Suzuki GSX-R Motorcycle Forums Gixxer.com banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
167 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Okay, first things first. When I purchased my 96 750, the previous owner told me the choke has a problem with sticking and just to wiggle the cable. I was like, yeah whatever man and I did that for about 2 weeks. Recently, I noticed a power loss after a friend brought the bike up to around 145mph. After inspection of taking off airbox and such, I noticed not only was the always half on, but there was oil residue all over outside of carbs and inside of airbox. Now this loss of power I have. Could this be a fouled plug or something more costly? Could carbs have been thrown out of sync or floats whacked? Please help. Choke is always off now.

·
Premium Member
10,263 Posts
Sounds liek a jetting problem... But the oil is normal... If you want to get rid of that then you need to get a K&N breather filter and plug the spot on teh air box that goes to the crankcase.. Use the hose and just put the K&N filter on the end of it.

Clean the carbs and air box really good, re sync them and then see.. You might want to put plugs in there since you are there.

John

·
Registered
138 Posts
i had a problem similar to that on my 96. The choke arm was only connected to two carbs. Check that if you have not already. New plugs never hurt.

·
Registered
167 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Another thing, sorry I Forgot to mention this. GSXR-Freak. How could it be a jetting problem? I haven't changed the way the bike breathes since it ran perfect. It also backfires sometimes too and Im not sure if that would help troubleshoot. Thanks for the feedback guys

·
Registered
645 Posts
I'd get a Clymer manual (since they're cheap). They have good troubleshooting flowcharts and diagrams. Sounds like either fuel delivery isn't happening or bad ignition components.

·
Premium Member
10,263 Posts
Well did you make any mods to the bike?

check your air filter make sure it is clean... and then make sure that your plugs are good...

John

·
Registered
167 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
The only mods on the bike are a RS3 slipon that was there when I got it. Stock Airbox with stock air filter.

·
Premium Member
10,263 Posts
Well the slip on could case it... I had a firend with the same problem... Are you any good with carbs? If so you might want to try getting a 2mm thick shim and put it in the needle on each carb.. that should add a bit more fuel to the mid range...

John

·
Registered
167 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
I am really not good with carbs or in other words have never touched the damn things in my life. You seem to be the man at fixing problems and I don't really know too much about engines but wouldn't putting more fuel into the carb be sorta like leaving the choke on or the problem I was having in a loss of power before?

·
Premium Member
10,263 Posts
The choke does add more fuel (I think) but it does it in a different way and in a different amount.. The 2mm shim isnt very much at all...

John

·
Registered
645 Posts
I'd say rebuild the carbs if all this drama is going down. Get the manual and build em baby! Then this way, if you hook up with merc sticks and a good manual, jetting kit, and a couple basic tools like philips screw driver, needle nose pliers, allen keys, and couple other small necessities, then you're set. It's not hard at all, but time consuming. Say several hours in making sure you're put together correctly, and getting sync'd and fuel is adjusted right.

·
Registered
167 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Damn I wish some of you smart asses were from my area. Up here in maine there isn't even a performance shop that will even dyno tune. Pretty freakin unreal. I would have to drive to mass to even get it done. If anyone is even close and reads this, I will drive pretty hard to learn some stuff. I am not really confident enough to tackle a carb project by myself. Thanks for the help though guys

David G

1 - 12 of 12 Posts