Suzuki GSX-R Motorcycle Forums Gixxer.com banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

Registered
Discussion Starter #1
How good is the forks and shock on the R version? Certainly the best oem bits I have experienced, but not tried the track yet. How do they perform there?
First time having a bike for 3 years without any Ohlins 馃榿

Registered
So I have a 2020 base and my buddy has the R, Seems the rear springs on his R is softer than my base. I would say Ohlins advantage is at least in the aftermarket is custom springs for your weight and better range of hydraulic control. I had plenty of bikes with Ohlins and I don't feel a need to upgrade my OEM units after setting up rider sag and hydraulics. Hit the track first and feel them out before just dropping the coin. You should be overall a happy person unless you a very skilled, competitive rider.

Registered
So I have a 2020 base and my buddy has the R, Seems the rear springs on his R is softer than my base.
Do you think so Cachee0..!!
I have an R1000 L8 ABS but just before I bought it, I was toying with the idea of on an R model and it seemed quite a bit harder. Mind you, just what the settings were on each bike at the time was a little unknown, but I was sure that the R would also have plenty of adjustment. What really made up my mind was the price. I got my ABS quite heavily discounted at the time (same price as the GSX-S1000F) so I could not turn that down.. I still had to really set up the suspension to make it work super good for me, but work well it really does. I've never ridden on such a stable bike that just keeps pointed in the right direction every second of the ride.
"Comeback", to put an answer in your own head, you'd have to think to yourself "hmmm, track or street". The R isn't an R for no reason..

Al

Premium Member
the R is worth the money. the R suspension is not softer - it may feel that way but there is less stiction and the damping is noticeably smoother. - im mid A pace at trackdays with stock suspension and stock damper. - the bike never does anything evil. i weigh 230

i did drop the forks in the triple and have an adjustable link to get more ride height.

jason

Registered
the R is worth the money. the R suspension is not softer - it may feel that way but there is less stiction and the damping is noticeably smoother. - im mid A pace at trackdays with stock suspension and stock damper. - the bike never does anything evil. i weigh 230

i did drop the forks in the triple and have an adjustable link to get more ride height.

jason
Springs are stiff on the base vs R? do you think stiction is that much over base and R?
I have an R1000 L8 ABS but just before I bought it, I was toying with the idea of on an R model and it seemed quite a bit harder. Mind you, just what the settings were on each bike at the time was a little unknown, but I was sure that the R would also have plenty of adjustment. What really made up my mind was the price. I got my ABS quite heavily discounted at the time (same price as the GSX-S1000F) so I could not turn that down.. I still had to really set up the suspension to make it work super good for me, but work well it really does. I've never ridden on such a stable bike that just keeps pointed in the right direction every second of the ride.
"Comeback", to put an answer in your own head, you'd have to think to yourself "hmmm, track or street". The R isn't an R for no reason..

Al
Al,

I did not even think twice and got the base, After setting up a few Rs and a couple of bases I did not feel the need for the R suspension for mostly street riding I do. Also buying new I did not to have to replace a spring in the rear which one of my buddies with an R who is lighter then I is now trying todo. Yes they are awsome so stable. I also have 18 RSV4 and GSXR it turns in faster than my Aprilia (not as stable but I have under 2K on the bike and I'm still learning it). I think it's the best 1000 on the market that's why I bought one, the price was a none issue getting anything else for me, I was considering a Pani V4R and 2020 S1000RR and I still like the GSXR much more in terms of riding it.

Premium Member
i dont think it is all stiction i think some of it is the damping it isnt as smooth. when i street ride i can simply turn all of the screws back out 1/2 a turn or so. take 5 more turns of preload out of the forks. it is noticeably more compliant. the non R is basically the same forks as the 2011-16 forks/shock. and you can hardly tell a difference between settings.

i think this is some of the best i have ever rode on - 35 years and countless bikes.

jason

Chubby Chaser
Take Sylvain's opinion on it....I believe he said he was ~1.5 seconds a lap faster on the Ohlins over OEM :D

Registered
Al,
I did not even think twice and got the base, After setting up a few Rs and a couple of bases I did not feel the need for the R suspension for mostly street riding I do. Also buying new I did not to have to replace a spring in the rear which one of my buddies with an R who is lighter then I is now trying to do. Yes they are awsome so stable. I also have 18 RSV4 and GSXR it turns in faster than my Aprilia (not as stable but I have under 2K on the bike and I'm still learning it). I think it's the best 1000 on the market that's why I bought one, the price was a none issue getting anything else for me, I was considering a Pani V4R and 2020 S1000RR and I still like the GSXR much more in terms of riding it.
Unfortunately, for me the right choice of GSX-R model was quite important.. I'm not that tall and I'm reasonably lightweight (at least compared to many other 1000cc riders anyway). I weigh about 165 lb and am approx 5' 6" or 7", so suspension and seat height and a few other factors sort of became of importance to my physical size. The bike's steering was way too fast for me straight out of the shop and the suspension height was almost too tall and stiff. I could touchdown at traffic lights and stop signs etc but safely only on one foot, having to lean the bike over a bit at touchdown. After setting the suspension sag up for a frame of my size and weight, the seat height was a bit lower (and not too bad for me now at all) and the steering was a lot tamer and much more manageable,, still lightning fast in corners but only after I choose to tip it in, instead of being dragged over by the bike when you even so much as thought of entering a corner. At the moment, it is by far the most magical bike I've ever owned or ridden, even if I don't push it along too many times nowadays.. Over here we don't get the base model,, just the ABS and the R models..

Al
Edit a day later - sorry for late edit,, just realized I accidentally deleted some of Cachee0's quote.. Fixed now...

Registered

Al
Yes, I required one turn of perload from factory on my Base to get me to 33mm Rider sag, to get him to 28MM rider sag we have his preload maxed out and he is lighter than me by 30 pounds. We did this set up because he was bottoming out the fork under hard braking so we set the rear 5MM higher than the front and even after that he was still bottoming out the fork during braking, I had to add additional preload on the front until we got him not to bottom out now the rear is soft because I have not more adjustability we are trying to find a new rear spring for him but nobody knows the factory spring rate. Where on my base even braking from 165mph hard I have one turn from full soft in the front and have One turn rear from factory setting. that tells me the springs are stiffer on the base.

Registered
R version-I used the latest settings from Motovudu for a long time. Sylvain's are very close. I'm 230(13 turns Preload front, all preload rear used, forks around 6mm not including caps). I thought these settings worked well for handling and preventing brake dive or bottoming out. The problem I had is for the street these settings were brutal.

Last week I went back to stock settings. The ride is much smoother and more compliant. I even took some compression out of the rear. (8 turns preload front, rear max preload, adjusters on the soft side of stock by a little). Now the front is close to the bottom with very little hard use. I noticed the bike wants to run wide(very subtle, but definitely more prone to not finishing the turn.)

The start of my solutions. I needed tires anyway so I am going with a 200/55 for the additional 3mm ride height in the rear. I will add 3 more turns of preload on the front as the first adjustment after tires and reevaluate from there.

Fortis Fortuna Adiuvat
Springs are stiff on the base vs R? do you think stiction is that much over base and R?

Al,

I did not even think twice and got the base, After setting up a few Rs and a couple of bases I did not feel the need for the R suspension for mostly street riding I do. Also buying new I did not to have to replace a spring in the rear which one of my buddies with an R who is lighter then I is now trying todo. Yes they are awsome so stable. I also have 18 RSV4 and GSXR it turns in faster than my Aprilia (not as stable but I have under 2K on the bike and I'm still learning it). I think it's the best 1000 on the market that's why I bought one, the price was a none issue getting anything else for me, I was considering a Pani V4R and 2020 S1000RR and I still like the GSXR much more in terms of riding it.
I love my base 1000 with OhLin鈥檚 front and rear set up by Thermosman, but my V4R is another league.

4FF1457F-4F22-4DC4-8FF1-070113794200.jpeg

Registered
How is the V4R better? Power? Suspension? I'm asking out of curiosity not questioning your opinion. What makes it another league?

Fortis Fortuna Adiuvat
How is the V4R better? Power? Suspension? I'm asking out of curiosity not questioning your opinion. What makes it another league?
]

Okay, not leagues better, was a little drunk.

it is a bit faster, easier to ride, and turns better. You definitely feel the downforce from the wings at a track like Willow Springs. It sounds cooler for sure.

i do love my GSXR and you can鈥檛 go wrong with either.

Didn鈥榯 mean to derail, I never got a chance to try BFF, wish I did.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts