Suzuki GSX-R Motorcycle Forums Gixxer.com banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

· Registered
2007 GSXR750
61 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Bike has been running great, but... this morning on my way to work, I pull up to a light about 1 km from my house and notice that the gear indicator says 2 instead of 1, which is no big deal. I usually just have to tap on the shifter to correct the issue (when it's actually in 1st). But when I tap on the shifter is stays locked at 2 (maybe irrelevant) but shortly after I notice smoke coming from the left side, near the sprocket cover, then my bike powers off completely. I was in traffic, so I was more concerned about getting off the road safely. In hindsight, I wish I would have paid more attention to the source of the smoke. Anyway, after I pushed the bike back home, I took the tank off and was trying to see burnt wires of something of evidence, but I don't see anything unusual.

What's the best starting point for troubleshooting here? Could the smoke have come from the stator? a fuse? ignition?

I was thinking I should check the battery and stator voltage first. If that looks okay, then replace the fuses one by one to see where this assumed short occurred? Not sure how much smoke is normal for a blown fuse on a bike, but it seemed more significant than that, but it was momentary, like it didn't burst into flames, just over and done with. When I turn the key, the bike won't power on anymore. The dash is blank.

It's a 2007 750. A month ago I relocated the rectifier to the side of the frame to be proactive. The rectifier and stator are all original OEM from what I understand.

Thanks in advance.

· Likes to race old junk.
3,014 Posts
Start with a service manual, it will have troubleshooting guides and step by step procedures for disassembly, repair & reassembly.
Check to see if it has oil in it, try starting it and go from there.
A fuse just goes pop...hardly any smoke.

· Registered
2007 GSXR750
61 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Start with a service manual, it will have troubleshooting guides and step by step procedures for disassembly, repair & reassembly.
Check to see if it has oil in it, try starting it and go from there.
A fuse just goes pop...hardly any smoke.
first thing i did was check the oil, and it's all good. I have a service manual, but thought I would check here as well.

· Registered
1,225 Posts
Left side?

I've got good money on it being your rectifier
Take it off and check the underside, if the epoxy is cracked, it certainly went the way of the dodo

· Registered
2007 GSXR750
61 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Left side?

I've got good money on it being your rectifier
Take it off and check the underside, if the epoxy is cracked, it certainly went the way of the dodo
Thanks. Ya, I took it off and it was raised on one side. Very minor. But then I tested the diode (?), as per manual, and wasn't getting a reading on one of the connections, but all else was in range for voltage. Manual says to replace if any are out of range, so I guess I'm buying a rectifier.

· Registered
1,225 Posts
Thanks. Ya, I took it off and it was raised on one side. Very minor. But then I tested the diode (?), as per manual, and wasn't getting a reading on one of the connections, but all else was in range for voltage. Manual says to replace if any are out of range, so I guess I'm buying a rectifier.
Better check your battery as well, it might have gotten a big hit when the rectifier went out

· Registered
2007 GSXR750
61 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
BTW, a new OEM rectifier here in Canada sells for $450 CAD. Yikes. I bought mine from eBay from a [legit] Florida man for almost half (with shipping and import taxes).

1 - 8 of 8 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.