Suzuki GSX-R Motorcycle Forums Gixxer.com banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
47 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I often head up north with either my truck or motor home and sometimes want to bring the bike along. I already have a racecar trailer (26” goldrush) that I can put the bike in. But other times I don’t bring the racecar but would still like to take the bike with me.

The other day I saw a guy fly past me with a truck and he had a sport bike on a carrier into the trailer receiver and it looked fairly sturdy. Does anyone else do this and what are the general thoughts on transporting your bike this way? I did find this site

Phil

·
Registered
44 Posts
I have one of those that is made by VersHaul. Once it is on and everything is tightened down, it works great. I've only made one trip so far with it (about 300 miles each way) but I like it. I think it is better than a trailer if you are just carryng one sport bike and it is relatively easy to load and unload, especially with 2 people. I can get some picture of my bike on it if you'd like to see that.

Here's a link to the one I have:
http://www.versahaul.com/vhsportro.html

·
Premium Member
285 Posts
BigEdge169 said:
I have one of those that is made by VersHaul. Once it is on and everything is tightened down, it works great. I've only made one trip so far with it (about 300 miles each way) but I like it. I think it is better than a trailer if you are just carryng one sport bike and it is relatively easy to load and unload, especially with 2 people. I can get some picture of my bike on it if you'd like to see that.

Here's a link to the one I have:
http://www.versahaul.com/vhsportro.html

could you please post some pics I am interested in this also but just wasn't sure how safe this is.

·
Registered
44 Posts
Here's one picture I have now, but I had to leave it at my parents house last time because of really bad rain (as you can see a little in the picture). I can get some more this weekend if anyone would like any more close up pictures.

It seemed to ride great on the 300 mile trip I made so far, and the majority of that was on the highway doing 70+. I was nervous as hell at first and pulled over 3 times, but it was always solid each time I checked.

·
Registered
47 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Thanks for the picture. I saw a guy fly by me doing 70 and I got right behind him and the bike was rock solid. Do you think one person can load it and unload it? Did you push it or walk beside it driving it up the ramp?

Phil

·
Registered
712 Posts
is that a 2 inch hitch receiver i see on that versahaul?? hmm see i have many toys so that would come in very handy for me to be able to pull my trailer with my quads on it and stick the bike on the back i would just have to check the tounge weight that might be pushing the limits.. anyone have any input on what im talking about??

·
Registered
44 Posts
Well when I loaded I had help from a friend and we just pushed it up and it was easy enough. I think it can be done with one person, but you just have to work out a good technique. Our bikes are very stable standing straight up, so you just have to make sure you keep it that way.

The one I have does have a 2" receiver on the back side but there is factory warnings about load capacities and bla bla bla, personally I think it would be just fine to pull something. The one I have weighs about 75 pounds so it is pretty solid. Either way, I would suggest having a class IV hitch to pull it, along with the "anti-tilt" device that mine came with, it just makes everything that much more solid.

·
Registered
1,260 Posts
check these out also: http://www.mototote.com/ the guy that bought my 750 took it home on 1 of these. it was on there pretty good. it dod squat the back of his chev tahoe down pretty good.
max tounge weight is usually 500lbs so with a full tank of gas a 600/750 is closing in on that. (mine w/no lites, track set up was 400lbs)
i was going to get 1 of these for toting the supermoto bike but found an inexpensive trailer and got it instead.

·
Registered
5 Posts
BigEdge169 said:
It seemed to ride great on the 300 mile trip I made so far, and the majority of that was on the highway doing 70+. I was nervous as hell at first and pulled over 3 times, but it was always solid each time I checked.
There's a local Versahaul dealer and I'm thinking in buying one.

Have you had any problems so far?
Does annyone else have this same carrier?
It seems like a very sturdy one.

regards,
Charles

·
Registered
44 Posts
Mastersonics said:
There's a local Versahaul dealer and I'm thinking in buying one.

Have you had any problems so far?
Does annyone else have this same carrier?
It seems like a very sturdy one.

regards,
Charles
I'll be headed down tomorrow to pick my bike up, but I won't make the return trip until Monday or Tuesday. I can take some close-up pics if anyone wants them (the rack on the truck or the bike on the rack).

·
Registered
5 Posts
BigEdge169 said:
I'll be headed down tomorrow to pick my bike up, but I won't make the return trip until Monday or Tuesday. I can take some close-up pics if anyone wants them (the rack on the truck or the bike on the rack).

So would you say that this is a secure way of transporting a bike?

My bike is a 2005 GSXR 600 and I have a Class III hitch. (tongue weight of 600lbs)
The bike is around 375-380lbs with all the fluids etc...
the only thing that worries me is the wiggle and potholes since
the weight increments big time after a pothole at speed etc...

I just want to have peace of mind before I buy this later on today.

any other comments?

regards,
Charles

·
Registered
44 Posts
Mastersonics said:
So would you say that this is a secure way of transporting a bike?

My bike is a 2005 GSXR 600 and I have a Class III hitch. (tongue weight of 600lbs)
The bike is around 375-380lbs with all the fluids etc...
the only thing that worries me is the wiggle and potholes since
the weight increments big time after a pothole at speed etc...

I just want to have peace of mind before I buy this later on today.

any other comments?

regards,
Charles

I'd say it is, I have a 06 750 and it rides just fine back there. I was nervous as hell on the maiden voyage, but it took every bump just fine. The key part to the carrier I bought is the "anti-tilt" device that tightens everything up and makes the carrier rock solid. I'll get some pictures of what I am talking about so it makes a little more sense.

Another important thing is to make sure you have 4 high quality straps and suck those front forks way down and your front tire will sit solid up against the front chock, just like having a bike in any trailer.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.