Suzuki GSX-R Motorcycle Forums Gixxer.com banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
When I am coming to a stop, with the clutch engaged in 1st gear & I'm using some engine braking... the last 20 mph or so while slowing to 0 mph... my bike is pulsing a little.

This is my first bike ('08 600) "With a Slipper Clutch" (not my first bike, this is my 5th street bike)... is this normal for a GSXR slipper clutch?

I have no reason to belive it is coming from my brakes; once I disengage the clutch, it stops pulsing... I feel that it is drivetrain, clutch most likely.

Currently, my bike is tucked away for the WI winter, as it's snowing out & I don't really plan on wrenching on the bike over the winter... just trying to get some feedback or suggestions.

I believe that it has done it since new, I use Maxum 4 Synthetic Blend 10w40 oil (a Synthetic/Petroilium 50%/50% blend oil).

Also, I did have a Suzuki dealer inspect the bike right before warranty ran out, he said "the clutch was fine, didn't really notice anything".... but I feel it every time I do this. But also, he told me that he torqued my steering stem bearings... while he pointed at the visible nut on "top" of the triple clamp... versus the 2 "under" the top triple clamp... so I don't really trust this mechanic.

Thanks.

·
Premium Member
5,448 Posts
That's not the slipper clutch. It's the engine trying to stay running with the throttle closed at lower RPM's.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
hmmm... well ok. I suppose at that moment I do have the throttle closed. I do blip my throttle on downshifts, but by 20mph'ish... I could have the throttle closed... & then right before coming to a stop, of course I pull the clutch in.

Is that normal for my bike? This is my first sport bike since my '96 GSXR750 & '96 ZX7. So I guess this is my first Fuel Injected bike as well.

I have never felt this on any of my previous "non FI" & "non Slipper Clutch" sport bikes.

Thanks again.

·
Premium Member
5,448 Posts
It takes a lot of torque to disengage the slipper. Trust me you aren't disengaging it downshifting into first at 20mph. These engines have fairly aggressive camshafts which is why they don't idle at 900 RPM. Unless the TB's aren't synched properly what you are feeling would be normal.

·
Registered
85 Posts
My bike started to do the same thing after I installed PCV and Akra slip/cathack. Getting it looked into by a local shop in the spring.

·
Premium Member
117,182 Posts
You are on the brakes, clutch out? Yeah, the bike is trying to stall probably. That slow if you are on the brakes you probably should have the clutch in.

That is not something I really "think" to do, so I cant say for sure, but that is what it sounds like to me.

·
Registered
933 Posts
this happens to me as well when im in the teens in first.. engine braking. but i hardly do it. so i kinda brushed it off. i have been on other bikes that do the same thing.

·
Registered
85 Posts
i had the same problem, but I unhooked the valve in the exhaust an wire tied it open and the pulsing was all gone
Thats strange. I removed my set valve completely (cut it off) and mine still does it.

·
Registered
85 Posts
hmmm thats weird, its so hard to say what the real reason it is doing it without riding the bike, everyone rides different and every bike isn't really the same they all feel different, but a few of my friends have removed it and fixed the pulsing

·
Registered
85 Posts
hmmm thats weird, its so hard to say what the real reason it is doing it without riding the bike, everyone rides different and every bike isn't really the same they all feel different, but a few of my friends have removed it and fixed the pulsing
I've tried everything. It's hitting the shop first thing in the spring.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts