Suzuki GSX-R Motorcycle Forums Gixxer.com banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
53 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
This has happened to me on 2 occasions since I have had my Bike Oct 2007. The other day I rode my bike to dinner. It was kinda cold out. Got there fine with no problems. Ate dinner with some friends then got back on my bike to leave. I started the bike up. Let it warm up a bit. Backed out of the parking spot. And tried to take off. I kicked it into first gear and the bike instantly shut off. I put it back into neutral and started it up. I tried to put it into first gear another 5 or 6 times and every time it would shut the bike off. After giving up, I got off the bike and let it sit for about 5 minutes. Went back to the bike and started it up with no problem. Put it into first gear and rode off like nothing happened.

Has anyone else experienced this before? And if so, should I be worrying about it?

·
I killed Biggie and Tupac
6,053 Posts
Either u had ur kickstand down on the first attempt(which would b full of :lmao) or ur kickstand switch or kickstand is loose. I would check the stand and switch first thing :thumbup

·
Blithering Idiot
2,306 Posts
Put the kickstand up and pull in the clutch :lol That's all I got for ya...

·
Registered
3,168 Posts
Either u had ur kickstand down on the first attempt(which would b full of :lmao) or ur kickstand switch or kickstand is loose. I would check the stand and switch first thing :thumbup

Yep.

Nothing else would shut the motor off like that unless your kickstand is down, or the switch is bad. :cursing

·
Ditchard the High Maintenance Squirrel
60,366 Posts
Check your shift rod.

If your shift rod has backed out, it has moved your foot peg low enough so that when you put the bike in first gear, it trips the kickstand.

·
Premium Member
1,411 Posts
when my kickstand hinge gets dirty and the lube is dried up, when I kick up the stand, sometimes it looks like it's all the way up, but it's just short and the safety switch will think it's still down.

Just clean it up, lube it with something of quality and you should be good.

·
Registered
53 Posts
Kickstand switch my friend. You can see the plunger right underneath where your stand runs near the bike. Inspect it for damage, or it being loose.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Clutch drag causing it to stall when cold?
Mine occasionally does it, a few pumps of the clutch before kicking in to gear usually does the trick....

·
Registered
3 Posts
I just got a 07 GSXR750 and i got the same problem i have to rev to 8000rpms to take off and shiffting down or getting to stop is turning off too.....

·
Unstable SuperMod
21,904 Posts
I just got a 07 GSXR750 and i got the same problem i have to rev to 8000rpms to take off and shiffting down or getting to stop is turning off too.....

Actually, not really the same problem, his issue, way back when, was even with the clutch in, he wasn't trying to move yet, as soon as he put it in gear the engine went dead.

But good luck, sounds like fuel system cleaning and set up for you.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Actually, not really the same problem, his issue, way back when, was even with the clutch in, he wasn't trying to move yet, as soon as he put it in gear the engine went dead.

But good luck, sounds like fuel system cleaning and set up for you.

Yea as soon i kick first gear it turn off and some time shifting down if i let go off the gas

·
You should listen to me. No, seriously, listen to
7,666 Posts
With the engine off, put the bike in gear, kickstand up, clutch in, and try to start it. If it won't crank, the kickstand switch probably isn't working properly.

1 - 19 of 19 Posts