Suzuki GSX-R Motorcycle Forums Gixxer.com banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have just got an GSXR750L race bike, the vin plate had been removed at some stage with the manufacture date, but is still has the frame number. Was told by old owner that it was build in 89. Is there anyway of finding out when it was build.

·
Registered
1,012 Posts
Just noticed your post splinta, you've may have found the answer already, but if not :
Even easier to check the engine number the 1990 'L' model has an R716 engine and 749cc stamped on the barrel - the earlier 1989 'K' engine starts R707 and has 748cc stamped on the barrel. The factory makes the next year's model in the second half of the previous year normally - so most 1990 bikes would've been made in 1989 - the 1988/89 GSXR has the smallest Slingshot frame in height, as the engine for those years had the shortest stroke and therefore shorter barrels.

Another thing to look for is the swingarm - the 1988/89 have very rectangular arms and double nut on a threaded bar type adjuster - if you do a Google search you'll see what I mean.
Nick

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Yeah I knew the two models before it were the short stoke motor but didn't know about the swingarms. I'm just trying to find info about the L model and people who have the that model that were made in 89 so I can get info to prove to anyone who races here to say it can't be ridden. One of our rules says it has to of be manufactured before the end of 89. So any info that i'm given would be helpful

1 - 3 of 3 Posts