Suzuki GSX-R Motorcycle Forums Gixxer.com banner

1 - 20 of 32 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey guys, I have a 05 gsxr 600.

Having this problem of it not revving up past around 8000 rpm.

NO red light NO codes in dealer mode.

It just falls on its face and bogs down, Sorta like a rev limiter but not quite.

This is what I know so far. Not the kick stand switch, I have that shorted out.
Not the secondary throttle actuators, they are open.
Not a kinked fuel line, i have made 100% sure of this and have checked 5 times.

This is what i have done so far:

Drained gas tank, Cleaned up filter.
Poured seafoam into gas tank before i added barely any gas, Primed injectors, Turned bike over, let it sit a while. Filled it up with 1 gallon of gas, rode it wide open at WOT... (8,000 rpms).. Then filled up tank with 93

Also Just put in new spark plugs yesterday. No change in performance Still falls on its face at 8000 rpm at WOT.

Now if i get it too 8000 rpm and let of throttle and slowly accelerate it will maybe get to 9000 or 10000 but sounds horrible.

Has strong good power under 8000rpm.

ANY HELP is GREATLY appreciated

·
Registered
2,273 Posts
are you sure you're getting enough fuel? you might have cleaned the fuel pump strainer, but there's another fuel filter inside the fuel pump housing which also might get clogged. it's probably a good idea to test the fuel pump flow output and pressure (see manual). if it's not in spec, then sounds like a new fuel pump time.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #5 (Edited)
You sure youre getting spark? My ignition coils went out, and it did the same thing.
Man, I have not done any testing on the spark. I am ASSUMING that its gettin spark just fine due to the fact it has plenty of power before 8000. It will pull the front tire. Am i 100% sure the spark is at 100% ? Cant say i am but it seems like it.

I was leaning to it sounding more of a fuel cut off? It will Rev past 8000 just fine in neutral. I mean after everything ive done it still stops revving at 8000

How would i go about testing fuel pump? Maybe its weak?

OH on another note... The filter in tank was DIRTY!!! I cleaned it all up, got all the trash out of it. Maybe Clogged injector? Whats a more efficient way to clean them other than what i did? lol

EDIT: I dont have a manual, but i will look into it online on testin the fuel pump. Didnt know if there was maybe something else that i could of missed, maybe something easier lol. IT is what it is, ANy more suggestions is appreciated once again

ALSO. I just got this bike not too long ago and have been having this problem a while. IF a power commander was on this bike, and snatched off right before i bought it, Could this maybe cause symptoms like this?

·
Registered
294 Posts
I swear you're describing just what my bike did lol. Was ok in neutral to 14k rpm with a very slight hiccup at 10k. While riding it fell on its face after 8/9k. I'd seriously check the coils man. Even if they have a small spark while testing, higher rpms im guessing they're shot. I'd almost put money on it just based on how you described it.

·
Registered
88 Posts
Maybe check the ground for the fuel pump. I have seen green corrosion from ethanol fuel build up on the ground bolt and wire enough to inhibit grounding and cause fuel starvation issues.

·
Registered
135 Posts
I literally had this same issue with my bike. After troubleshooting the fuel system one piece at a time, it ended up being a clogged fuel filter, which is located in the black housing. The fuel strainer was dirty as hell too. Bike runs like a champ now. I have an 04 1k with 21k miles. You can pick up used fuel pump assemblies on eBay for $100-$150, which is what I did. Good luck

Sent from Motorcycle.com Free App

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Its not a kinked fuel line.

I cleaned pickup screeen

Guess ill be buying a fuel pump assembly, maybe this will fix it.

Im pretty sure the coils are fine. Oh and there are 15,000 miles on bike.

Air filter is not clogged up. I can get it to rev up past 8000 if i slowly increase throttle, but at WOT, it his this "rev limiter at 8-9000 rpm.

Any more suggestions is appreciated, will continue to update on this.

Thanks guys

·
Dreaming of buttsecks for years...
13,536 Posts
Instead of throwing money at your bike, why don't you test some things first? It's free to do the timed fuel delivery test.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Instead of throwing money at your bike, why don't you test some things first? It's free to do the timed fuel delivery test.
I dont have a manual, and i couldnt find any info on testing. I tried testing fuel PSI but my tester didnt hook up to it. Before i buy stuff i will test it, but haven't got that far yet.

·
Registered
201 Posts
OK when you say coil, You refering to the 4 Coil packs? And you say they are cheap? I figured they would be EXPENSIVE>
Yea the 4 coil packs. I have an 01 gsxr 1000 and I managed to find a used one on ebay for $8. But you're right, they might be pricey if you cant find them used and a lot of times people are selling all four as a bundle. But they are still cheaper than a new fuel pump.

·
Registered
25 Posts
Clogged injectors, i've seen this on a friends 02. Remove and clean them since you had a dirt in the tank. It wont cost you money and may be your problem.

1 - 20 of 32 Posts