Suzuki GSX-R Motorcycle Forums Gixxer.com banner
1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
IM HERE AND THERE!!!!
180 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
blew up engine saturday,made best pass of my life not including thelast 50-60 ft when the motor blew. anyone know where i can get pistons and other things for GSX-R 600 motors. any help would be appreciated have to make next race in 2 weeks...thanks

·
Registered
3,536 Posts
I'm not sure how much it would cost you to rebuild a motor, it might be cheaper to get another 600 motor from ebay?

More details on exactly what happened, why it happened?

·
IM HERE AND THERE!!!!
180 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
40 shot nitrous and hit rev limiter. blew head gasket and valves hit piston. valves are ok pistons need replaced cylinder 1 & 4 need gasket set for entire motor and main bearing set. from what i have found it will cost about $800 to fix. thats keeping it stock. have heard that Wiseco has a low compression piston made for nitrous. thinking about going with them and then going wet system instead of dry.. what do ya'll think

·
Registered
1,333 Posts
Now would be a great time to get new pistons and have new cams put in the head and have the head really worked with bigger vavles if possible. I am guessing since you were spraying it you like to go fast. Then why would you put a stocker back in it? Bigger, Better, and FASTER!!!

·
IM HERE AND THERE!!!!
180 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
ill repair it stock so i don't miss any races, then this winter ill pull it out and put a 1000 engine that im gonna buy and build up

·
Registered
94 Posts
Why would you use lower compression pistons for nitrous. Nitrous loves compression. Dished pistons are for boost.

·
Registered
1,618 Posts
budlightnmyhand = blown up motor too only with a dry 30 shot, not sure what happened. This wasn't the best time for this to happen to me since i'm purchasing a home right now and i need most of my money saved up to put down as down payment on house so shoud i wait till winter and find an 02 1000 motor to drop in?? I think i cracked my head and burnt a valve or burnt a hole through a piston. NOt sure cause i don't really have any place to take apart my bike to find out since i'll be moving and i don't want parts laying all over and then try to move them without loosing anything.

looks like no more riding this year for me.

Mike

·
Registered
941 Posts
Bummer....

·
Registered
1,618 Posts
at the moment i'm looking at just getting a whole new 600 motor so i can just hurry and put it on and not have to change all the wiring, then maybe build the broken motor back up for nitrous, so i'll probably keep the kit at least for the time being.

Mike

·
Registered
941 Posts
i've heard that the dry set up is not as good as the wet......something about the spray not getting into the cylinders evenly....

·
Registered
1,618 Posts
01 gixxer that is very true, that could have happened to me. Not sure. none of the plugs are damage as in smashed but they looked like they had a greenish tint when i took them out but after they dried they were a little white so i probably just went lean. I had an a/f meter on there to and it never showed lean so i don't know what the fuck happened. and i just put new plugs in this spring and gapped them as tight as the factory specs said. I might have needed colder plugs or something. I don't care, bikes blown up. Time for new motor don't have time to try to fix this one. I'll save it and put lower compression pistons in it and spray a 40 wet shot to it next year if i have the funds after buying a house
hahahaha, yeah right.

Mike

·
IM HERE AND THERE!!!!
180 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
im selling my dry kit if anyone wants it $400 includes 2 nozzles, bottle and 3 sets of jets.

·
Registered
274 Posts

nitrous = boost = supercharger = turbocharger = forced induction.................

You are correct in the "forced induction" part. But Nitrous is not like the other two. Your not forcing a certain psi of air like you are with boost. What your doing is cooling the air charge and supplying a sorce of pure oxygen into the cylinder for a larger explosion. (pure oxygen after the split at right temp for the people who like to pick appart whay others say.)
In other words yes Nitrous does like different (higer) compression than a turbo or supercharged motor.

·
Registered
274 Posts
naaaaaa.....you're wrong.....
go read this

http://www.beckracing.com/page14.htm
HA you may wasnt to read that article a little closer yourself.
His views and mine are alike.
You say to lower compression like a turbo or supersharged car.
He sais "There is no free lunch in horsepower equations because to get 1000 PSI above the piston in the second example takes twice as much fuel and energy as the 1000 PSI in the first example. What this offsetting of the peak pressure does is allow us to use the extra fuel mix available to a nitrous engine without breaking and melting things. The system that allows us to postpone maximum cylinder pressure is ignition timing retard. To a lessor extent short rod ratios, lower compression ratios, high RPM, aluminum heads, a tight quench, a rich fuel mixture, a small carburetor and hotter cams tend to delay maximum cylinder pressure.
"
READ : TO A LESSER EXTENT
And then there is this quote from his article also.
"High compression ratios can be used with nitrous but shifting the maximum pressure after top dead center becomes more and more difficult. I prefer to use street compression ratios and then just work with adding more nitrous to get desired horsepower levels. "
So where do you get from that article to LOWER compression like a supercharger or turbo application? What I get from it is higher compression motors work but it's more difficult for the average joe. So Normal cylinder pressures are good. Nowhere does it say low compression is better then high.

·
Registered
1,844 Posts
from this one simple statement in that article you apparently didnt read?
"The strongest engines have less compression ratio, less spark advance, and more nitrous."
Go look at some piston manufacturers info.....often list pistons as Turbo/nitrous apps......

Regardless dude.......just don't care enough to keep going on this.....
You gou build your high compressino nitrous motors and enjoy.....

1 - 19 of 19 Posts