Suzuki GSX-R Motorcycle Forums Gixxer.com banner

1 - 20 of 27 Posts

·
That’s Mister Chalet To You ....
7,744 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Alright I'll just blurt it out. I sold the K6. Not only had I not ridden it, I'm having seller's remorse over the CTS-V so I'm putting together a new toy fund.

Those who know me know I do my own general maintenance but I'm in no way a qualified mechanic. Everything from the shocks to the ohlins, exhaust, rotors, rims (and even the bodywork) was touched by my hands but once I had it more or less restored, I took the entire thing to my dealer and told them to go over the bike A-Z and make sure it's perfect, lest a wheel fly-off while riding.

Meanwhile, I get an inquiry from a guy who wants the bike but I told him my dealer has to go over it A-Z and he hasn't gotten around to it yet. He called my dealer who confirmed that the bike is indeed mint so he told me he'd take it as-is. So I rented a van picked up the bike and met the guy half-way in Toronto. We shook hands and everyone drove away happy.

Until last night. The buyer's mechanic told him that my bike is sketchy as fuck because on top of the entire thing having been torn down and built back up by an amateur, there's an actual serious (enough) issue.

Remember when I noticed there was the beginnings of rust in the tank and I wasted two weekends on electrolysis AND vinegar treatments? That was a disaster so I found a new tank and also (to be safe about possible contamination) bought a fuel pump from someone well-known on this forum, who assured me the pump was low mile and perfect. It's not. So not only does the poor bastard's beautiful new bike not even start, this was a serious enough detail for the mechanic to smell fish.

A new fuel pump is $950!?!?! I believe I kept the original pump's innards. Since I never actually started the bike, it can't have ingested any contaminants so I hope I can dig it up and shoot it over to the guy. Alternatively, if a pump doesn't work, does anyone service them or just toss 'em and buy a new one?

I got called a few choice names last night but I can't blame the guy. If my mechanic didn't know this bike's history and noticed all the above, I'm sure I'd have gotten a phone call to make me shit my pants too.

Attachments

·
17,011 Posts
Meanwhile, I get an inquiry from a guy who wants the bike but I told him my dealer has to go over it A-Z and he hasn't gotten around to it yet. He called my dealer who confirmed that the bike is indeed mint so he told me he'd take it as-is. So I rented a van picked up the bike and met the guy half-way in Toronto. We shook hands and everyone drove away happy.

I understand you might feel a bit guilty or bad, but if you tell a buyer the bike is "as-is" that pretty much seals the deal.
It's not like you tried to hide anything or lied..

·
7,744 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I disagree a little. In hindsight, I should have disclosed that I stuck on a new tank but I honestly forgot all about the whole tank adventure. If you knew 'who' sold me that pump and his credibility* out here, you'd understand why I didn't give it a second thought.

On the other hand, I just wish we had waited until my mechanic went over the bike.

*I won't call him out.... but it is weird that a pump described as low mile and perfect is actually non functional and by the mechanic's estimate, taken off a 40K mile bike.

·
17,011 Posts
*I won't call him out.... but it is weird that a pump described as low mile and perfect is actually non functional and by the mechanic's estimate, taken off a 40K mile bike.
That'd be my biggest complaint.
It's fucked up he/she lied about the pump...:thumbdown

·
Super Moderator
14,990 Posts
That's on him for not waiting until you let the dealer do their full inspection. It's beyond me why any used bike buyer would turn down such an opportunity especially when said inspection would take no money or time on their own part. Like Spike said, you sold the bike "as-is."

Out of curiosity, did he know you took the bike apart to remove and resell the performance goodies? Honestly if we here didn't know you and that bike's history that would sound suspect as fuck because well....nobody does that!

Just imagine going to buy a bike and the seller tells you that he stripped the bike down completely to remove all of it's high end "go-fast" parts and restore it back to stock. Most informed buyers would probably assume that the only reason you tore down and rebuilt the bike was due to a crash or some other unfortunate incident even though us here on the forum know that's not the case.

This is a tough one. The bike is no longer your responsibility yet you still might lose a few nights sleep over this trying to figure out how to make it right. :serious:

·
7,744 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Yep, I did tell him I was bringing it back to stock. I didn't specify HOW MANY go-fast bits were involved - he didn't ask.

Now that you (both) mention it, this isn't my problem.

• I told him the bike was in for A-Z inspection to be 100%. Had he waited, he'd have the bike 100%
  • He asked how much if he took the bike as-is
  • Then he actually called called MY DEALER without telling me, I guess to grill them about my bike, which was not cool.
  • I said I'd knock $500 off - seemed about the right number for a big inspection and fixing whatever stupid mistakes I made
  • He accepted

Now that something has turned-up after the fact, I'm supposed to ignore the agreed-on terms and pay-up? IE give him a discount but still pay for everything?

Two further mitigating factors:

1. Instead of picking up the phone and telling me what happened, this is what I read in my inbox "Either you knew and didn’t say anything or you’re just a bastard piece of shit that I hope gets cancer and dies painfully!!!!!"
  2. And even worse, he bought it because he wants to stretch it, put a 300+ rear on it and turn it into one of those s Florida showbikes :dissapointed

So yeah Matt (who I sent links to this and all other relevant threads about his new bike), I'll see if I can find the original pump but beyond that, given how nicely you've conducted yourself toward me, including your one-word replies to my emails even today, I don't see why I'd go out of my way at all for you.

Enjoy your showbike :cheers

Yours sincerely, the bastard piece of shit.

·
7,744 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
update: I did find the original pump so with that, his mechanic should get him sorted-out.

The reason I wanted a new one was because even though the pump never spun and sucked non perfect gas into the motor, the little strainer at the bottom that sits in the sump scared me. I guess change that, slap it back together and he'll be good to go.

Attachments

·
17,011 Posts
update: I did find the original pump so with that, his mechanic should get him sorted-out.

The reason I wanted a new one was because even though the pump never spun and sucked non perfect gas into the motor, the little strainer at the bottom that sits in the sump scared me. I guess change that, slap it back together and he'll be good to go.
Sweet.
Hope that solves the problem.:cheers

·
7,744 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
It's no secret that I'm a little 'special' but I'd still be leery of putting that in the perfect tank. I might not pay $950 but I'd definitely source a pump or fix the one on-hand.

I must be paranoid...... which is why I threw that in the closet and sourced a replacement.

It's the new guy's call.

·
Administrator
13,380 Posts
Youve gone above and beyond Andre ... I wouldn’t have handled being talked to like that as well as you.

I’m pretty sure I know who you bought the pump off , and I’m surprised

·
Hand-Eye Coordinator
6,529 Posts
That guy is full of shit. IF you followed to manual, used the right tools, and put the right colour thread sealant where the manual told you to, there is no way to see if a bike was "torn down and built back up by an amateur."

If you unbolted a shock, rearsets, levers and other common items that people replace with aftermarket, there is nothing to fuck up. If you put OEM fairings on, they will fucking fit.

FWIW, when i sold my 750, i ripped thousands of dollars of parts i put on it back off and put the OEM back on. Why the fuck would I sell a bike for 6000 with 4000 in extra parts if i could take off that 4k in parts and not affect the value? I had a full titanium akra on there that I sure as hell wasn't gonna give away to some asshole I don't know...

·
Super Moderator
14,990 Posts
he bought it because he wants to stretch it, put a 300+ rear on it and turn it into one of those s Florida showbikes :dissapointed
:crying You could have at least vetted the guy bit and made sure the bike went to a good home. :crying

·
Premium Member
663 Posts
It sounds like you tried your best. The buyer should have let the dealer do the inspection. Nothing you do will make him happy, so just send him that fuel pump you found and call it a day. I know how it feels to try to do the right thing and someone still gets mad at you, there is nothing you can do. You will feel bad for a while but it’ll pass.

·
7,744 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Youve gone above and beyond Andre ... I wouldn’t have handled being talked to like that as well as you.

I’m pretty sure I know who you bought the pump off , and I’m surprised
I feel like keeping his name secret is acknowledging guilty intentions. It may very well be a question of grabbing the wrong one from the shelf. I honestly can't see him intentionally shipping me something under false pretenses. Think about it. He had no way of knowing the pump would not be tried this long.... and he made his exit from the forum just in time to avoid this coming to light.

Nah, that's retarded

.....there is no way to see if a bike was "torn down and built back up by an amateur.".....

In this case, there is. I knew it was going through the shop to be verified and since I have no torque wrench, I told him to tell his mechanic to assume everything was just finger-tight. Especially the steering head, since I pulled off that big steering damper.

Regardless, nothing was a surprise, except for a faulty fuel pump.

...you will feel bad for a while but it’ll pass.

It took <24 hours. It has passed. I would never use that kind of language. What an asshole. Seemed like a very nice guy in person.

Worst of all:

:crying You could have at least vetted the guy bit and made sure the bike went to a good home. :crying
Yeah... I'm a terrible human being :suicide

·
7,744 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
I just received another pouty email from the idiot, asking of all things.... if I prepared a packing slip... for a box with one part in it?

What a fitting end to this story.

Attachments

·
Dreaming of buttsecks for years...
13,421 Posts
It's good that you feel a little bad. You had good intentions and no malice. Just the nature of used vehicles. I agree all the fault is on him for not taking the opportunity for inspection. He rushed into it and got burned. That's all on him.

·
Hand-Eye Coordinator
6,529 Posts
In this case, there is. I knew it was going through the shop to be verified and since I have no torque wrench, I told him to tell his mechanic to assume everything was just finger-tight. Especially the steering head, since I pulled off that big steering damper.
Dude...

Duuuuude...

·
NYYYYYAHHHHHHHHHHHHH!
2,058 Posts
fuck he sounds like a whingey little bitch.

when i bought my 07 1000RR the fuel pump died within about 2 hours of me purchasing it.
my thoughts "meh used bike, sucks but shit happens" no malice towards the previous owner.

if he didn't want your mechanic to go over it, that's his problem. unless you said the bike ran, in which case, yeah id be pissed if i were him.

as far as the cost of replacing these things goes, that's actually the reason i was going to make reproduction/replacement units with replaceable filters, they are sooooooooooo overpriced its bonkers.
plus the design is shit, who puts a regulator BEFORE a filter... jesus christ... great way to destroy a reg and/or run out of fuel flow at the injector end.

as for the attitude i would have turkey slapped the shit outa him for that. wham bam thankyou ma'm.

·
7,744 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
....if he didn't want your mechanic to go over it, that's his problem. unless you said the bike ran, in which case, yeah id be pissed if i were him.
The only relevant detail is HE called my dealer and made the decision to ask me for a discount for the bike as-is.

Had we waited, I'd have delivered the bike dealer-inspected, completed and running perfectly.

1 - 20 of 27 Posts