Suzuki GSX-R Motorcycle Forums Gixxer.com banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
192 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Bike doesn\'t want to start and hesitates: PLEASE HELP

Hey everyone,
This is my first post. I bought a 1997 GSXR 600 from one of the members on this board, and the day after I bought it, I am having issues. The bike is trying to turn over, but will not fully for a LONG time. This has happened both times I have tried to start it from being cold, and I am forced to recharge the battery because it will not start within the first battery life. When it did start the first time, I let it warm up fully and rode it around. It hesitates BAD if I try to give it any decent throttle. It seems to idle fine, and when I stopped by the Suzuki dealership yesterday, their service guy said it was probably just bad gas, since I was told it had been sitting for a few weeks. I put 1.5 gallons of fresh gas to mix with the old stuff, in hopes of improving the situation a little, but it looks like it was too early to make a difference at all.
So, right now I have a bike that is two days old for me and it won't run. Please advise me on what to do, and keep in mind that I do not know bikes well, so any information on how to do what I need to do would be appreciated.
Thanks a lot for your help!
Mike

·
Registered
5,804 Posts
Re: Bike doesn\'t want to start and hesitates: PLEASE HELP

this could be a number of things but i would first get the magneto/alternator checked out,then the battery,either the battery is no good and is losing its charge or it isnt being charged correctly
if you have a voltmeter put it across the battery and rev the bike to 4-5k revs it should increase in volts
have you asked the previous owner for any help,perhaps its a problem he has had before
good luck man

it sucks to have problems so soon after getting the bike

·
Registered
192 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·

Well, I found out what the problem is. The bike is completely screwed. The tank was blown out (to try to take out a dent) and it actually blew out the bottom, causing the filter and airbox to get completely smashed. As well, the choke was not even connected. The shop also informed me that the bike had suffered frame damage from some kind of large accident. I am quite upset about it and talked to the person I bought it from. He isn't doing anything so I am taking him to court. I have to contact my lawyer Monday. It really sucks that people would be dishonest enough to sell someone a bike in this kind of condition and then say that it is perfect and has never been dumped.

·
Registered
1,249 Posts

This is bad news ,i hope it can be resolved either way. In South African law , u have to prove the owner was aware of the problems before having a case strong enough to win,still a case of buyer beware ,but if the previous owner was aware of the problems and did not tell you then he has to recompense the new owner. Good luck !!

·
Registered
4,102 Posts

It really sucks when these things happen. When I bought my '98 Gixxer, it wouldn't start the first time I tried to get it going! Luckily the only problem was a dead battery in need of replacement. In my case, the seller wasn't willing to replace it until I informed him that I'd be contacting a small claims lawyer the following morning. He was over that night with a new battery in hand.

Even if the guy who sold you your bike was unaware of the problems, he still can't be allowed to keep the sale funds since it can be argued that the bike is worth less than what was determined. It was thought that the bike was in perfect shape, and the seller even informed the buyer that this was so. If the seller didnt know of the damage, it doesn't mean that he's off the hook.
Imagine someone selling their house fully furnished. But before the buyer moves in, someone steals all the furniture unbeknownst to the seller. The seller would still be on the hook to replace the furniture or renegotiate a new deal without the furniture.

PS- if this South African law were true, wouldn't it be easy for two individuals to get together and commit some serious fraud? (person #1 plays the innocent and unknowing while person #2 switches & steals. then person #1 claims innocence as he didn't know about anything being changed and walks away scott-free)

1 - 5 of 5 Posts