Suzuki GSX-R Motorcycle Forums Gixxer.com banner

1 - 20 of 64 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So i just bought my first bike a couple weeks ago and it has 2700 miles on it and ive been wanting to change the oil just so i can keep track of the maintaince on it. ive been reading and reading about what oil and filter to use and i have decided to run amsoil with the stock filter. but my question is what do you guys think about putting the BG moa oil additive in aswell?

·
Biased Multi Level Marketing Dealer - take into co
382 Posts
So i just bought my first bike a couple weeks ago and it has 2700 miles on it and ive been wanting to change the oil just so i can keep track of the maintaince on it. ive been reading and reading about what oil and filter to use and i have decided to run amsoil with the stock filter. but my question is what do you guys think about putting the BG moa oil additive in aswell?
ABSOLUTELY NOT !!!!!!!!!!!!

AMSOIL, just as other oils are formulated by Lubrication engineers. Use of an additive in oil can adversely effect the oils additive package.

The Best isn't cheap
Cheap isn't The Best

Bob

·
Premium Member
745 Posts
ABSOLUTELY NOT !!!!!!!!!!!!

AMSOIL, just as other oils are formulated by Lubrication engineers. Use of an additive in oil can adversely effect the oils additive package.

The Best isn't cheap
Cheap isn't The Best

Bob
Do you even know what BG products are?

·
Premium Member
745 Posts
Absolutely you can run MOA, I'd only use 1/2 of a can as 11oz. is too much.

·
382 Posts
Do you even know what BG products are?
I know BG MOA (motor oil additive) claims to improve TFOUT of a "Major Brand Oil" that they never disclose probably due to fear of a lawsuit.

AMSOIL names the products it tests against and has Since 1972.

Absolutely you can run MOA, I'd only use 1/2 of a can as 11oz. is too much.
It is not recommended to use any additives in an oil as it may upset the delicate balance of the additive packages.

The Best isn't cheap
Cheap isn't The Best

Bob

·
Premium Member
745 Posts
I know BG MOA (motor oil additive) claims to improve TFOUT of a "Major Brand Oil" that they never disclose probably due to fear of a lawsuit.

AMSOIL names the products it tests against and has Since 1972.

It is not recommended to use any additives in an oil as it may upset the delicate balance of the additive packages.

The Best isn't cheap
Cheap isn't The Best

Bob
Probably doesn't disclose due to lawsuit?!? Where do you get this stuff from?

Define delicate balance...

·
382 Posts
Most companies will not diclose the competitors brand for fear of suit.

All additive packages are not the same. Some companies have proprietary additives in addition. The additives are blended to each companies own formulation to do the job required for their specific stock.

The use of an additive not formulted by the oil companies Chemists can be detrimental to the performance of the oil.

The Best isn't cheap
Cheap isn't The Best

Bob

·
Premium Member
745 Posts
Most companies will not diclose the competitors brand for fear of suit.

All additive packages are not the same. Some companies have proprietary additives in addition. The additives are blended to each companies own formulation to do the job required for their specific stock.

The use of an additive not formulted by the oil companies Chemists can be detrimental to the performance of the oil.

The Best isn't cheap
Cheap isn't The Best

Bob

Spoken like a loyal Party Member.

If you know nothing of BG Products, speak nothing of them.

·
Premium Member
745 Posts
If you know nothing of an additives performance in oil, don't recommend one.

The Best isn't cheap
Cheap isn't The Best

Bob
Oh, I know a ton of stuff about oil and additives. You regurgitate AMSOIL facts and use it as your own original thoughts. I'm not getting in a pissing match with a multi level marketer. Again, if you don't know, don't say.

·
382 Posts
Again, if you don't know, don't say.
Heed your own words. I have been selling AMSOIL Since 1984 and have been in business Since 1972.

I have no idea what you are trying to imply and wonder what AMSOIL's Marketing has to do with the facts of this.

Please, piss on... You started it.

The Best isn't cheap
Cheap isn't The Best

Bob

·
Registered
1,974 Posts
run motul 300v no additives needed. sorry amsoil guy, my bike lost power with your oil. (bike, didnt say anything bout car, or other stuff i used it in) but EVERYTHING i work on with 2 wheels gets motul. period.

·
382 Posts
And the 300V is an excellent oil. I know I have never said different.

Curious.... Which AMSOIL product did you use ?

The Best isn't cheap
Cheap isn't The Best

Bob

·
Super Moderator
15,158 Posts
run motul 300v no additives needed. sorry amsoil guy, my bike lost power with your oil. (bike, didnt say anything bout car, or other stuff i used it in) but EVERYTHING i work on with 2 wheels gets motul. period.
A trillion people run amsoil in their bike and this is the first thing I've ever heard of a bike loosing power for running amsoil. You must have dyno'd a before and after using Amsoil right?

·
Registered
1,974 Posts
A trillion people run amsoil in their bike and this is the first thing I've ever heard of a bike loosing power for running amsoil. You must have dyno'd a before and after using Amsoil right?
yep. and its not the first time ive seen it. some bikes just dont like it. most of the drag racers i know arent using it anymore. they use rotella cuz they change it so much. street guys still do though. ive never had a bike shift as good as they do on 300v, and ive never seen a bike lose power on it. and ive never seen 300v aerate. Sometimes you can look in the sight glass after you shut the bike off and see bubbles in the amsoil.

·
Nazi Lustful Faggot - hot for Hermann Göring & Cai
3,250 Posts
ive never had a bike shift as good as they do on 300v, and ive never seen a bike lose power on it. and ive never seen 300v aerate. Sometimes you can look in the sight glass after you shut the bike off and see bubbles in the amsoil.
Strangely enough my old k3 1000 shifted better with liqui-moly synthetic compared to 300v (it was ~10.5k miles on the clock when I sold it).

·
382 Posts
10W-30 and 10W-40 don't say anything as we have 5 or so different ones. That is why I asked by Product Code.

But regardless, you just said you Dyno'd it before and after.. I will call "Operator Error" as I have seen too many Dyno results to the opposite.

The Best isn't Cheap
Cheap isn't The Best

Bob

·
Registered
202 Posts
I'm going to jump in here just because I haven't pissed anyone off lately. The use of oil additives in an engine in good condition is a waste of money and can possibly create an issue. I DO use oil additives in my 200k mile firebird that burns oil like crazy and has low oil pressure, but that is a completely different scenario and if it blows it blows, I've got backups waiting in the garage. As far as BG products go, there are a dozen other companies claiming they are the best too and I have experience with many of them. And none of them are as spectacular as they claim. All of these companies do NOT sell motor oil, rather they sell a line of additives, flushes, etc.... So of course they are going to make all kinds of crazy claims as they have to sell their product somehow. If you look at all of the marketing done for any product you will see many companies perform a demo using a "leading competitor's" product, but they will not name the brand. That is because if they make such a claim and cannot back it up they can and sometimes do face a lawsuit. You will, on less common occasions, see a comparison where all of the products are named. That is because it is a legitimate test performed and the results can be repeated. Obviously, if you are a company, lets use mobil as an example. And you advertise that your oil (mobil) will make an engine last twive as long as an engine using valvoline. You can be sure that valvoline is going to challenge that statement and if they find it false they will obviously take legal action. So yes, naming the products that are being compared does have significance. I feel that amsoil is a great product and there are others too. I also like mobil products. I have no experience with motul but from what I have seen and heard I'm sure it is a good product too. But, NONE of these products need an additive, nor will using an additive make them better necessarily. Also, I do not know of any motorcycle specific additives. And since our bikes use the engine oil for the clutch and transmission, an oil additive formulated for a car engine may have chemicals in it that may adversely affect the clutch and the transmission. Now, as far as who am I and what makes me so special that my opinion must mean something. I am an ASE master certified auto tech and also have a certification in advanced engine performance as well as a boatload of GM certifications and have more than 10 years experience as a professional technician. And I have experience with BG, JB, WYNNS, and others. There are very few of these products that I will use in my own vehicle. It has also been suspected that one of these products used in automatic transmissions caused a few transmissions to fail at my current dealer and therefore we discontinued the use of the trans treatment with no such failures since.

1 - 20 of 64 Posts