Suzuki GSX-R Motorcycle Forums Gixxer.com banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
73 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
If a full system gives you more PEAK HP than a Bolt on system. Why are a lot of people buying Full systems just to ride on the street, when a Bolt on system gives more midrange (the power that you will use on the street everday all day). Is this just to say that " MY 04 1000 DYNOed AT "?" HP? Correct me if I am wrong but does'nt a Bolt on system give more midrange being that it still has the set valve installed. Isn't this the best way to get useable power???

Thanks

ONE

·
Registered
565 Posts
well i think its just because people want the maximum power if they are gonna spend the money and after awhile you need to make the bike faster cause you get used to it. Some people probly get it to show off there numbers but personally i do not race so im gettin a slip on for my 1000 because its enough for me. I wish i new weather the slip on gives more midrange but i dunno cause it does not make sense why it would. Then you also cant get a slip on and then decide you want a full and still use the muffler so many people probly figure screw it im gettin the whole thing.

·
Registered
919 Posts
The whole idea that a slip on makes more mid range power is CRAP. whatever power a slip on makes, a good full system will make that plus 6 or 7 more (on a 1000)... the reason most people get full systems is so, yes, they can brag - but if dyno tuned correctly, the full system will DEFINITELY make more power EVERYWHERE than the slip on

·
Registered
551 Posts
If there is only a few hundred dollars difference between full system and slip-on then why not. I read alot about riders in Europe using slip- ons and power commanders. I don't know if that is because they are stricter on noise limits or not but alot of them find it effective. If it were me I would get full system. You'll never use the full potential on the street with a stock pipe, if you are going to waste money, waste alot of money! LMAO!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

2 DOWN RYDAZ 4 EVER!

·
Premium Member
73,190 Posts
if you purchase a well engineered full system, and have it mapped coreectly, you will 99% of the time gain hp over the entire rpm range. it only may be 1 or 2 hp down low, but can be upwards of 10-13 up top. for those of us that spend a majority of our riding time in the top half of the rpm range, or for those of us whose street bikes double as track bikes, a full system makes perfect sense, and we can justify spending the extra money.

·
Registered
73 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
anthony de marco

But if all you do street riding would a bolt on be better? I thought that a bolt gave more TORQUE in the middle becase of the set valve.
I might be wrong.

Thanks

ONE

·
Registered
819 Posts
The whole idea that a slip on makes more mid range power is CRAP. whatever power a slip on makes, a good full system will make that plus 6 or 7 more (on a 1000)... the reason most people get full systems is so, yes, they can brag - but if dyno tuned correctly, the full system will DEFINITELY make more power EVERYWHERE than the slip on
I just had a guy tell me that I wont get any HP gain to my '03 zuk 1k if I add an arata full system. I already have a stage 3 kit to my bike. How true is this?

·
GSX-R Enthusiast
2,546 Posts
I just had a guy tell me that I wont get any HP gain to my '03 zuk 1k if I add an arata full system. I already have a stage 3 kit to my bike. How true is this?
Well here is a dyno pull from Akropovic comparing a standard K3 system to the Akro Evo full system and you can see the difference in how the power comes on. Notice at around 2,000-2,600 and 3,800 to 5,200 rpm's the stock system is stronger than the full system. But then the Evo spikes and dips then climbs from about 5,200 rpm on up. So you can see why some riders may like the stock system better because of where you want the power. Racers are using the top-end more often so it makes sense to want the full system.

Stock = 151.1 HP / 10850 rpm
Akro Evo = 158.8HP / 11500 rpm

As far as the bolt-on/slip-on over a full system probably runs more along the stock curve than the full system or maybe a little of both as a compromise but that's just my assumption.

·
Registered
3,097 Posts
From what i've personally seen on Dyno runs - and being around bikes for a loong time - a few years ago, a full system was the way to go for bigger power. These days the Yoshi's and Akro's actually work with the manufacturers, so you are getting as stock - some of the best headers money can buy, it's in the manufacturers interest to pay the exhaust manufacs big $$$ to get tehse systems as standard, because there is more money in full house bikes than aftermarket exhausts.
Bottom line is - these days a stock exhaust is pretty damn good, a full race "system" that is designed to give TOP end power, for race use only - will move power out of the midrange and add numbers up top - that's exactly what racers want, street riders....well their Ego's need stroking so sometimes the biggest numbers win.
Personally - a slip on, well mapped, set up, will prolly outperform a badly set up, or badly ridden full system....S

·
Registered
73 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
SI 9

That's a very good point.

Thanks

ONE

·
Highly unstable
32,025 Posts
as a racer its not always about top end with the big bikes.. coming off corners your not running it in the high rpms like a 600. you want good, smooth, tractable power.. you dont want dips or spikes.. sure, good top end is nice on a track with a long straight away, but not all tracks are set up like that. a good midrange will take you a long way on most road courses on a liter bike.

·
Premium Member
41,722 Posts
If your running a stock motor and your not racing get a bolt or slip on. For a modded motor or you race where you stay up in the RPMs go with full system.

·
Registered
819 Posts
If your running a stock motor and your not racing get a bolt or slip on. For a modded motor or you race where you stay up in the RPMs go with full system.
Okay, I have a stage 3 kit but I want more low end and midrange. Would you still suggest a full system or bolt on. The bike is 169 rwhp right now. I just want more pull at low and midrange.

·
Premium Member
41,722 Posts
Okay, I have a stage 3 kit but I want more low end and midrange. Would you still suggest a full system or bolt on. The bike is 169 rwhp right now. I just want more pull at low and midrange.
I would get a full system and a custom map done. If your still not happy, go +1 or 2 in the rear

·
Registered
1,076 Posts
Then I personally would strongly suggest different gearing. Its the cheapest way to get more pull at the low/midrange. If I had that much hp already without a full system, I would also add a good quality full system. I would hate the thought of having such a strong bike and not get the most out of it, even if its just 3-5hp.

·
Chubby Chaser
57,837 Posts
I agree, I wouldn't make use of the power gain mainly on top, so a slip-on will suite my K5 just fine. Not only that, but the entire exhaust header on the new Gixxers are crafted from titanium, why swap that out for a stainless steel unit that weighs more unless you REALLY need it.

·
Registered
515 Posts
I couldn't find dyno graphs on the Ti Force website for the slip on (03 1000). They only had one and I'm assuming that was the full system. Does anyone know of a slip on vs full system dyno graph? Does the Hindle or any other exhaust manufacturer have this?

1 - 19 of 19 Posts