Suzuki GSX-R Motorcycle Forums Gixxer.com banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
73 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Bike was in a wreck. Low sided then tumbled a few times. Got the bike from a friend and am now fixing up. At first bike was leaking oil and blowing alot of smoke when we first started bike. Ran the bike and oil was burnt off. Then bike was unstable at idle when we started bike. Bike would not hold idle and would shut off. Looked at sparkplug and alot of carbon build up on the tip, tip was black.

I changed the sparkplugs and the fuel pump. Bike starts right up and idle is not as unstable as before. the bike is still burning alot of fuel and alot of black smoke is still coming out. On the idle bike is running rich with black smoke and smell of gas in present. When i turn the throttle a big puff of black smoke comes out and can still smell gas. Looked at the sparkplugs and carbon build up is on the tip of the sparkplugs again. Is it possible if the PowerCommander got damaged or altered the map setting and made the bike run rich? Any ideas why bike is still running rich? Fuel rail is damage, PC damaged, engine damaged, & etc?

·
Registered
499 Posts
Check that the intake air pressure sensor (on the back of the airbox) is connected to the intake rubbers via the little hoses. If the sensor does not see the intake vacuum the bike will run hell rich.

·
Registered
361 Posts
If the Power Commander is indeed damaged, taking it out of the equasion will cure your problem instantly (unless you really wanted the PC working on the bike, in that case it's an expensive replacement :D )

If the problem is indeed the intake air pressure sensor, simply removing the pc will not cure the situation... Whether you run a custom or factory engine map will not matter when the sensor is passing along bad or no info at all to the ecu...

Much like a lambda sensor on a car (which measures oxygen levels in exhaust gases) the intake air pressure sensor provides info on the air/fuel ratio and the ECU will adjust the amount of injected fuel accordingly to get the ratio right...

So yes, that would be my first check also... it could be down to something as simple as a loose or damaged wire... It's often the smallest things that'll cause us the biggest headaches..:hammer

Good luck on fixing the problem..; keep us updated!;)

·
Registered
499 Posts
miller said:
Check that the intake air pressure sensor (on the back of the airbox) is connected to the intake rubbers via the little hoses. If the sensor does not see the intake vacuum the bike will run hell rich.
Please note, I'm not saying the sensor is bad (that would give an FI light error), just that the hose may be off the sensor.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.