Suzuki GSX-R Motorcycle Forums Gixxer.com banner

1 - 20 of 38 Posts

·
Registered
349 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Bike has been running perfectly since I got it a few months ago. 2006 gsxr 1k. Drove it to work and a friends house about 30 miles. It sat for about 2 hours, I went and cranked it and its puttering and spitting fuel out the exhaust. it sounds like a miss for sure.

Could it be a stuck valve in the open position? spark plug fouled/wires?

I'm pretty pissed right now.

·
Premium Member
24,541 Posts
Start the bike and gently touch each header pipe while the engine is idling,see if any are cold.

·
Registered
349 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
all 4 red hot..

ok, I left out a very important part. I came to my friends and picked up my rear seat, and both rear passenger pegs I ordered from ebay, both seats and pegs were oem, the bolts I'm not sure of.
Installed the pegs/seat and after that I started the bike and it was running crazy, like a major miss with gas coming from the exhaust and white smoke. I inspected the bolts and the only one suspect was the left side front bolt, I took the bolt out and now it seems to be running perfect again, although still smoking slightly, but this could be because of the amount of fuel still stuck in the pipe.

I just rode it and it rides normal now.

WTF!!! Did this bolt go to deep and hit a wire some how?

·
Registered
349 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Holy crap, this is real life.. This is exactly what happened, I took my seat off and the left wire harness that connects to the ECU got pinched by the STUPID!! BOLT!! , I can see where it cut into the wire loom and I see a few wires damaged. While it runs now without the bolt, I can still see the damaged wires.

This is going to be a disaster. I need to repair these wires some how .

Arrggg!! I cannot believe this happened!

·
Premium Member
24,541 Posts
Hey,at least you figured out what the issue was. Fixing it is the easy part ;)

·
Registered
349 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Yea, still in shock this happened, I bet it created a short on one of the injectors and it was stuck in the open position.
Pouring fuel into one of the cylinders.
That said, I'm so darn lucky I didn't hydrolock the motor!

·
Registered
349 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
made it home, about 25 miles away. the first 5 or so miles it was clearing out all the fuel and it smoked a little, got on the hwy and opened her up a little. No more smoke and running normal again.

That said I think I'm going to change the plugs , not sure which cylinder it was but one of them had to get doused with fuel.

is the plugs thats recommended still NGK CR9E 6263 ??

Thanks

·
You should listen to me. No, seriously, listen to
7,705 Posts
The rear footrests are attached by 23 mm long screws.

CR9E sounds OK.

Weird.

·
Registered
349 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
they were the stock bolts, they did not come with washers and I looked online and it looks like none do.

they were the stock bolts from the looks of it, 10mm nut. 23mm length sounds right.
The left side front bolt was the culprit. I saw the hole it put into the wire loom, there are two connectors that plug in, then wrap backwards towards the front, it was right at that bend, it some how pinched the loom against the side in there and punched through.

It obviously grounded/shorted a wire, I'm thinking an injector and it was stuck open.

I'm not gonna sleep tonight :( just praying I didn't damage anything. thinking it was a fouled plug I drove it like that for about 1000 yards. stalling every time I came to idle.

It feels normal again and is no longer blowing any smoke, so hopefully I dodged a major issue. I just put in fresh 10/40 mobile 1 oil too, not sure if I should dump it, like I said I smell some fuel in the case from the fill cap, but it could just be from dripping from the header gasket area and getting on everything.

I'll take pics this weekend for shits, before I repair it. Gonna get some liquid electrical tape.

·
I know things... A lot of things.
3,147 Posts
You might want to make sure the routing of that part of the wiring, and of all wiring in general, is correct, while you're at it doing repairs. I find it hard to believe that OEM routing would allow for this to happen.

·
Registered
212 Posts
You might want to make sure the routing of that part of the wiring, and of all wiring in general, is correct, while you're at it doing repairs. I find it hard to believe that OEM routing would allow for this to happen.
Yeah...doesnt seem right or there would be an entire forum section based on that alone.

·
Registered
349 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
The rear footrests are attached by 23 mm long screws.

CR9E sounds OK.

Weird.
did not see this picture yesterday, the bolts I received are MUCH longer and do not thread the entire length.

here is the OEM pegs I bought

notice the bolts

·
Captain Obvious ... because obviously it’s obvious
3,859 Posts
Yeah, those are some random bolts.

·
7,705 Posts
I saw the ebay listing last night and was wondering about it, namely I thought that the bolts had a button head. So I dug up a pic this morning and added it to my post, hoping that you'd see it. Hard to tell but your's look more like this:

Wrong head, too long.

·
Registered
349 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
that's mine!!

This ebay seller is awesome too! he has all OEM items (used but in good shape) for decent prices, best part his shipping is extremely fast.

Shame but I think I'm going to have to let him know about this.
Bill, those are the bolts it came with, it might have just come off of a bike and he packaged it up thinking it was oem.

thanks

·
7,705 Posts
That bolt is associated with an exhaust clamp and with attaching the cowling brace to the front of the frame.

·
Registered
349 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
So there should only be 1 of those bolts and 3 like you showed?

I saw the exhaust hanger, but that was on the right side of the bike, the issue was the left side.

What I cannot get out of my head Bill, is, what exactly happened. Was it a stuck injector just wide open, was it some how one of the plugs. It was a miss for sure, with fuel dripping from the exhaust headers (between gasket and head) and of course coming from the pipe, just flooding the pipe with fuel.

It grounded a wire or 2, I will look this weekend when I repair them, so maybe one of the many wires I could diagnose and figure out what happened. How I didn't hydrolock the engine, or cause major damage is beyond me.

Thing runs perfect again like nothing happened

·
7,705 Posts
The first button head bolt that I showed is used in eight places, four for the front footrests and four for the rear footrests. The second hex flanged bolt is used in three places, two at the cowling brace and one at the exhaust clamp. However things are slightly more complicated. The OEM flanged bolt was 01550-08403 and had an olive drab finish. It's been superseded by 01550-0840A and 01550-0840B, which I think both had the zinc plated silver finish in the picture.

The injectors get 12V to one side when the ignition is turned on. So if the other side was grounded, the injector would probably open up. If the fuel pump was on it would just squirt fuel continuously. Something like that probably happened to you.

·
Registered
349 Posts
Discussion Starter #19 (Edited)
So I opened her up today and it wasn't a pretty sight. I opened the throttle bodies and can see my valves (exhaust?) completely black with soot on them, soot and some other black material, I should have taken a picture of them. They were the left side valves on the left side of the bike, I assume that's the exhaust?

The airbox has that foam stuff in it, not sure what its for but when I opened it up it was pretty much liquified, I had to spray it out and clean it. I no longer have it. My foam for the intake vents (the two that go towards the front) were also a little bad but I replaced it with a trip to Lowes. but not the one in the airbox here (not mine)

whats it used for, how important is it if I don't replace it ASAP? and where can I get it?
Thanks.

Here is the damage from the bolt

you can see the hole it put and a good 2-3 wires got pinched.
I carefully peeled away the loom and used liquid electrical tape to cover the exposed wire, a few coats and then nicely taped it back up.

I changed the plugs while I was at it, they looked a little dark

Put it all back together and got proper 23mm bolts. Bike is running great, although I need to some how clean those valves, not sure if time will eventually do it or maybe some seafoam?

Thanks

1 - 20 of 38 Posts