Suzuki GSX-R Motorcycle Forums Gixxer.com banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Well i ride a k4 600 and the bike has stock gearing and a 3 month old back tire. When in first gear at 7k rpm and i try to clutch it up the bike will just spin the back tire if the road surface is too 'slick' and by slick i mean it likes to do this almost anywhere unless its a coarse road/ parking lot surface. My tire pressure is at 28 psi and it still does it. I think my suspension is too stiff maybe? I really just don't like the spinning thing. Its sketchy. Help!!

·
Hand-Eye Coordinator
6,509 Posts
are you sure the tire is spinning? are there marks/smoke/etc?

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Yes i know its spinning cuz it'll kick out a bit sometimes. It doesnt spin enough to smoke, but sometimes i can see a mark.

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
how would it be the clutch? All i do is pop the clutch and if the road surface isn't grippy enough, the bike does a rolling burnout basically.

·
Administrator
13,276 Posts
Iv never seen a 600 do that ... They don't have enough go !!!!

As already said , you will find it's the clutch ... Or the back tyre is alot worse then your making out !!!

·
Mesonychoteuthis hamitoni
1,981 Posts
You're not supposed to dump the clutch anyways... quickly release, but not rev the piss out of it and dump. I'll put a bet on a roasted rear tire....

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Im not dumping it, its a quick release and im not revving it that high. All I want to know is if the rear shock can have something to do with it being too stiff and it has less traction.

·
Registered
32 Posts
I'm having the same issue as you sometimes.. I don't think it's the clutch. My bike rev's fine throughout the rpm range without any slipping. How else can you tell if the clutch is bad?

·
Registered
294 Posts
I bet your popping it and not slipping it. You should not be pulling the clutch all the way in. I'm set on operator error.

·
Registered
32 Posts
I bet your popping it and not slipping it. You should not be pulling the clutch all the way in. I'm set on operator error.
I know I'm going to get flamed for this, but what is the main difference between slipping and popping? What I do is roll on the throttle, pull in the clutch until I feel the friction zone (which feels like I'm pulling it about 3/4 the way in) and then I give the throttle a little snap and let the clutch go. Sometimes I'll even get off the throttle completely when I pull the clutch in and then grab a handful as I'm letting the clutch go. Maybe I'm doing something wrong here?

·
Registered
294 Posts
Popping is FULLY disengaging the clutch and releasing it abruptly. Slipping it is when you partially disengage it. Like when you're getting out of first, you SLIP the clutch.

Lots of people complain about spinning the tire when they're learning to wheelie, and it's usually because they're clutching it wrong.

I always put my last two fingers on the clutch bar and slip it with just two fingers (the clutch lever shouldn't even hit your other fingers). It doesn't take much. Keep practicing, you'll find the "wheelie button".

·
Registered
32 Posts
Popping is FULLY disengaging the clutch and releasing it abruptly. Slipping it is when you partially disengage it. Like when you're getting out of first, you SLIP the clutch.

Lots of people complain about spinning the tire when they're learning to wheelie, and it's usually because they're clutching it wrong.

I always put my last two fingers on the clutch bar and slip it with just two fingers (the clutch lever shouldn't even hit your other fingers). It doesn't take much. Keep practicing, you'll find the "wheelie button".
Ok, I see what you're saying now. I'm probably doing more of a pop than a slip. Also, in second gear what do you roll on the throttle and really get the rpm's up once you slip it and keep the throttle on heavy?

·
Banned
14 Posts
I ride a k7 600 and she lifts the wheel up without any hassles. No matter what the conditions. I have found any where from 8k-10k with a little clutch slip and a small pull on the clip ons will lift the front wheel like your taking off. Just don't get to vigourous with pulling on the bars.

Just my 2c

·
Registered
294 Posts
Ok, I see what you're saying now. I'm probably doing more of a pop than a slip. Also, in second gear what do you roll on the throttle and really get the rpm's up once you slip it and keep the throttle on heavy?
Second gear is the exact same principle as fist, just a higher rpm!:fact

·
Registered
32 Posts
I ride a k7 600 and she lifts the wheel up without any hassles. No matter what the conditions. I have found any where from 8k-10k with a little clutch slip and a small pull on the clip ons will lift the front wheel like your taking off. Just don't get to vigourous with pulling on the bars.

Just my 2c

Alright I'll give it a try around 8k-10k. Might be a little hairy though lol.. I'm usually going around 50-60 mph at those rpm's in second. I think I might not be staying on the throttle like I should after I let out the clutch too.. I'll give it another go tonight after work. Thanks for all the input everybody :p

·
Registered
32 Posts
So I got a pretty productive practice session in last night. I started off doing first gear sitdowns to work on my clutch technique. I found that if I rolled on the throttle, slipped in the clutch with only my index finger and kept on the throttle after the slipping the clutch it came up nice and smooth (not very high, but smooth lol). I think I must have been popping the clutch rather than slipping it, I think when I use my index finger it restricts me from disengaging the clutch too much. After about 30 mins I switched to 2nd gear standups. The first couple tries were unsuccessful, after applying the clutch technique I had used on the first gear sitdowns it started to pick up for me, finally! I only got one decently up (only about 1 1/2-2 feet) but I had to put it down fast because I was running out of road. But boy did it feel smooth! Making progress.. :)

·
Registered
294 Posts
Nice! Just be carefull and be sure you're in a safe environment. If your rolling on throttle hard after you slip it, and it isn't coming up that much, try adjusting your rpms. Bring it up about 500 rpms and try it again. Gotta get the revs correct also. Seems like you're making progress. You'll get it down.

1 - 20 of 21 Posts
About this Discussion
20 Replies
9 Participants
Graveyard
Suzuki GSX-R Motorcycle Forums Gixxer.com
A forum community dedicated to the Suzuki GSX-R motorcycle. Discuss the GSX-R600, GSX-R750, GSX-R1000, and GSX-R1100, and more!
Full Forum Listing