Suzuki GSX-R Motorcycle Forums Gixxer.com banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have an '01 GSXR 600 and it won't stay running. The bike turns over and I can hear the fuel pump working but it won't idle right or stay running. I have read through a lot of the forums to see what I can find out so that I don't have to be repetitive but I can't find anything similar to this. I can hear the fuel pump turn on and my tip over sensor is working fine (the bike has the kickstand switch modified too but it gets gas and turns over so I'm assuming that is fine). I have replaced the wire harness and I have put it in dealer mode and have gotten the C00 and so I guess everything is fine there too. I've also replaced the spark plugs and battery. I do have the book and have been checking things with a multi-meter. I do have a new fuel pump relay on order but I'm just at a loss. Any advice would be great and I apologize if this has been on the forum before.

·
Premium Member
17,163 Posts
You say it turns over but won't stay running... do you mean it's firing up and runs for a second and then dies, or it just turning over and you can hear a little but of combustion but it never actually starts?

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
It'll turn over and run for a second or two...I have to work the throttle for it to stay running for those few seconds but then it cuts out.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
The light comes on but isn't blinking...It's almost as if the bike isn't getting enough gas to stay running. I have put it in dealer mode and no codes have come up.

·
Premium Member
17,163 Posts
Hmm... well I wouldn't think it would be anything electronic. Usually if it dies like that and it's an electronic component of some sort that is failing, it will throw the FI light... or if the starter spins for more than 3 seconds and it won't start it will throw an FI light then as well.

That being said, I'd also wouldn't think it would be the throttle position sensor... it should throw a code also.

How do your plugs look? If you've put new plugs in lately, did you get the ignition coils snapped down good?

You said you can keep it running if you give it some throttle. Does it run like shit when you're doing that, or does it run okay just idling high?

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
It has been doing this for a couple of weeks now...I was trying to postpone writing a post until I exhausted all the other options and read as many forums as I could. I've tried almost everything I can think of and have come up with nothing.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
It was fine before and I didn't really change anything...I know the pump was replaced and maybe that could be it but I do hear it come on and it does pump out gas (I disconnected the fuel line from the tank and turned it on and gas pumped out)...I just don't know

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
I didn't do a voltage check...I'll do one tomorrow. You don't know what the voltage should be off hand do you...if not I'll check in the manual. Again, thanks for your help and I'll do the voltage test and let you know how it goes

·
Registered
21 Posts
I had the same symptoms when i replaced my pump after cleaning the filter, took it back off and there is a small o-ring there that was not sat properly, therefore the main pump was not pushed in to the housing hard enough, it has to be pushed in hard with the o-ring in the proper place.

I think it is that,

Baz

1 - 20 of 21 Posts