Suzuki GSX-R Motorcycle Forums Gixxer.com banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
163 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I was riding around today on my 88 750, and after a while it would start to die on idle, and was hard to start after, had to keep choke off and give it a bunch of throttle to start it, and keep the rpm's at 6kish for a couple secs before it would idle w/out dieing. but then it would idle loopy, and when i get going and drive around more then come to a light or whatever, when it has to idle it dies again

any ideas guys?
thanks.

·
Registered
1,014 Posts
Possibly needs to be rejeted. DO you have the stock air box or individual filters?

·
Registered
163 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
i couldnt tell you about the filters, pretty sure the airbox is stock. it has a pro comp hindle exhaust tho. this bike is fairly new to me. can i just take it to a shop to be rejetted?
i was thinking it might be out of sync. how much does this cost (about) to do, and how long does it take?
i would fix it myself, but really dont have the time anymore
work to much
thanks

·
Registered
163 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
i just had a look at the bike, it dripping fuel out the exhaust pipe, dumping way to much fuel into the carbs or something at idle. it was dropped recently when my friend rode it. was very slow speed drop, like 2mph. might that have knocked somthing out of kilter?

·
Registered
553 Posts
Hey Jayson, if you are concerned that too much gas is going into your carbs, then I would check your oil level in the crankcase..!! I have a thread going on in the watercooler section at the moment, about my carbs flooding and gas spewing into the cylinders and down into the crankcase.

This is obviously a bad thing, I need to drain my oil and refill with fresh. It would appear I have at least one float bowl valve that is jamming and allowing gas to flood the engine, and this is my first fix. This may not be your problem, but just something to be aware of.

Good Luck....Dave.

·
Registered
1,103 Posts
I would take the carbs off and check the floats etc. Probably something loose in there, dirt or a stuck/damaged float

Andy.

[ 07-01-2002, 11:13 AM: Message edited by: Andy James ]

·
Registered
553 Posts
If the floats seem OK, have a look at the fuelcock as well... I killed a VF500 when the diaphragm in the vacuum fuelcock failed and filled the crankcase with gasoline...
<font size="2" face="Verdana, Arial">I just did exactly this, a great way to ruin a nice batch of fully synthetic oil..!!

As a point of interest, if the floats and float valves are in good shape, surely the carbs shouldn't overflow and fill the crank..?? Prime keeps the fuel pressure constant, which is surely the equivalent of a failure in the vacuum part of the fuel petcock..??

Dave..

·
Registered
163 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
i think it has to be the fuel valve, bike has been sitting for over 12 hours now and its still leaking fuel onto the ground. btw, its parked on asphault

heh. i just ordered the oem manual and another manual for it, so should get this fixed shortly. you siad you filler your case with fuel, did you then just fix the prob and throw in new oil/do a change
or was the motor fucked from having fuel in amongst the bearings n shit?
thanks

·
Registered
553 Posts
I need to do an oil and filter change. I'll probably just use cheapo oil as it might be best just to use it to flush the remaining gas and then dump it, and put the preferred in after that. Engine will be OK as long as I don't keep running it with gasoline in the crank....

I don't know why this is happening, so the best I can do is clean the carbs and hope that did the trick.

·
Registered
360 Posts
Gently pull the carbs and blow into the fuel inlet if you can blow any air (by mouth, no comments
)into the inlet then the seat/float is bad or dirty. A bad petcock by it self will not make gas overflow as the older gixxers do not have a vacuum safety.

·
Registered
204 Posts
I like how this is going my srad is doing the same... I dont have fuel coming out my exhault, I have a fire ball that comes out when I do give it gas, while Im doing that it fights with me to gain higher rpms. Im running yosh 3 from header to midpipe with no can which I have no backpressure... but Ived been running it like that for 3 months now but now I guess it just catching up to me... any help

1 - 13 of 13 Posts