Suzuki GSX-R Motorcycle Forums Gixxer.com banner

1 - 20 of 139 Posts

·
Registered
209 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I've been part of this site for a while, doing lots of reading and wrenching on my brother's 89 7/11 found here. Due to his constant nagging, I bit the bullet and bought myself an oiler!

Cost me $1000 from Waterloo. I'm currently owner number 9! :biggrin

So I started taking this thing apart and i've had quite a few surprises! First of all, this thing needs a LOT of work. It has about 50,000km's and parts from all over the spectrum.

Fairings removed

Neat little exhaust hanger

Zip ties EVERYWHERE!

·
Registered
209 Posts
Discussion Starter #3 (Edited)

butt nekkid

Not sure why it has a 91 600 ignitor though. I checked the vin on the engine and it was R-708, which seems correct. That would mean it needs the 32900-17D00 ignitor. Hmmm

That's all for now, until it warms up a bit (-13f)...

Here's a list of things I'll be replacing.
-Throttle Cable
-Clutch Cable
-Tires (Continental)
-Wheel Bearings
-Steering Bearings
-Plugs
-Wires
-Air Filters (Pods)
-Stage 1 Dynojet
-Sprockets (May do 0/+1)
-Chain
-Oil/Filter
-Brake Fluid
-Braided Lines (Galfer)
-Oil Cooler (Earls + fittings)
-Brake Discs/Rotors
-Brake Pads
-Fork Fluid
-Petcock Rebuild
-Considering Dyna igniter and Coils (DDK3-3, DC1-3)

Oh, and this will be a streetfighter project :D

·
Premium Member
4,480 Posts
right on! thanks for saving it and keep us posted. if you buy a red R, you can buy and sell parts in the classified.

·
Banned
23,398 Posts
I'm digging that exhaust hangar and fender discriminator.
Customization at it's best!
9 owners with 81 lives!
Yikes!
Paintwork looks quite nice considering though!
The things folks will do to these old girls is just a tragedy sometimes!

·
Registered
209 Posts
Discussion Starter #8 (Edited)
It looks like it's had a previous paint job. There's orange peep and some overspray. The Frame looks like it's been shot with some silver paint as well!

It's getting warmer tomorrow, which means more pics to come!

Also, These panels aren't for the 89 gsxr, are they? I'm thinking 88 (going by the writing on the seat :D)

I love the final touch of sliced fuel line ahahhaha. points for creativity!!

And finally, the side plastics. No 750 written on them. Probably because of the paint job. I like those front...errrr....rear turn signals :D

·
Registered
209 Posts
Discussion Starter #9 (Edited)
More wrenching last night. Oh the surprises!!

No codder pins anywhere

Did the 89 ever come with the adjustable wheel axle things? My parts diagram shows the basic 'through swingarm' setup where you'll pull on the wheel and tighten it up. On ebay I'll see swingarms like mine listed as 88-92. My wheel is also a 170, not a 160. Difference swingarm?? :D

·
Registered
209 Posts
Discussion Starter #10

Missing fuel line clamp

Oh the humanity!

I gave up taking out the airbox. Looks like I need to either take out the engine or alternator...

·
Banned
23,398 Posts
Sometimes the best thing to do is to start at square one or ground zero!
Often there are soooo many things to undo, it just pays to undo it all rather than chase gremlins as they inevitably crop up.
Bikes this old (9 previous owners you say?) lead hard lives and see God knows how many mechanical travesties along the way.
ASSume it was probably done wrong and do it over and do it right and that problem will never come back to haunt you.
Easier said than done...Yes!
Ultimately rewarding and safe...Hell Yes!
F.W.I.W...I have seen those cobby welds on the rear of the swing arm where the adjusters are, fracture and stress crack.
Have a long hard look at them while you have the rear wheel off!

·
Premium Member
461 Posts
Good luck with the project man. I'm interested to buy front brake rotors if they are for sale. PM me if you are interested.

Cheers,
Stavros

·
Registered
209 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Good luck with the project man. I'm interested to buy front brake rotors if they are for sale. PM me if you are interested.

Cheers,
Stavros

I don't know if these are any good. They look pretty shot. I'm not too sure about turning motorcycle rotors. That's the reason why I was looking into buying some new ones. I'll keep you posted though!

·
Registered
209 Posts
Discussion Starter #17

Tomorrow we tackle the headers, engine and front wheel! I'm thinking of building a stand for the motor so I can run it without it being on the bike

·
Registered
158 Posts
good luck and enjoy your rebuild. Ill be watching with keen interest as im at the same stage with mine. keep me in mind if your selling the speedometer.

·
Banned
23,398 Posts
Good to see you are going the extra mile here!
What you reap is what you sew and I think you'll be richly rewarded with a good running Reliable ride when you are done!

·
Registered
209 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
Motor is out!! I think I should make a mount for it, as well as figure out something for the frame so I can take the swingarm and fork out.

I also noticed that my headers are 4-1, like the 1990 model. So 1 90 swingarm and a 90 exhaust, but an 89 motor, fork and frame? More pics to come!

Sludgy frame bolts

Oh SNAP!!

Dirtyyyy

1 - 20 of 139 Posts