Suzuki GSX-R Motorcycle Forums Gixxer.com banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
First post, so this will be a introduction/question.

I am at a point where I think my suspension may need improvement. I ride a bone stock 2004 SV650S. I weigh about 180lbs butt nekkid, not sure how much in full gear. I constantly notice that my bike does not feel settled during corners, and sometimes on rough roads.

My riding consists of twisties, I don't commute on it, and rarely ride it around town. I care nothing for blasting down the interstate at insane speeds, or stunting.

(I will be honest and say that deep down i want a 600 Race Replica, particularly the '06 GSXR 600, or a Daytona 675) I am torn on what to do. Based on what I read on www.SVrider.com I have come to the conclusion that I can...

1)upgrade my bike to a 600 SS, I would only do this if its suspension were already good (I know it may need springs for my weight, but other than than).
2)upgrade my suspension (fork springs and gold valve emulator, and a rear shock from a GSXR)
3)upgrade to gsxr front end(requires lots of money/effort), or traxxion cartridge and a penske/ohlins rear

1) Not sure if I want to do this, since i have been riding 1 year on the SV. And I'm sure I'm definitely not as fast as I could be on it, but I can ride it at a moderate pace and be comfortable.
2) Looks like the budget suspension parts will cost roughly 215 for the fork plus the rear shock which would be around 60 (requires some work like removing fork, and battery box modification)
3) I am definitely against going full-tilt, that (to me) would not be worth the expense/effort.

So my questions for you guys is:

What should I do and why?

How is the suspension on the '06 GSXR 600? I know it won't be penske/ohlins, but it it significantly better than the SV if setup with the right spring rates?

Thanks for the help guys.

·
Registered
6,037 Posts
how much do you like your bike? upgrading to an 06 600 is gonna cost you around net $5k. throwing $1k at upgrading your stock setup and getting the right spring rates would certainly be the cheaper option. if you're not too thrilled with your bike as it is or just want to make the jump to an RR then it would be wasted money. keep in mind you're gonna want to upgrade your new bone stock 600 at some point as well.

·
Registered
403 Posts
Good advice, easter bunny! You wouldn't believe how many people are looking for a bike like yours right now to do track days and weekend twisties. You have a very capable bike, you just need better legs. Even if you go out an buy a used front end from a gsxr and put in a good shock (ohlins, penske, teka) the amount of money spent won't be near as much as a 600. You could buy the used front end for your bike, get it revalved and re-sprung, get a rear shock, be happy and your bank account would be even happier. Even if you got the new 600, the suspension is not perfect. It's more adjustable and better than the stock sv suspension but not perfect. You might even have to do some work to that also. Hope that helps some.

·
Mightiest Sorcerer of the Lands a.k.a. Rhinocerous
22,048 Posts
Seriously, you can get an 04+ GSXR 600 front end for a few hundred bucks and I don't think it takes much work at all to bolt that up.

I would trick the suspension on the bike you have and eventually if you want to get an SS you can turn the SV into your first race bike. :)

·
Registered
1,357 Posts
If you drop $1000 into that SV to set it up for your weight you will have a better handeling bike for you than any brand new stock 600 (or 675) cc super sport.

Of course, if you drop $1000 into a new 600 ss you will have an even better handeling bike. The way I look at it is this: it is way more fun to go fast on a "slow" bike than to go slow on a "fast" bike.

IMO, keep the SV, and set it up for you! When you are ready to move up you will know what you are doing, and will have even more fun.

·
Registered
7,447 Posts
I know how you feel about the SV. One thing that is definately lacking on that bike is the suspension. Second thing is the brakes.
You should be able to find a front end from a GSXR on ebay for $700 or less. Add a Ohlins shock on the rear and get stainless steel brake lines, and you would have the perfect bike for riding twisties. :thumbup

·
Registered
2,298 Posts
Since nobody asked yet... How is your suspension setup? Is your preload set properly and have you tried to optimize damping?

If not, then definately hold off on spending money. Adjustable suspensions offer a good range of settings and can make a world of difference in handling characteristics. Get yours sorted out, and maybe get proper springs for your weight.

It sounds to me like you're putting a lot of stock into upgrade parts. You need to make sure you explore the capability of your current parts before dumping money into new stuff. I would hate to hear you come back and post that you upgraded the components, but are still unhappy with the handling.

But if you've already done that, and the handling is the only thing that bothers you about the SV, then I say keep it and upgrade.

·
Registered
7,769 Posts
For adjustability, throwing on a set of GSXR forks and a GSXR shock would be the better option.

However, I have a few buddies on older SV's that opted to upgrade the rear shock and have it revalved and resprung for their weight. And, they keep the SV forks, but have the springs changed and the forks revalved. Lack of adjustability in the front end has never been an issuse. However, if you need to make a slight damping adjustment, just change the oil. No big deal.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
mlongo99 said:
Since nobody asked yet... How is your suspension setup? Is your preload set properly and have you tried to optimize damping?
Preload is as close as I can get, and damping is a joke. There is no damping adjustment, other than different weight oil without upgrading/swapping out the stock fork/shock.

·
Touches wangs, because he touches his own
4,510 Posts
There are a couple of things you can do. This bike is awesome though and is fun to ride. Go to the svrider.com as there are a bunch of people there with great advice. My advice to you is to keep the bike and set up the suspension. Depending on how much you want to spend I would buy a Penske (not Ohlins), and go to traxxion dynamics for the fork set up. Ohlins is a good shock but you can get a Penske to handle better for cheaper monies.

Grav.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.