Suzuki GSX-R Motorcycle Forums Gixxer.com banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
4,896 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
thanx for the advise last time my gixxerr started up on the second try after the modifications , but i need help again..the bike starts and runs great but after i turn it off and recrank it it seems to sputter a little and takes a minute to get its head together and purrr but after a minute it does. got any answers for this ..plus when i parked it tonight it had about 1 or 2 gallons of high test in it i noticed it was leaking gas from the carbs and thought it would stop after a few minutes plus i tryed turning the switch to different positions hoping it would finally slow. i left and when i came back all the gas wad drained on the ground... WTF let me know about this is it gonna hurt the pulgs or WTF.????????????

·
Premium Member
3,306 Posts
Bad petcock, bad! It isn't shutting off and fuel runs out the carb overflow and into the airbox and out. Rebuild/replace petcock. Troy341

·
Registered
4,896 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
thatsa my thought as well because either way the knob is turned it still comes I got one bidding on ebay as we speak for now maybe I'll pull it off and disassemble, clean,inspect, and replace if i need i'll use clamps to stop the fuel flow when not runnning i just got her back in one piece after a major restoration i'll send pics

·
Registered
4,896 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Re: bikes runs like a rocket but..??!?!? *DELETED*

Post deleted by 777_R_U_NVS_777

·
Registered
4,896 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
well heres the update i cleaned the petcock and carbs plugs reassembled and it cranked right up so i took it for a spin up the road about 5 miles it started to cough at me i inspected the carbs and gas was again pouring from the back of the carbs still i saw a rider and we stopped at his place for a minute it leaked gas untill i clamped off the hoses i brought a pair of clamps just for this so is the pet cock still to blame for the gas leaking.??? or is the carbs WTF.???
I'm starting to feel like i'll never get this thing to run properly i repeated the same thing it acted to run better untill about ten minutes of riding it was again coughing i am guessing it was begining to flood at this point the low and mid range power it misses and coughs but about 8'000 rpms it kicks into the wind it acted like if i kept reving it up high the gas wouldnt leak..??? anyone got one of these----->
that would be

·
Premium Member
3,306 Posts
If it is running out while riding, the float needles and seats are bad too. Replace them. Troy341

·
Registered
3,895 Posts
I had trouble with these in mine, and after I looked up the part numbers for the needles/seats and found out that they are "discontinued" (according to ron ayers) I replaced the floats/needle/seat assemblies with the ones from the newer (water-cooled) carbs. Suzuki changed the design of the things to a one-piece "cage" sorta thing for the `93 and newer ones - and although the part#'s are different, the 36mm and 38mm oil-cooled carb-bodies will accept the float-cage assembly thingies from the 36mm and 38mm water-cooled carbs. Mine have worked well but you *must* be certain that you don't have any fine rust/sediment stuff in the fuel-tank or you will forever have trouble with this.

·
Registered
3,895 Posts
Maybe a filter would be a good idea then. Troy341
I tried that on mine too - before I changed the fuel-system around for the fuel-pump (it's dedicated to feeding the N2O system). The only filters that were small enough to fit in the space would not pass enough fuel to keep the carbs topped-up when the throttle was open.

It's worth noting that I didn't spend much time trying to make the filters work because I didn't *need* them - I just installed them because I thought it would be a good idea (I was wrong).

It's also worth noting that I use a pingel and I knew that my issue was not related to the petcock itself.

If you have a tank with rust-residue or other debris inside, the best solution is to use some rustol and clean it out. If you suspect your stock petcock, then replace it.

My $0.02 - for whatever it's worth.

·
Registered
4,896 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
. I took a ride to pilot mtn. which is a state park in NC. which takes 30 to 45 minutes from here. It did good on that run so i took it again on some highway riding. remember i just put the thing into one piece and am testing the performance. it spits and, miss fires from lower rpms to high then kicks in strong untill 11,000 rpms(I dont wanna push it over the edge this soon) Midrange power sucks untill i really crack the throttle open... Yesterday i noticed a piece of trash looked like grass or straw if you will in the gas lines(yes i have clear lines) i drained the carb bowls into a glass and there was what looked like black *crap* in the bottom of the glass so i cleaned the carbs for my satisfaction. and hooked it all back up. so there is a product for rust removal i can clean the tank with but filters are not recommended.? i dont have any air filters on the bike and it runs like a scolded dog at first. man i need that petcock reuild kit to get here... is'nt the fuel filter supposed to be in the tank.?

·
Registered
4,896 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
ohh fast cat.? I did think about filters but got discouraged when i thought about gas not getting to the carbs quick enough too. Aslo what (pingel)>?? tnx guys I'll give it a go

·
Registered
4,896 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
what about a oem fuel filter in the tank it is not there does anyone know where to get one for a 92 gsxr 750.? and where can i find that rustol at.???

·
Registered
3,895 Posts
The stock petcock has a fine mesh screen-sock thingie in the tank - but it's not small enough to stop the sediment and tiny little particles that develop from rust in the tank rattling and vibrating with the engine.

Pingel is an aftermarket, high-flow petcock. They are larger and shaped differently from the stock one, and are a bear to fit in-place and still be able to reach it (ya hafta turn it on and off manually, it's not operated by engine-vacuum like the stock one).

Rustol can be had at some cycle shops - or the only place I know of online where you can buy it is www.sudco.com. You can call sudco and order it directly from them if you don't have a better alternative. Note that Rustol is simply a rust-remover. You will want to FILL the tank (to the top) IMMEDIATELY after treating/cleaning it. The insides of the tank will be BARE metal and will quickly re-rust if you don't put fuel in it. The stuff is spendy, but it's the best way I know of to clean an old rusty tank.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts