Suzuki GSX-R Motorcycle Forums Gixxer.com banner

1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello, and thanks for reading. I really appreciate the time anyone takes to help with this process.
I am still pretty new to motorbikes, so this is going to be a learning process.

Motorbike does not start.

Turn the key on.
Rev needle goes around the clock and the fuel pump primes.
Clutch in and hit the start button and I just get a click, the starter does not turn over.

Where do I start?

·
Registered
4 Posts
I don’t know too much, just learning my own bike also. Try adjusting the clutch cable on the handlebars OR while the clutch is pulled in, slowly let out while hitting the start button. Maybe something just as simple as that.

·
Dreaming of buttsecks for years...
14,323 Posts
Two things. 1) Can you push start it? 2) How old is the battery?

·
Registered
508 Posts
I don’t know too much, just learning my own bike also. Try adjusting the clutch cable on the handlebars OR while the clutch is pulled in, slowly let out while hitting the start button. Maybe something just as simple as that.
Really? It's priming and clicking when he hits the start button. Sounds a lot like a battery needing charge?

·
Captain Obvious ... because obviously it’s obvious
4,019 Posts
If you don't feel like push-starting it, put it on a charger or hook up jump cables and see if it starts. If it does, it's battery/charging system related. If it doesn't, then we're going to start looking at the starter components.

·
Premium Member
510 Posts
Battery. 12.7v. You will need a multi meter. Buy the best one you can afford.

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #9 (Edited)
Don't think it's an issue with the clutch switch, but thanks for the suggestion. Everything seems tight and working as it should be there.

Two things. 1) Can you push start it? 2) How old is the battery?
The battery is brand new, but I put the multimeter across it and it's flat as! Got in on charge now. Haven't tried to push start it, I live on a steep hill and I could obviously roll it down but if it didn't start it's quite a push to get it back up again.

Has this question ever been asked before :unsure:
Yes it has mate. Thanks for your helpful input. I have read the forums and done some searches and am doing what has been suggested before now, but it doesn't hurt to make a post and ask as well.

Battery. 12.7v. You will need a multi meter. Buy the best one you can afford.
Thanks! Checked the battery with the multimeter, it's flat, reading 11.5v
Have got it on charge now.

The reason I wasn't sure about the battery being flat or not is because the tow/repair guy tried to jump the bike and could not, and he said he didn't think it was a battery issue.
I will take that as heresy and check for myself in future.

Have got the battery on charge now and will see what happens when it's fully charged.
Thanks for all the help guys, appreciate the responses to a pretty novice question that I am sure gets asked all the time.

·
Registered
508 Posts
Can you download a service manual? There's a smidgen more than just the battery at rest. Like when cranking, etc. How old the battery? They do 'go bad'

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
While your battery is on charge, be a good time to check wires\connectors, stator\rectifier for any signs of melt or burn & give all connections a good clean.
Nothing stands out with the wiring and connectors. Opened all the plugs and checked all the fuses and gave everything a good clean, no obvious corrosion and nothing burned or melted.
Can you download a service manual? There's a smidgen more than just the battery at rest. Like when cranking, etc. How old the battery? They do 'go bad'
The battery is brand new, bought it brand new just over a month ago.

Now that i've had the charger on the battery for a bit, this is what i'm getting across the battery with the bike off.
It was a little higher then that but I turned the ignition on a couple of times and tried to start it, and it dropped a little.

This is what I get when I switch the ignition on, the fuel pump primes, the light comes on, and the rev needles goes up the clock and back down again.

When I press the ignition switch, I get a click AND the pump whine.
The volts drop from 12.36v to 12.23v, then back up to 12.36v when I depress the ignition switch.
The video below isn't great but it's me flicking the switch three times, the third time I hold it a little longer so the camera picks up what the multimeter is reading a little easier.

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #13 (Edited)
I have found and had a look at the manual (Page 372 - Starter System).
So I guess my next step should be to hardwire the starter motor onto my + battery terminal and see if it flicks over?
I have some 35mm battery cable here, I should be fine holding that on my starter terminal, and my +battery terminal yeah?

EDIT/UPDATE:
Ran a thick 35mm cable from the + bolt on top of the starter motor directly to the + on the battery and nothing at all. Did this with the battery connected to the bike loom and the ignition turned on, and again with the battery disconnected from the bike loom (but still - earthed to the bike, same as the starter.

So that means my starter motor is dead, right?
There's nothing else I am missing here that would stop it from turning over if hard wired to the battery?

·
Premium Member
4,596 Posts
if you get juice to the battery with proper volts and amperage and it doesn't turn very good indication your starter is toast, the old screw driver arc test.. if it spins trace backwards, testing continuity and supply, ground so forth

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
if you get juice to the battery with proper volts and amperage and it doesn't turn very good indication your starter is toast, the old screw driver arc test.. if it spins trace backwards, testing continuity and supply, ground so forth
Yup that's the one, bridged the relay with a pair of pliers and also run a thick cable from battery positive to starter motor positive.
Nothing at all. Dead as a door knob. Will remove and disassemble today.

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Did some disassembly this morning and it certainly looks like the starter motor is the culprit. The brushes are pretty much worn right through and the spring mechanism was slightly seized, not pushing the brushes hard up against the commutator.

Well on the bright side I am now a lot more familiar with the inside of my motorbike! And I can tidy up the loom and bits and pieces while I am here.

I will have a look for starter motor rebuild kits, and if not I guess i'l just purchase a new complete unit.

·
Registered
947 Posts
Did some disassembly this morning and it certainly looks like the starter motor is the culprit. The brushes are pretty much worn right through and the spring mechanism was slightly seized, not pushing the brushes hard up against the commutator.
View attachment 576054
View attachment 576055
View attachment 576056
View attachment 576057

Well on the bright side I am now a lot more familiar with the inside of my motorbike! And I can tidy up the loom and bits and pieces while I am here.

I will have a look for starter motor rebuild kits, and if not I guess i'l just purchase a new complete unit.
New brushes oem

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #18

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
Thanks for your advice and taking the time to help on a question that I am sure is asked all the time by people new to motorbikes.
Have learned a lot just going through the process of troubleshooting.

Will update when I am back on the road :)

1 - 20 of 26 Posts