Suzuki GSX-R Motorcycle Forums Gixxer.com banner

3241 - 3250 of 3250 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
The only slightly exotic additive that I use regularly as an "engine elixir" is a sip (18 ml) of Carmelite Water (79% alcohol) that has extremely good characteristics as it mixes quickly with the fuel and the essential oils (Lemon Balm - Melissa officinalis) provide a more pleasant smell on the exhaust. :cool:

Of course you can drink it as well, but be careful, it also acts as a tranquilliser. Don't drink and drive!

·
Premium Member
3,842 Posts
I used about half a bottle of Seafoam this weekend. I poured a few ounces in the oil and let the engine idle for a few minutes and dumped the oil and changed the filter.
Then I added a few ounces to the tank and topped it off with 93 octane fuel.

I saw where the original poster mentioned several times that you can't have too much octane. I guess he has never heard of detonation.

just to clarify this whole compression ratio to octane some who can clear this up 100% and maybe add a formula to the thread for finding compression ratios to octane, also temp does play a factor as well right?

my thoughts have always been considering my Busa and my 1.9 Ford 4 banger both have fairly low compression, 11:1... and they both state run 87 or LOWER... which means if I can find 86 it will run it fine?

so higher requires more octane, but is there and where is the point of getting inefficient?

as in if it says run 87 or lower, can I run 80 and it is just as efficient? or do the oxygen sensors sniff it and alter mix and timing accordingly?

I've never really studied to much just went by common known ratios and so forth..

also where do these new variable compression ratios fit into this scenario? are they injecting the octane dynamically or?

simple chart I know its more complex but this is an idea or example;

·
You should listen to me. No, seriously, listen to
8,149 Posts
As crazy as this thread was, it seems to be spinning even further out of control. Is that a joke or are people actually adding things to the gas so that the exhaust smells better? Per this unless you live in Columbia or Bangladesh, you're going to have a hard time finding some 80 octane gas. There is no simple curve of octane number vs compression ratio. It depends on too many other things, spark advance, fuel-air ratio, spark plug heat, compression chamber shape, etc., etc. Go by the manufacturer's recommendations.

Decades ago in the leaded gas era, Ethyl Corporation used to regularly survey gas at the pump and produced a booklet with the results. However the results were considered confidential so each manufacturer was identified by a code number revealed only to the manufacturer and it wasn't available to the public. It really cut through the crap. My father was the plant manager at a refinery and I have a couple of the booklets from him.

·
Registered
54 Posts
Omg that was on this forum???? I’ve been linked to this thread so many times over the years (just like the audi sandblast porting the head lol)

·
That’s Mister Moderator To You ....
7,873 Posts
I'm so confused.

At least with the new site, we can type the word Martin without getting an angry viking.

3241 - 3250 of 3250 Posts