Suzuki GSX-R Motorcycle Forums Gixxer.com banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Premium Member
24,541 Posts
Simon,not to be a dickhead or anything BUT,is there any reason you just didn't stick a 1052 or 1127 engine in? I'm sure it would have been cheaper and more powerful for the same amount of cash.Just curious thats all

I did a 771 kit in my 87 750 way back in 89 and wish I would of just put the bigger engine in.

·
Banned
3,509 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Originally posted by oldgixxer:
Simon,not to be a dickhead or anything BUT,is there any reason you just didn't stick a 1052 or 1127 engine in? I'm sure it would have been cheaper and more powerful for the same amount of cash.Just curious thats all

I did a 771 kit in my 87 750 way back in 89 and wish I would of just put the bigger engine in.
<font size="2" face="Verdana, Arial">No, that is a valid point and I looked into it before I made the decision I did.

I decided on the 907 for a few reasons.

...I get to get my hands greased and bloody working on a a machine

...I get to keep the dry clutch which may or may not work in an 1100 motor.

...The cost of a good 1100 motor was pretty high. $2400 was the closest I came and it was in Philly (I'm in WI) I still would have at least put in fresh rings and maybe pistons so I'd be right where I'm at now money wise.

...Did I mention I get to get dirty?

...I didn't go 955cc because I'd have had to do even more work to the top end.

...my wife would rather me have a second bike in the garage than an extra motor sitting in the basement. I'm working on her to let me have a second bike...maybe next spring.

I may not have made the right choice but I had to make a choice.

·
Registered
2,491 Posts
No 955
You should still be pretty healthy with the 907 and the 38mm cv carbs you have, not to mention the weight of your bike(what is your guestimate). I am guessing probably around 115-125 at the back wheel? Should be enough for shits and giggles.
For a new bike whatcha got in mind?
-Karl

·
Banned
3,509 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Originally posted by KJ1:
No 955
You should still be pretty healthy with the 907 and the 38mm cv carbs you have, not to mention the weight of your bike(what is your guestimate). I am guessing probably around 115-125 at the back wheel? Should be enough for shits and giggles.
For a new bike whatcha got in mind?
-Karl
<font size="2" face="Verdana, Arial">I'm hoping for that target rwp of 115-125 too. I haven't the foggiest what its weight is...but I could get it weighed

I've got it down to two bikes...a "budget" bike and a "no Budget" bike.

<$10,000 I'll get a new gixxer 600 and deck it out with a pipe and all the bells and whistles.

>$10,000 I'll commit an act of treason and get an Aprilia Mille R

·
Registered
2,491 Posts
Well I think you would be happier with the "R", I would be over a 600
-Karl

·
YAAFM Mod
3,016 Posts
I think that when you wife gets home and finds the bike in the living room shes going to slash the new bike budget!
Bones

·
Banned
3,509 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Originally posted by Bones_GSXR:
I think when your wife gets home and finds the bike in the living room she's going to slash the new bike budget!
Bones
<font size="2" face="Verdana, Arial">You might be right, I should look at Honda Sprees and Yamaha Razz's as a possible alternative

A friend of hers stopped by tonight and saw it in the window. I had to talk fast.
As long as the rug stays clean...I'm safe. Its not like there's any actual evidence the bike was in the living room...

·
Premium Member
24,541 Posts
Simon,I'm glad to hear that you wanted to undertake this project yourself instead of paying somebody.There is nothing like getting personal with yer' baby!
I can't beleive that someone's asking $2400 for a 1127!!Thats crazy!!They usaually go for $1500-1800.If you left the 92 head stock(i.e. no big valves,etc)then you should be on the better end of 122-125rwhp depending on other mods.I've seen 135-142 from these engines in various states of tune.Also,i've seen ltd. dry clutch on a 1052,but was not straightforward swap,so I think you definitley made the right choice.Good luck and feel free if you have any questions.I had interference with the top of the 38mmCV's and the frame rail on an 87,so just check to be sure if thats yer setup.36-38 RS would also work GREAT w/ that setup.
Rob

[ 04-19-2002, 04:10 AM: Message edited by: oldgixxer ]

1 - 12 of 12 Posts