Suzuki GSX-R Motorcycle Forums Gixxer.com banner
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am a new rider and currently on a sv650. It is a fun bike but I've put 1600 miles on it and already starting to see it is a little under powered. I have looked at the 600s but I'm 265 and think they would still be a little under powered at ~100hp. Someone suggested the gixxer 750. I have read some previous posts that summarize a 750 as a 600 with more power which is what I am looking for. Has anyone made a jump from a sv650 to a gixxer 750? I figure I will wait till I put 4k to 5k on the 650 before considering upgrading. That should put me close to the end of the summer when prices will drop some anyway.

Thoughts? The 130hp is almost a 100% jump in HP which makes me a little nervous but I it sounds like the 750 need to wind up some before the HP really kicks in so I figure I can the revs low until I feel comfortable.

·
Banned
15,031 Posts
well the 750 is a powerband with the inline four, while the sv is a twin with its punch everywhere. Its up to you and your control. While any of these bikes can hurt a man, the 750 is just a tad less forgiving compared to a 600. And the 1k is a really not forgiving at all. But you can still ride a 1k like a 600 just you have to not hammer it all the time. Point being, if you've got miles under your belt and you have self control, the 750 with about 120ish rwhp will suit you fine. I'm almost 200 so I"m not as big. It might be a little cramped for you. Truthfully, I feel the busa is actually more upright for someone your size, but thats up to you as well

hope this helps, its kind of an indirect way of answering you.

·
Registered
557 Posts
Actually in some ways the busa is better suited for a smaller rider as it sits lower to the ground. The 750 sits higher and it also requires more reach for the grips than the busa. I've had over 400 lbs. of rider and passenger on my 750 with NO problem - still wants to go like stink and wheelies like no ones business ... LOL

·
Banned
15,031 Posts
its sits lower, but more up right. the 750 is higher and cramped to keep the rider tight for the twisties. thats all i'm saying

·
Registered
1,174 Posts
I ride a 750 and I would imagine it could be quite hard on the back and put excessive weight on the wrists due to the ergonomics, especially for someone above 250lbs. Being only 160lbs myself, I often come back from a ride with back/wrist pain. If you do lots of longer rides I'd avoid anything with aggressive ergonomics.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
I think the Busa's are great but that is outside of my comfort range right now. It does pose an interesting question though. The next time I am at the dealer I will sit on a busa and Gixxer 750 to see if I notice a big difference in Ergs.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
GSXR750-GL when you wheelie, do you have to really get on it or the first time did it come up unexpected?

Also did you just tighten the stock suspension or did you buy a heavier rear spring and front fork?

·
420 King of the World
3,440 Posts
Im 5'11" and 265 and I ride a 750. The suspension is a little soft with my weight. i would have opted for the 1k, but the tank and bars were too different from the 750 for my liking. Stay with the SV for 1 year, put some REAL miles on it, like 5-6k, then sell it and jump to the 1k in 06. I may do the same after next season ends, buy a leftover 06 for cheap. Keep the bike, and get a new one next year. Be safe. Bear

·
Banned
952 Posts
GSXR750-GL when you wheelie, do you have to really get on it or the first time did it come up unexpected?

Also did you just tighten the stock suspension or did you buy a heavier rear spring and front fork?
it will power it up pretty easy with a chop of the throttle and a good bounce. i dont wheelie much, hardly ever, and when i do, i usually clutch it. as for the suspension, i had the dealer set it up for my weight when i bought it. everything is still stock.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
[
it will power it up pretty easy with a chop of the throttle and a good bounce. i dont wheelie much, hardly ever, and when i do, i usually clutch it.
Cool, that is what I was looking for. I wasn't sure with the extra power if it came up easy or if you would still need to intensionally act to do a wheelie. I really don't have a lot of interest in doing wheelies now or in the near future.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.