Suzuki GSX-R Motorcycle Forums Gixxer.com banner

41 - 60 of 69 Posts

·
Registered
499 Posts
I went two years without a car, didn't want one. It was easy for me to be honest, rain was an issue maybe once here in AZ and it's warm all year. But I wouldn't recommend it unless you live in Southern California or AZ type places that have nice weather all year.

·
Registered
109 Posts
I have two Bikes, an 01 Volusia (cruiser 4 sale) and an 09 gsxr750 (- week old), plus a 96 ford bronco (for sale). I love my 750 and even though I have put thousands of miles on my other two vehicles, I literally cannot get enough of my gixxer. Its just amazing, My only problem is I have about 3/4" of chicken strips that I am trying to get rid of... I know, I suck... But GSXR's still rock!!! Oh yeah, cars and trucks are too boring compared to bikes!

·
Registered
262 Posts
I have an old golf as well as my bike. Here in not so sunny Scotland it rains most of the year and if its not raining its snowing so its essential :sad

·
Registered
2,784 Posts
Depends where you live. In London I don't go near a car. Plenty of my friends don't own cars and trot around on scooters and they are far from broke!

In the US (other than CA) you can get around just as quickly in a car and with the extreme weather in many parts it might not make sense at all unless you are single and minimalistic (not a bad way to be).

EDIT: If I did only own one bike and no car it wouldn't be a sportbike. Not in a million.

·
Registered
1,073 Posts
Get some hard, locking luggage, and probably a 1-piece suit like an Aerostich Roadcrafter, and you'll be set to take care of most tasks in any weather.

Attachments

·
Super Moderator
15,074 Posts
I went for about 2 years with just a bike and no car. I didn't find it too bad but at the time I as living in FL so I'm sure that made a difference.

·
Premium Member
494 Posts
No car only a bike. Time to man up when things get tough such as bad weather and luggage to carry. I do not have kids so I am not inconveniencing anyone with my choice in my opinion. I ride rain or shine hot or cold so its all good, it does help I live in Florida. I am a bit worried since I will be starting college again and the college is "downtown" in the "city" which brings with it more risk of theft in my opinion.

·
Lady Gaga's biggest fan
134 Posts
I had no car for a while, but its deff not bad in florida.

·
Premium Member
488 Posts
i live in manhattan; if i need to get somewhere in the city i just take the subway.

for getting out of the city, i only do that if the weather is nice anyway. having a bike is just for giggles.

also have zipcar if i need to move something that i can't throw in a backpack; $11 for an hour with a shitbox is a lot less than i would pay to park a car here.

if i moved out of manhattan to the burbs or the country i would DEFINITELY buy a car though. the northeast is too brutal weather wise not to have one.

·
Registered
1,073 Posts
i live in manhattan; if i need to get somewhere in the city i just take the subway.

for getting out of the city, i only do that if the weather is nice anyway. having a bike is just for giggles.

also have zipcar if i need to move something that i can't throw in a backpack; $11 for an hour with a shitbox is a lot less than i would pay to park a car here.

if i moved out of manhattan to the burbs or the country i would DEFINITELY buy a car though. the northeast is too brutal weather wise not to have one.
My sister lived in Manhattan for 10 years, I would go stay out there on numerous occasions.

I can't for the life of me think where you would keep a newer and valuable sportbike safe from theft - either a secured parking garage rental, or hell, you could put it in a service elevator depending on the building you lived in (at least till the super found out)

·
Registered
54 Posts
Due to forces beyond my control I'll only have my GSXR 750 for daily transportation for an indefinite period of time with to me is like only having a smoking hot little woman to have sex with... for an indefinite period of time. I don't mind riding in the rain but the few cold days we have in The Big Easy are gonna suck.

·
Registered
322 Posts
I passed my bike test when I was 17 and always had a bike never bothered with my car test until I was 32 now I have 1 car and 3 bikes ??

·
Registered
322 Posts
I hope they're all gixxers!
Ha no not all I have a gsxr 1000k1 a zxr400L (classic) and a zx6r. The zx6r is a dog i got it dirt cheap just gunna put an mot on it and sell it the 400 is currently stripped as I'm in the middle of restoring it and my gixxer is mint ?

·
Captain Obvious ... because obviously it’s obvious
3,960 Posts
No way I could go without a car. Trip to the grocery store, picking up presents and other items, not hating life in inclement weather, having a back-up car if the bike breaks, etc.

In fact, I have to chuckle at the bike-only gang that complain about the poor weather and how it sucks. Meanwhile, I've got my heated seats and steering wheel on. I'll ride to enjoy it, and that doesn't occur when it's raining or snowing or cold.

41 - 60 of 69 Posts