Suzuki GSX-R Motorcycle Forums Gixxer.com banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello, new to the forums and I’m hoping I can get some help with my 07 gsxr 600. So my bike was running really hot, I would get over 235 on the freeway and of course I would shut her down as not to damage the motor. For context I live in Phoenix and it is currently summer time. I swapped out the thermostat and this seemed to help it stay much cooler. I now run anywhere from 200 to 212 on the freeway. I will occasionally see it get about 226 at stop lights but my fan kicks on at 220 as it should but sometimes it still creeps up a little to hot for my liking. My buddy has an 06 and he’s typically running anywhere from 10 to 30 degrees cooler than me. He averages about 185 on the freeway. I changed out my coolant for water and water wetter and also a side note I mostly ride at night with the current weather being about 88-100 degrees. Does anyone know why my bike is running that much more hot than his and is this something I should be concerned about? Thanks for any help.

·
Registered
1,146 Posts
Small leak somewhere? Perhaps your radiatorcap, radiator or hoses aren't holding pressure well enough because of permeation?

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I appreciate the response! I bought a new high pressure radiator cap because I did read that it may not be holding pressure but I wondered if it could potentially be the radiator itself. Is there a way to check the pressure before I buy new hoses and or a radiator?

·
Registered
1,146 Posts
I appreciate the response! I bought a new high pressure radiator cap because I did read that it may not be holding pressure but I wondered if it could potentially be the radiator itself. Is there a way to check the pressure before I buy new hoses and or a radiator?
There are several leakfinder products available

·
Premium Member
1,428 Posts
Those are pretty normal temps now. I dont have that bike but my Yamaha used to run those temps exactly how you describe. What changes does your friend have on his bike? Is your radiator clean? Try flushing the coolant more often.

·
Registered
1,146 Posts
Those are pretty normal temps now. I dont have that bike but my Yamaha used to run those temps exactly how you describe. What changes does your friend have on his bike?
True, K6's run pretty warm, 185 in moderate summer climate is normal, so in Phoenix, is rather good
His buddy running up to 30 less sounds almost like he doesn't have a thermostat installed, 155F is what I get in wintertime and only rarely

Try flushing the coolant more often.
That shouldn't matter much, though my current bike's coolant smelled like rotten ass when I changed my hoses, suspecting that stuff had been in it for years, it still cooled fine

·
Premium Member
1,428 Posts
That shouldn't matter much, though my current bike's coolant smelled like rotten ass when I changed my hoses, suspecting that stuff had been in it for years, it still cooled fine
It’s hard to measure any benefit but
it can’t hurt to flush the coolant. I do it quite often. I have one bike that I purchased used, it was on the original coolant when I got it. I did several changes before it started to get cleaned up. You are probably right, the difference in performance is probably marginal or even not noticeable but it will help keep everything clean and keep it running efficiently. Not a bad thing to do if you are worried about this issue.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts