Suzuki GSX-R Motorcycle Forums Gixxer.com banner

1 - 20 of 33 Posts

·
Registered
2,571 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So yesterday I'm out riding and all of a sudden my bike loses all power. I look down at the gauges and the tach is at 0 and the gear indicator is a -. Then all of a sudden it comes back on. WTF! Allright thats weird, but whatever. A little while later my fuel light comes on. I just so happened to have forgotten my wallet so I start heading home. Then it cuts out again. and again. and again. Over and over all the way home.

I get home and the first thing I do is a search in this forum. Possible causes: kickstand switch, loose connections, kill switch, tip-over sensor. Go out to the garage, pull the seats, lift the tank. Put it in dealer mode, no codes. Check battery and fuel injector connections. All good. Check kickstand switch, seems to working properly. Everything seems fine.

So i hop on and ride to the gas station and fill up. Go out and ride for an hour or so, put on at least 50 or 60 miles. No problems at all. Never does it again.

Today, go fill up again and go riding for a couple hours with no problems. Then it starts doing it again. Just shuts off while riding, then turns back on. The fuel light wasnt on yet but I go fill up anyway. Takes 2.8 gallons, so I had about 1.5 gallons left. This time it keeps doing it. All the way back home. Only this time the FI light comes on. Get back home and leave the bike on so I can pull the code. By the time I get the garage open and the seat off the light goes off. Pull the codes and get nothing.

Anybody have any ideas? Bad PC3 maybe? Kill switch? Tip-over sensor? would these cause intermitten problems like this?

·
Registered
4,747 Posts
You ever get the bike wet... washing, heavy rain etc?

·
Registered
806 Posts
You ever check the voltage output? You should always have 13.8,9, even about 14V while idle. Could be your stator!

·
Registered
1,060 Posts
:wtf Bad power comander, maybe. Or, I would of thought kickstand too. Or maybe the fuel pump is bad for some reason. Where do you go to pump gas, I always like to use gas stations with three seperate hoses, so I don't get any 89 octain in my shit. When do you take your bike to Action, I forgot? Tell them fools about it, maybe they can fix it.:lol

·
Registered
43 Posts
Starter or foul plugs. Or maybe even foul injectors (test the voltage there). I would start with the electronics first (test the battery) then move on to the mechanical stuff.

·
Ditchard the High Maintenance Squirrel
60,366 Posts
If it happens when downshifting, i would say that you are tripping the kickstand switch because your shift lever is out of adjustment (it happened to me before) but the bike coming back on automatically rules that out.

I wish i could help but i am kinda :scratch myself.

I agree that it is something electronic...that is not my strong point.

·
Registered
2,571 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
almano said:
What kind of aftermarket electronics, gadgets you have on the bike if you have any?
PC3, Ignition Module, LED parking lights, LED turn signals, LED tag lights

·
Registered
2,571 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Elite Detail OC said:
You ever get the bike wet... washing, heavy rain etc?
Yep, both, washing and rain

·
Registered
2,571 Posts
Discussion Starter #12

·
Registered
2,571 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
JRDNGIXX said:
You ever check the voltage output? You should always have 13.8,9, even about 14V while idle. Could be your stator!
no. Would I check that directly at the battery?

·
Registered
2,571 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
2006GSXR600 said:
:wtf Bad power comander, maybe. Or, I would of thought kickstand too. Or maybe the fuel pump is bad for some reason. Where do you go to pump gas, I always like to use gas stations with three seperate hoses, so I don't get any 89 octain in my shit. When do you take your bike to Action, I forgot? Tell them fools about it, maybe they can fix it.:lol
I am thinking PC also. Could be a number of things tho. It goes to Action today. So hopefully they can fix it.

·
Registered
14 Posts
The same problem i have too.when i 'm riding and reach to 6.500 rpm - 8.500 rpm the power shuts down and opens suddenly.I'm from Greece and i'm the first one with this problem and the mechanic don't know what is it.Please anyone if knows something about this problem to write me or email me.I purchased the K7 1000 from Germany Suzuki.
[email protected]

·
Registered
2,571 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
TOEJAM said:
If it happens when downshifting, i would say that you are tripping the kickstand switch because your shift lever is out of adjustment (it happened to me before) but the bike coming back on automatically rules that out.

I wish i could help but i am kinda :scratch myself.

I agree that it is something electronic...that is not my strong point.
Nope it just happens randomly.

·
Registered
2,571 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Well it just took it out a little while ago and it was fine! Before I left i fiddled around with the kickstand switch a bit tho. Pushed it up and down. it seemed like there was a lot of dirt on the little rod that slides in and out. Also there seemed to be some grit or something inside the switch because I could hear and feel it grating around inside there. I noticed to that the kickstand bounces around a lot in the up position. Like it isnt being held tightly againist the switch. Hopefully that is what the problem is.

·
Registered
14 Posts
GSX-R_JJ i want to ask you if you bought your bike new and when you first saw your problem.because i think i have the same problem and i 'm trying to find what to do.
Thanks

·
Registered
838 Posts
I would check in this order:
+Battery Voltage
-Good? Continue. Bad? Check connections then alternator.
+Check kick-stand connections
+Check kill switch connections
+Check for any places of obvious corrosion

If none of the above works then take warranty.

·
Registered
347 Posts
There is nothing to do with after market stuff.. My bike did same thing when its all stock..It almost kill me when i was on highway..It was shutting down out of nowhere..Brought it to dealer and they couldnt find anything..anyways SOLD it already GOOD LUCK

1 - 20 of 33 Posts
About this Discussion
32 Replies
14 Participants
Jackal K7
Suzuki GSX-R Motorcycle Forums Gixxer.com
A forum community dedicated to the Suzuki GSX-R motorcycle. Discuss the GSX-R600, GSX-R750, GSX-R1000, and GSX-R1100, and more!
Full Forum Listing