Suzuki GSX-R Motorcycle Forums Gixxer.com banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
309 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Ok i'm having alittle trouble bleeding my brakes or rather getting pressure back in my rear brake after i bled it. I put dot 3 in at one point during bike week because i had no fluid and EVERYONE in daytona was out of dot4 cause of the event. So the other day i went to put in some synthetic dot3/dot4 (valvoline synpower abs brake fluid thats supposed to exceed dot3 and dot4 whatever that means...it was the only dot4 i could find).

So i drained all the old fluid, put in new fluid. Then i opened the banjo nut on the main line and bleed all the big airbubbles out till it poured fluid out on every pump. Then i loosened the front bleeder valve and bleed it till it started to pour nothing but fluid on every pump, then i did the same to the bottom bleeder valve. So it seemed like i got all the air out of the line. Next i closed everything up, topped off the fluid and began to pump my brake repeatidly to build pressure and after more than 45 minutes of pumping i still have no pressure and my brake still doesn't engage at all.

I tried searchin for posts about this and searching for a write up but i came up basically empty handed. What should i do? What am i doint wrong?
I saw a post about some kind of brake bleeder pump but i thought that was just to get the air bubbles out, would using that actually give me pressure? Better yet is there a way to do it without spending the $50 bucks on it (advanced auto parts had one for $49.99 and its the only one i could find.)

Thanx in advance for the help

·
Banned
661 Posts
Bleed the master cylinder, there's still air in it. Pump it up then hold, release the banjo nut on the master,when fluid and air comes out retighten and repeat untill the air is gone. then bleed the rest of the system.

·
Here is your "R"
6,926 Posts
Crack open the bleeder screw, open the cap of the MC fill it with fluid to the top. Start with the closes caliper to the MC the front right brake lever side. Pump it till you see a steady stream pour out, you still have lots of air in the system. Once youve let out a lot of the brake fluid tighten the bleeder pump it a few times, stop and break loose the bleeder for a sec. Do the same for the other side then go back and rebleed both one by one.

·
Registered
300 Posts
Bleed the master cylinder, there's still air in it. Pump it up then hold, release the banjo nut on the master,when fluid and air comes out retighten and repeat untill the air is gone. then bleed the rest of the system.
I had the same problem and I bled the air at the top from the master cylinder and that helped a bunch. Still had a few more bubbles come out of the caliper bleeder screw, but at least I got pressure to build.

Be sure to put a rag under / around / above because it is a little messy.

I found a good procedure from JULIA here on GDC. Try a search. Once I found her post / reply, I was done in about 10 minutes.

·
Registered
29 Posts
i just used a mityvac pump bleeder kit, its way easier than trying to pump the lever.. you still have air in your MC tho.. its just your rear, who uses that.. haha.. anywayz, your gonna have to bleed the shit out of it if you drained out all the fluid so there's air in every part of your system..

·
Premium Member
18,689 Posts
just a tip but also moving the lines, tapping any metal like the caliper helps bubbles to release if they are stuck anywhere. this is after you think it's done or almost done then pump some more out.

If you have a tiny leak it might also make it hard. You can zip tie your brake lever all the way back like you're applying max pressure and leave it overnight then come back and check all your banjo fittings, but you should still be able to get the brakes firm for a few days even with a tiny leak.

I also put a loop in the middle of the clear hose i attach to the caliper nipple. This way once bubbles get pushed around the loop they can't come back up the line.

It's probably your MC but these are things i do w/ every bleeding procedure to make sure I end up with a good job done.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts