Suzuki GSX-R Motorcycle Forums Gixxer.com banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
411 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
At first it was only happening in 4th gear about half the time I shifted into 4th, but then it started happening in 2nd and 3rd once in a while. Then sometimes it shifts fine. I have 12,000 miles on my 03' GSXR600 and I was thinking it was the chain that might be getting "tight and slack" spots in it that is putting too much pressure on the "shifting". That happened on my 01' Katana. When I shift and it acts up, it's like I get halfway through the shifting and it is just a bitch to get it all the way in, like that last little click into the next gear. Or does anyone have any other ideas on what the hell is going on, starting to get really annoying. Thanks for any help with this topic.

Bishop

·
Registered
411 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I just changed the oil b/c it started doing it before I changed my oil. I had Suzuki Oil in there before and now I have Mobil 1 Fully Synthetic Motorcycle Oil. It did it before and after, so I don't think it's a Oil problem, thanks so much for the input though, can help narrow down the problem....

·
Registered
915 Posts
check the clutch pack, make sure that none of them are sticking in any way, also, make sure that the rearset that the gear selector is attached to is bolted and torqued down good cuz that makes a bit of a difference as well

·
Registered
411 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Don't want to sound like a dipshit b/c I do know quite a bit about working on things, cars more but am pretty good with the bike too, what exactly do you mean by the clutch pack, I will check the gear selector attachment too tonight. Any more ideas or any info on the clutch pack I will check into. Thanks a million!

·
Registered
915 Posts
baically, on the right hand side(from rear of bike) engine casing, right below that is what i call the clutch pack, basically the clutch basket with all of the clutch fibers and steels in it, along with your clutch springs. I have heard, though im not sure if this is your problem, that if the clutches get dry for any reason, they can cause things ilke this, all you have to do is pull them out, soak 'em in oil for a few hours, throw them back in, and see if that doesnt cure the problem

·
Registered
411 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Thanks SomeFknGuy, I'm going to investigate tonight some and see what I find. That could possibly explain why sometimes it works and sometimes it doesn't. Someone was saying possibly a bent shift fork, but you think that would happen all the time then right. THanks for the advice, any more, spit it on out....

1 - 7 of 7 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.