Suzuki GSX-R Motorcycle Forums Gixxer.com banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello İ have a gsxr 750 k6 recently bought it, started it up lots of times with no issues but until last week where I started it and it run perfectly then suddenly cut out the fuel light flashed, so i added fuel and only started up by a booster but cuts after 10-15secs and doesn't start up again just clicks, lights come on, i can hear the fuel pump working fine.
İ have to use the booster to start it up everytime but keeps cutting out, .
Any suggestions please .

·
Registered
65 Posts
started it up lots of times with no issues
As in started it, let it run stationary, gave it some good revs and then shut off? Then there's a good chance you fried your rectifier, common issue on these bikes (google is your friend). Also your battery might need changing out...

·
Administrator
15,449 Posts
Would the rectifier have burnt if
Yes, you would probably notice it but doesn't mean it's not damaged if you don't. Grab a service manual and go through the testing procedure. If it tests fine, look into relocating it once your bike gets going. From there I would look into a fuel related issue for it cutting out.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #6 (Edited)
Started it up with a booster, the voltage slowly is going up to 9.70 the more the bike runs but cut out again check the voltage and it was dropping down 7 6 5, when ignition on the voltage is about 1.56 - 2.

·
Administrator
15,449 Posts
Started it up with a booster, the voltage slowly is going up to 9.70 the more the bike runs but cut out again check the voltage and it was dropping down 7 6 5, when ignition on the voltage is about 1.56 - 2.
Maybe I misunderstood. So the bike won't crank or turn the engine on its own? You have to hook up a booster? If that's the case sounds like a bad battery. Get a good battery and go through charging system test procedures per the manual. If the bike isn't charging a good battery, could be a bad stator too.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
It doesn't crank over just clicks without booster but when the started with booster it reads 9.70 volts, then cuts out after 10-15seconds

·
Registered
65 Posts
Of course it dies with a battery voltage that low. With the engine running at 4500(?)rpm the battery should be at +14V. Something is badly wrong with your charging system.
Stop trying to start it, remove the battery and recharge (it might already be broken from letting it drain that far).
Now get a service manua,l as Ironhead401 already said, and a dmm and start measuring, hopefully it's just the rectifier...

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Charged the battery up overnight and it's at 12.20v, started the bike while revving it up to 500 the voltage seemed to go up from 11.6 to 12 but then it cut out but this time everything went and nothing comes on the speedo

·
Premium Member
4,274 Posts
do a battery load test, if the battery is shot it can do this..

on a full charge on a good battery you should be able to ride it for 8 hours easy no issues, however if the battery is dead or has a fault you can charge it, it reads good voltage but under load it fails, a multi meter doesn't put the battery under load so it cannot tell if its stable..

auto parts stores can test the battery for load, sometime they appear good after a charge but really they're not, and the gauges like to dance as they go completely dead, run funny, then BOOM! bike dies, let it set a lil' and then key on the light will be dim, the batter tries to charge itself and can enough to run a light or run the bike for bit, then nothing..

fully test that battery

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
do a battery load test, if the battery is shot it can do this..

on a full charge on a good battery you should be able to ride it for 8 hours easy no issues, however if the battery is dead or has a fault you can charge it, it reads good voltage but under load it fails, a multi meter doesn't put the battery under load so it cannot tell if its stable..

auto parts stores can test the battery for load, sometime they appear good after a charge but really they're not, and the gauges like to dance as they go completely dead, run funny, then BOOM! bike dies, let it set a lil' and then key on the light will be dim, the batter tries to charge itself and can enough to run a light or run the bike for bit, then nothing..

fully test that battery

It was the fuse on starter relay, changed it and it started but then smoke came out of rectifier so going to change that next week and see how it goes,
I'll keep you updated.
Thanks for your help

1 - 12 of 12 Posts