Suzuki GSX-R Motorcycle Forums Gixxer.com banner
1 - 20 of 37 Posts

·
Registered
90 Posts
It won't be jaw dropping but it will definately be noticable.

I'd say to try -1 in the front first. You'll like it. You can get a front sprocket for about 25 bucks shipped and 45 minutes of your time.

EDIT: 45 minutes...If you know what your doing of course

·
Registered
423 Posts
If you have a 750 (43 teeth) you can go +2 on the back by buying a stock 600 (45 teeth)sprocket. That's what I did and It's great + the smaller front sprocket will wear out your chain faster. Found one on ebay for 15.00 shipped.

·
Cock Thumb, or Thumb Cock? You decide.
31,593 Posts
If you have a 750 (43 teeth) you can go +2 on the back by buying a stock 600 (45 teeth)sprocket. That's what I did and It's great + the smaller front sprocket will wear out your chain faster. Found one on ebay for 15.00 shipped.
1 down will not cause any dramatic or even noticeable more wear on the chain

·
Registered
9,633 Posts
It won't be jaw dropping but it will definately be noticable.

I'd say to try -1 in the front first. You'll like it. You can get a front sprocket for about 25 bucks shipped and 45 minutes of your time.

EDIT: 45 minutes...If you know what your doing of course
Took me 42.5 min
And I was drunk

·
Banned
15,031 Posts
1 down will not cause any dramatic or even noticeable more wear on the chain
+1 no more than being a squid and doing baby wheelies and clutching all over the place.

no it won't matter and ull like it better.

·
Registered
127 Posts
how much will +1 front drop the top speed? i ride on the highway a lot and if its too dramatic a drop then i prolly wont do it

·
Registered
51 Posts
-1 on the front will hurt top end but not that much. Can still easily go over 120 if you really wanted to. I don't have a speedo healer or anything but the gauge says 167. Still had some room to keep going but had to slow for twisties.

·
Registered
127 Posts
yeah, i meant -1 up front. the fastest ive done is 150 and i have no desire to go faster, but i do want some more accel. i do ride about 3.5 hours on the highway every weekend, so going -1 up front wont hurt my gas mileage much? and can i keep the same chain? if so what do i need to do to adjust it properly? thanks for any input, and sorry if i jacked the thread

·
Registered
70 Posts
Go -1 front, and +2 rear...that's what I did and it's great. You can still use stock chain, and it only took my top end down 15-20 mph...Oh no...I can only do 145 now...Bummer

·
Registered
9,633 Posts
how much will +1 front drop the top speed? i ride on the highway a lot and if its too dramatic a drop then i prolly wont do it
I have video of me doing 165 for about a mile up a slight hill
I had about 2000 rpm left on the tach and I am -1 up front stock in the back

·
Registered
8,423 Posts
-1 will not be a noticeable difference in the top end. It will be noticeable when you twist your wrist though!!!

Oh yeah!

·
Registered
127 Posts
awesome. i will definetly go with -1 in the front. thx people

·
Registered
239 Posts
I have a Renthal -1 in front and my bike tops out at 186 (indcated)... that's a long time of accelerating and rolling the throttle to the stops while going downhill. Don't know what it was before, but it's worth the trade off in your top speed. Though it does mess with how much your speedo is off. I think mine's off by 7 mph (optimistic) now, but I really don't know for sure.

·
Registered
9,633 Posts
I have a Renthal -1 in front and my bike tops out at 186 (indcated)... that's a long time of accelerating and rolling the throttle to the stops while going downhill. Don't know what it was before, but it's worth the trade off in your top speed. Though it does mess with how much your speedo is off. I think mine's off by 7 mph (optimistic) now, but I really don't know for sure.
7mph is doubtful
It is based on a percentage not a constant
You could plot a calibration curve which would give you the slope of the adjust speed vs the actual
The adjusted gets further from actual the higher you go
To say that you are off by 7 mph means when your speedo read 8 mph you are goin 1
Doubtful

·
Banned
15,031 Posts
ya i bounce dmy 750 around that speed at 75 stock, now I do it the same speed. Well the speedo is off so its actually slower than 75. But its just a little more fun. It gives a little more peepy ness when tearing it up around corners too.

·
Registered
31 Posts
What company makes a steel rear sprocket for less than $100? All I can find come in a set with the front&rear sprockets and a chain for $170. I don't want aluminum for the rear sprocket because the steel ones should be stronger and last longer.

1 - 20 of 37 Posts