Suzuki GSX-R Motorcycle Forums Gixxer.com banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
104 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Bike won\'t come on..

I just replaced the battery in my 98 GSXR600, and NONE of the lights come on when I turn the key to the "ON" position, any troubleshooting ideas?

oh, and I checked the "fuxebox" and all the fuses in there are fine... yes, even the "spares" aren't blown! heh.

--
corey

[ 11-29-2002, 03:55 PM: Message edited by: CoreyAtWork ]

·
Bearded Admin call him Grizzly
88,756 Posts
Re: Bike won\'t come on..

did you check the master 35 amp fuse located under the seat, follow the positive battery cable to the main power distributer box and you will see the fuse there

·
Registered
5,804 Posts

1-main fuse? - 30amp (spare in the base of the relay) - its behind the seat cowling,lefthand side
2-battery connected the right way round?
3-is the battery charged? (voltmeter)

obvious stuff i know but a good starting point

[ 11-29-2002, 04:47 PM: Message edited by: GIXXERUK ]

·
Registered
104 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·

Obvious to a motorcycle regular, but not to me, thanks for the info guys, ,i'll check it out after i'm done eatin sushi, too fuckin cold to ride right now anyway.

--
Corey

·
Premium Member
117,182 Posts

I dont mean to be insulting but I work at a motorcycle shop as a mechanic and I see this all the everynow and then... Has your new battery been charged? Unlike car batteries ( which come charged already) you have to charge your battery before installation.

Again not beeing insulting, I just dont know you so I dont know how familiar you are with bikes

·
Registered
4,102 Posts

Also not being insulting (since it happened to me once), but are the battery screws grabbing the threaded magnetic bits?

My positive screw came loose once after I'd had my first bike for about a week. I kept screwing and couldn't figure out why I wasn't making a tight connection. Turns out it's because I had lost one of those bits and there was nothing to grab. (Duh)

Anyway, possibly something to check.

·
Premium Member
10,263 Posts

Also, Just want to make sure, when you get a new batt a lot of them need to have the "water" put in them... Did you fill it up or have the shop do it for you??

John

·
Registered
1,875 Posts

get a volt meter and check to see if any power is getting to the fuse below by the computer or to anything for that matter. Try to push start your bike. just for the hell of it sounds like maybe your ground wire or something. prop your tank and trace your wires

·
Registered
104 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·

Fixed it, it was a combination of both the 30-amp fuse and the battery. The battery wasn't charged, and the fuse was blown, so I bought a battery charger for $15 and put the quick release things on the battery so I don't have to take the seat off anymore, and just charge the battery. Gracias.

--
Corey

·
Registered
4,102 Posts

Originally posted by CoreyAtWork:
...and put the quick release things on the battery so I don't have to take the seat off anymore...
<font size="2" face="Verdana, Arial">

You mean quick-releases for the seat? If so, where'd you get them? How much?

1 - 12 of 12 Posts