Suzuki GSX-R Motorcycle Forums Gixxer.com banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
2017 GSX-R 1000; 2017 GSX-R 750; 2016 DL 1000 V-Strom
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Good day, I have a 2017 GSXR 1000a with a Yoshi slip-on and K&N air filter. Bike is great but has always been a little snatchy on the throttle. Yesterday I decided it was time to get it tuned.
To my surprise she only made 131hp and over 6000rpm she was off the chart rich. An identical bike on this dyno pulled 168hp so for sure mine is rather flat. Tuner did not even try to remap it as he felt this was not a mapping issue. Any ideas? BTW, she has done 23800km, had all the services done.

Regards,
Wayne

·
You should listen to me. No, seriously, listen to
8,538 Posts
I'm not familiar with the details of the L7 but if it was an earlier generation I'd be thinking about the MAP sensor and the hose to it. If the hose is unconnected the bike will add fuel to correspond to atmospheric pressure in the manifold. However it should be correct at WOT so it sounds like more is going on.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Hey Bill thanks for the reply... when they hooked her up to the dyno they blocked off the pair valve hose so it would not affect the readings? I'm picking the MAP sensor you are referring to is the same?

·
8,538 Posts
^Nope. There ought to be a sensor that measures the intake manifold pressure and sends that to the ECM. There ought to be a hose from the throttle body to the sensor. At least it's that way on my K6. The sensor is mounted on the airbox and a PITA when you want to remove the airbox. This makes it easy to forget to reconnect the hose when reinstalling the airbox. There's a thread here where I redesigned the mount to avoid all that. Hopefully they've fixed that by L7. But a disconnected hose remains a possibility.

P.S. The sensor is referred to as the intake air pressure sensor. The hose to it may connect to a group of hoses that it turn connect to the throttle body. A disconnected hose or broken hose fitting anywhere there will mess things up.

P.P.S. I briefly looked at the L7 service manual and it looks like the IAP sensor is mounted nearly identically to my design, which was based on the K7/K8 design. It's mounted on the left rear of the airbox.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Oh ok, yes, that's all correct... have a look at the dyno chart... The power curve shows a comparison with an identical GSXR all be it on different days.

dynorunShare_1.png
dynorunShare_0.png
dynorunShare_1.png

·
8,538 Posts
I see multiple references to flashing, so many it's hard to follow. I'd try to swap in an unmolested ECM to see if things change.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Hey mate thanks for the reply, I have two ECU's one STD and one that I have flashed. Running the STD fuel maps on the flashed one produces identical results. Currently the bike is at the dealer I purchased her from and the have gone through from top to bottom. Still unable to find a problem other than compression a little low on all 4 cylinders. While that would rob some power, it would think not "that" much and I don't believe it would mess with the fueling so much either? Suzuki NZ are now involved and they are sending an entire exhaust system for us to try as they feel perhaps the catalytic converts are blocked.
Will let you know what the outcome of another exhaust is...

Regards

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Hey Bill, just a follow up as promised. Suzuki installed a new exhaust for me (with my existing Yoshi slip-on). This has resolved the problem as she is back to full power. Well, about 5hp down on what she should be but that's possibly due to AFR/dyno and the fact she has done 24000 km.

About 5000km ago I did a 10-day drip around the South Island (New Zealand) with my wife on the back and heaps of luggage. Somewhere along the line I know I put in some bad fuel as I had to replace the fuel filters on my return. I would think that had something to do with the CAT failing... I also don't think it was helped by me riding like a nanna ... :)

Appreciate all the advice none the less...
Take care

·
Premium Member
321 Posts
Hey Bill, just a follow up as promised. Suzuki installed a new exhaust for me (with my existing Yoshi slip-on). This has resolved the problem as she is back to full power. Well, about 5hp down on what she should be but that's possibly due to AFR/dyno and the fact she has done 24000 km.

About 5000km ago I did a 10-day drip around the South Island (New Zealand) with my wife on the back and heaps of luggage. Somewhere along the line I know I put in some bad fuel as I had to replace the fuel filters on my return. I would think that had something to do with the CAT failing... I also don't think it was helped by me riding like a nanna ... :)

Appreciate all the advice none the less...
Take care
Suzuki Service (y)

1 - 9 of 9 Posts