Suzuki GSX-R Motorcycle Forums Gixxer.com banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
33 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi all,

Ive been having an issue lately where my bikes headlight would turn on upon ignition however no dash lights (apart from back light and Neutral)

I could work around it be flicking the kill switch a couple of time or even turning the key off/on a few times.

Yesterday I stopped for fuel and could not get the bike to start with all of my fancy tricks described above.

Now, my bike has had its wired crossed by the previous owner and the wiring is a mess - I have a constant red light for example and C00 and there are many cables joined randomly with tape (something must have gone horribly wrong in its last life) I spent a lot of time and money on this bike to make it right over the last year and up until around a week ago its been fine until this problem occured.

My fuel pump priming is one of these dodgy things, it primes constantly and never stops that whining noise. It also does not have the 10AMP fuse in for fuel as putting this fuse in makes the fuel pump prime constantly, even with no key in.

On this morning my bike did not light up or prime at the petrol station I put this 10amp fuse is and basically it lit up and started as it normally would, so I could get to work and back from work I used this work around and just had to remember to remove the fuse when I stopped the bike as it would sit whining even with the key out and kill switch on.

This is another story - id like to rectify this fuel circuit issue one day but for now I just needed to understand why my bike stopped turning on as it has done so for the last year. I found an issues (see picture of what looks like some kind of ground/ earth block) which is black and gets very hot - I cannot get this apart as I suspect its melted however I did managed to prime it apart slightly and now the bike works as it should. So my question is what s this block? what can I replace it with? (maybe some kind of amp terminal block) ? why would it blow like this?

This bike had a similar issue around 4 months ago and I found the green coupler which connects the ignition cables to the loom had blown and I replaced this with a 15AMP terminal block (image attached) could this be related in any way?

Attachments

·
You should listen to me. No, seriously, listen to
7,703 Posts
The white block with black from overheating is a jumper that simplifies installing an alarm, i.e. the jumper is removed and the alarm is installed in its place. I think it's only present on immobilizer equipped bikes. The terminals inside the block are probably corroded and failing, which leads to ohmic heating. The contacts need to be replaced but I think the male pins of the jumper are molded into the outside part and Suzuki doesn't sell it. You might be able to get one from an alarm installer as a take-off. The bike won't run if this connector isn't connected. Things are only going to get worse. You probably ought to replace the wiring harness. Adding additional patches is only going to add to your aggravation.

Your first pic seems to show a black wire coming out of the ECM. Is that right? That's insane if so.

·
I know things... A lot of things.
3,147 Posts
Splices, connections and even wires themselves, have some resistance, which produces heat as currents pass through it. Normally, an electrical installation is designed with this in mind, so that it doesn't cause failures, assuming proper use and maintenance. Things can go wrong for many reasons though: adding electrical bells and whistles, that the system wasn't designed for, can increase the currents and hence heat at connectors and parts of the wiring, as can shorts due to bad maintenance. Exposure to the elements (in combination with design flaws or, much more likely, mods and bad maintenance that increase the exposure of parts of the electrical system - e.g. wires pulled along with their insulations from connectors, missing pieces of fairing, improper routing, etc.) can allow the connectors to collect rust or grime, raising their resistance and hence heat. Once connections start to overheat, the rate of deterioration is accelerated, as they expand or deform.

The solution, is generally to replace the wiring or connectors in question, but given the state of your electrics, perhaps you should consider replacing the whole loom with a used part. Even with bad luck and a small budget, you can probably end up with something that'll be a substantial improvement.

Regarding the specific problems you mention: the earth block is probably just that, a point where all the grounds are spliced together. Overcurrents and shorts, usually lead to the problem you've encountered. More importantly perhaps, having an unfused fuel circuit of all things, can lead to shorts and intense heat near or inside your fuel supply. I assume I don't have to draw you a picture...

·
Registered
33 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Both correct - yes that is a wire coming out of the ECU - I brought a new ECU and had a key programmed (£800) and the bike does not like it at all. I think I will be going down the route of replacing the whole loom and just hopefully the new ECU will work. Love this bike to just be back to stock - I think thats going to cost me a bit though... but likely save my life, yes no picture required.

For this block - you say that the cables are likely spliced together right> so I suspect I can change this with an amp terminal block and electrical tape it up in the mean time? (until I find a good loom)

·
7,703 Posts
There are earth blocks but the location continues to make me suspect that it's an external alarm connector. The way to tell is to check the leads to it. If it's an earth block, the leads will all be B/W. If it's an external alarm connector, there will be four black leads to it and there will be a nearby unconnected single lead connector with a black lead. Suzuki hides the lead functions by making everything black. The leads are not the same and should not all be shorted together. The shorting plug only shorts two of the four leads. Here's a bike where the plug has been removed and a Meta alarm connected to both connectors:
http://i63.tinypic.com/2i96lp3.jpg

Suzuki uses distribution blocks for the grounds and the ignition coils. As far as I know, they consist of a white female connector with a black cap. Beneath the cap is a metal joint connector that looks something like a multi-male pin.

·
Registered
33 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Yes - all black. I’m certain this is the ground/ earth block.

I’ll prize off the connected cap and see what it looks like - I’ll get some pics in the next hour

Thanks!

·
7,703 Posts
That's the external alarm connector and shorting plug. It's not a ground/earth block. Here's what the plug should look like:
http://i63.tinypic.com/35m3x1v.jpg

Note that, as previously stated, the shorting plug only connects two of the four leads. The other two are unconnected. If you connect all four together and are lucky, you'll blow a fuse. Otherwise you'll damage something. You can see that the female pins associated with your plug have been overheating. Everything including the shorting plug is toast and needs to be replaced. AFAIK Suzuki doesn't sell the plug. You could hunt around for one or buy a mating connector and make a shorting plug from it.

I see what looks like black heat shrink on some of the leads to your connector. Compare it with my earlier pic. Someone has been fooling around there, probably connecting an alarm without using the Suzuki connectors. Power to the ECM flows through the shorting plug so those connections must be in very good condition.

·
7,703 Posts
Here's five male and female connectors plus the contacts for less than $3. You could sell the excess to your friends. In my experience shipping will take 4-6 weeks. No guarantees.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts