Suzuki GSX-R Motorcycle Forums Gixxer.com banner

1 - 20 of 34 Posts
G

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Let's face it... No-one wants a moped for their first bike (well - some do. But they're on another forum ; ) ). So it's a bit of a hard sell trying to get the newbies to turn their heads away from that sexy R1 or G1K add in the latest copy of CycleWorld in favor of what they see as an underpowered 'beginner bike'. But what the new guys & gals don't realize is that, among REAL RIDERS, there are plenty of bikes out there that command much respect among those in the know. Here's a couple of bikes that would definitely capture the admiration of my friends (and most experienced riders on this forum). And this is straight-up. About the only people who won't consider these bad-ass bikes, new riders, are your old friends who don't know shit about bikes

1) An SV650S - Ultra Light, Ultra Nimble, corner carving machines. You see so many of these on the track nowdays. They rule the Lightweight classes. Cost is very reasonable so you can pour money into aftermarket goodies (which are available by the boatload, thanks to this bike's popularity)! Looks are great as is, or you can throw race plastics on them and have something like this:

2) The Suzuki Bandit 600. Excellent all-around bike. But kind of plain, right? Not at all!!!Use the money you save on a brand new Gixxer 1K to build something like this! (I'm drooling! )

[ 01-28-2003, 12:04 AM: Message edited by: leanangle_750 ]

G

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
so true...so true...

i can vouch for the SV's nimbleness and the fun factor is way up there! even in stock form!

·
Registered
5,804 Posts
there is no respect for the beginner who gets a g1k

where as there is respect and help for the guy or gal that makes a more informed choice
theres more respect for the person who can ride the ass off an sv than a fool on a G1K wheelying with no gear on

real bikers know

·
Registered
3,709 Posts
That sv650s looks badass, makes me wish i got one instead of a gixxer 600!

·
Registered
11 Posts
ahh the SVS... that is what I'd prefer to have as my first bike.... and prolly final bike.... but the only bad thing about em is you just cant find them used..... new they rack 6300 out the door... but good luck finding a used one...

lovely bikes, and the new style is great...

Torinalth

·
Registered
314 Posts
I started out with a 98' 900RR and now I ride a GSXR 600. Wish I started on a six and not so big of a bike. Start small and work your way up, it's the better way to go.

·
Registered
123 Posts
Too true!
I started at 16 with a 50cc (for a year)
17...70cc (for a year)
21...100cc
22...250cc
23...750cc
And I like where I am at!

·
Registered
5,768 Posts
aaaarrrrrrggggghhhhhhhh i miss my 6
hopefully i will get another for my stable

·
Registered
1,630 Posts
Hey Leanangle you forgot to mention the Honda Hornet 600. Like the SV it's lightweight , fast, cheap and there are plenty of mods for it. Over here it has sold more than double the SV. On the track it's said to be as fast as the SV. For me it's one of the best buys around.

·
Registered
221 Posts
It's not what you ride, it's how you ride it that gets respect, in my eyes anyway. If you can show me a bike more fun than a '77 CG125 I'll eat my hat!

G

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Originally posted by Steve Strange:
Hey Leanangle you forgot to mention the Honda Hornet 600. Like the SV it's lightweight , fast, cheap and there are plenty of mods for it. Over here it has sold more than double the SV. On the track it's said to be as fast as the SV. For me it's one of the best buys around.
<font size="2" face="Verdana, Arial">Nice bike!
(I had to do some research!)

I'd never seen one of those before. After doing some web searching, it looks like it's not available in the states

Throw up pics, guys! This is for giving newbies sexy, fun bike options (other than the GSXR-1000 death machine their friends think they should get)

[ 01-29-2003, 04:24 PM: Message edited by: leanangle_750 ]

·
Registered
405 Posts
well...i must say that after looking at that SV
racebike, that I now have a hardon!...damn, it looks good! I always liked the way they looked stock, but that.....! wow!
always better to start small and build up!

i started with honda cruiser back in the day to learn how to shift, and also had a honda aero 50 scooter, then moved to a honda interceptor, then a gix6 and now a gix7

·
Registered
5,571 Posts
friend of mine just picked up a honda 600 hornet yesterday (it has a bikini fairing) nice nimble bike to ride around, and a excellent step for someone coming off a 250 and dont want a sports bike

I started on a yz80/125 when i was 15

then had RG250 and couple RGv250's

then gixxer 750, tlr and now 03 r1, i think if i got the r1 as a 1st bike and i was 20, i would be 6 foot under now

·
Registered
623 Posts
If you ride like a squid, you will never get respect. I can out ride most people on my old ass Katana fer Christsake. Experience and ability comes first.

·
Registered
221 Posts
Originally posted by meanstrk:
If you ride like a squid, you will never get respect. I can out ride most people on my old ass Katana fer Christsake. Experience and ability comes first.
<font size="2" face="Verdana, Arial">
Darn tootin'!
I respect anyone who rides within' their limits though, because otherwise yer just a twat. I played (won't say raced because he was slow and dangerous) with a guy on an R1 before now, and he was taking crazy risks overtaking taffic just to stay in front of a 750. Funny thing was as soon as we got a clear road, I'd catch him up and piss past him on the brakes or something!
What a tosser! We pulled over afterwards just to say hey and this was his excuse "Oh I wasn't gonna go too crazy because it was a little windy." Fucking twat. If ya can't handle an R1 in slight wind you shouldn't bloody own one!!

·
Registered
815 Posts
Originally posted by LooneyonaWT:
I respect anyone who rides within' their limits though, because otherwise yer just a twat.
<font size="2" face="Verdana, Arial">Couldn't agree with you more. Any newbie that tries to out do other's and themselves at the same time is going to end up skidding across the road. Not to mention that they aren't honest with themselves trying stuff they know they can't do, but do it anyways..

[ 01-31-2003, 11:14 AM: Message edited by: AzGixxxer ]

1 - 20 of 34 Posts