Suzuki GSX-R Motorcycle Forums Gixxer.com banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
42 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have an 04 600 with about 12,000 miles. Yesterday at work it wouldn't start. I tried a couple of times with no luck. I hear the throttle bodies opening, it's in neutral, has gas, and the most I could get it to do was back fire. It has had a low, crappy idle for a week now that I thought just needed to be adjusted. The only other problem I've ever had with the bike was an FI code for the spark plugs about a month ago. Once I removed the power commander it was fine. I assumed the PCIII took a crap, and I haven't replaced the power commander yet. Last night I cleaned/regapped the plugs.

Does anyone have any suggestions as to what may be wrong with the bike? Any help would be greatly appreciated as I have to ride this thing to work on Monday. Thanks, Ryan.

·
Banned
15,031 Posts
so.. it is trying to turn over and you hear the throttle body, or what ever that noise is, spooling up?

but it won't start and run... and you said something about the idle, is it WAY low now? are u giving it a bit of gas as you start it, just to kick its butt to turn over and get her awake? How long has it been sitting since u last started it.?

·
Registered
42 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
gimpsta said:
so.. it is trying to turn over and you hear the throttle body, or what ever that noise is, spooling up?

but it won't start and run... and you said something about the idle, is it WAY low now? are u giving it a bit of gas as you start it, just to kick its butt to turn over and get her awake? How long has it been sitting since u last started it.?
Ya it's trying, and I've tried giving it some gas. Hell, I even tried WOT! The idle was a little low when it was cold, but it was right where it should be once it warmed up. However it sounded a little rough. It sat there for about 10.5hrs (at work). I'm trying to charge the battery now to see if maybe it was a little low.

GSXR6BOY said:
Make sure your CPS (cam pos. sensor) is not loose, since it shares the same ride that the coil wires do. Other then that I have no idea
Where's the CPS at? The sensor next to the #1 (left most) coil? If so it's firmly seated in there.

·
Registered
42 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
OK here's where I'm at now. I went to the dealership and got a new set of plugs, cleaned up the fuel filter (looked ok anyway), charged the battery, verified that the fuel pump is pumping right around where it should be, and I'm getting spark to all four cylinders. Now it starts and runs. However it is rougher than before. It feels a little week in the low rpms, but past 8K if feels normal. Unless someone can give me some suggestions I think I'm gonna have to take it to the dealership and have them look at it. Unfortunately, they have changed their hours and are closed on sunday and monday. :cursing So any help would be much appreciated. Thanks for all the help guys, Ryan.

·
Has tiny penis.....still acts like a big dick.
321 Posts
I had what sounds like the same problem , and it turned out to be blocked injectors.
I took it to the dealership and they changed plugs and tried a few different things because it would kick over, but not start.
They took the injectors out and had them sonically cleaned, put them back in and she started, but was running rough, they worked out it was only one injector making it run rough, had that one cleaned again ,put it back in and she ran like a dream.

So I'm thinking maybe you got some bad fuel ???

Now that it's running , maybe try and put a fuel system cleaner through it to clean out the injectors, just an idea!!

Good luck:cheers

·
Registered
42 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
The thought of some bad gas has crossed my mind as well. The thing is I'm about half way through the tank and I'd think it would have happened before now, but maybe not. Ya I'll try some fuel system cleaner. I think I'm gonna change the air filter too. I looked at the mileage and I'm actually at 14,800. I knew I was past due for a filter so maybe that could be exacerbating the situation.

Ya the PC III is out. The quick shifter is still in there, but obviously not hooked up to anything.

·
Registered
42 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Changed out the air filter for a BMC Race filter. Problem solved.

·
Registered
42 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Haha, hey if that's what gets your rocks off more power to ya. Careful they may be hot! lol

1 - 13 of 13 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.