Suzuki GSX-R Motorcycle Forums Gixxer.com banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
130 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey,

I'm a new rider and not too familiar with how everything works on a bike, but I seem to be having an issue with my 99 gsxr600. Every now and again while I have the throttle on a little bit going at a constant speed, the bike seems to chug. The only way to stop the chugging is to get off the throttle or to turn it more. Any help would be great, if you need more info let me know.

Thanks

·
Registered
1,166 Posts
Sounds to me like you are cruising at too low of an rpm for it to chug like that. Try switching gears to keep the rpm up.

·
Registered
83 Posts
Can you give us an example of when this happens. What gear you're in, what speed you're at and where are the RPMs.

·
Registered
38 Posts
My 97 600 does exactly the same below 4K RPM. It judders then feels like it hunts for fuel and after 4K it flys no problem. When slowing down the motor sometimes cuts out.

·
Registered
4,896 Posts
i hear that has something to do with the pilot jets or idle jets

·
Registered
512 Posts
Mine does exactly the same - 97 600....

on either constant throttle or steady acceleration it 'chugs' almost as though it is starved of fuel. It's definately not too low revs as it does it at 5000 - 9000 revs and probably either side also. it's a real pain in the ass and makes riding my bike a misery. On WOT it's fine and goes well.

To top it all Crescent Suzuki gave it a full service two months ago.

·
Registered
63 Posts
MIne does the same below 4000rpm...irritates the hell out of me. Worst part is that I've just spent a lot of money having it dyno tuned, replacing teh needles & jets, etc.

·
Registered
100 Posts
Same here. By the time its near 5000 rpms it seems fine but otherwise its chugging. Originally I did heaps of surfing, reading reviews etc about them and came across the review at http://www.motorcycle.com/mo/mccompare/top600s.html (97 model) and likewise here about the 99 600 : http://www.motorcycle.com/mo/mccompare/99_600s.html

They were going on about drive chain lash? Eg in the above link for the 99 review they quoted "The driveline lash that was so prominent on our 1997 test bike wasn't noticed in this year's model"

I kept thinking I was experiencing this when i felt that chugging? even though i do have a 99.

To tell you the truth I don't even exactly know what drive chain lash actually means....
What is drive chain lash?

I kept thinking this "drive chain" lash was repsonsible for how it behaved at the lower rpms (obviously riding in to high a gear would achieve the same thing). Or is this just a wives tale that sorted with correct tuning?

Cheers,
Rob

·
Registered
63 Posts
I think you've got a point there - I also suspected the chain and was convinced it was slack, but it checked out fine.

·
Premium Member
4,142 Posts
i have the same problem, but its limited o below about 2500 rpm.
keep the revs a little higher as suggested, and if youve checked your chain, you might want to take any slack out of your throttle cable.

what your experiencing (if its the same as me) is a bit like if your just starting to roll in a car in 1st gear, then lift the clutch fully immediately - the car jumps around like a kangaroo (you see learners do it in manual cars all the time in the UK).

the amount of fuel needed to maintain a low rev steady throttle means the fuel being dumped in to the chamberis tiny, and the control of fuel on the older bikes gives a kind of 'throttle on, throttle off' feel. this is resolved with fuel injection, although any engine will give this kind of problem at the bottom of its optimum rev range.

i tend to keep my revs down just out of habit more than anything, and to stop any unnecessary jerky throttle, move your right hand out a boyt so your pinky knuckle is over the bar-end and not the grip, its also a good tip for smoothing out throttle control until you get used to a bikes characteristics.

·
Registered
63 Posts
When servicing my bike I've noticed a lot of play on the throttle cables so I've set them properly and guess what? Most of the jerkiness is gone!

1 - 11 of 11 Posts