Is it possible that my master cylinder is to blame? My mates' brakes are ROCK solid. Mine is slightly spongey, still. It has had the recall done.

·
Not the powers that be, not even close.
23,130 Posts
Moto-Joe, I have a question for you....

Do you remove the bleeder entirely, put the tape on it, then re-install? Do this with all three bleeders then start the bleeding process?

Yes. Be careful to tape just the threads.

Why doesn't the fluid/air get sucked backwards when you let the lever out? I understand that your have the line ABOVE the bleed point and the air wants to go up, but if it is close to the bleed point I don't see how it wouldn't get sucked back in?

Close the bleeder screw before you let the lever go so it sucks fluid in from the reservoir instead of air back through the bleeder screw.

I have an L3 with a spongey lever. I've bled it traditionally (crack, pump, close, release, repeat), then done the zip tie thing - I don't understand how the zip tie worked, but it did.

Air was trapped in the master cylinder. Gasses are created in the master cylinder on the bikes affected by the recall by a chemical reaction between the brake fluid and master cylinder. This would temporarily take care of the gas bubble created, by giving it a place to escape.

Lever is better, but still pretty awful compared to other bikes I've ridden.

Is it possible that my master cylinder is to blame? My mates' brakes are ROCK solid. Mine is slightly spongey, still. It has had the recall done.
Was it not right when it left the dealership after the recall was performed? I'd take it back to them or try yourself again. :dunno

·
Registered
24 Posts
Was it not right when it left the dealership after the recall was performed? I'd take it back to them or try yourself again. :dunno
I didn't own the bike when the recall was performed. I bought it with 4,100km.

The previous owner was a middle aged guy that didn't ride it fast enough to probably notice that the front brakes were awful.

I used this method this morning to bleed the master cylinder itself, but I didn't use teflon, I just very lightly cracked them and slightly turned it until fluid came out.

The method worked fantastically and the lever is harder than ever. I'm sure it'll get better when I do the two callipers and re-do the MC.

Thanks, everyone.

321 - 340 of 372 Posts