Suzuki GSX-R Motorcycle Forums Gixxer.com banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
96 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I need to trailer my bike to a track day, and I was wondering what is the best way to secure the bike to the trailer. I have a 04 GSXR-600. I'll be using a friend's trailer which I believe has approximately 1 ft. tall side rails. Where should I attach straps to the bike? I haven't bought any tie-down straps yet, so any suggestions on types of straps would be useful as well.

·
Registered
3,003 Posts
I'd buy the canyon dancer handlebar straps. That's what I did...worked like a charm.

·
Registered
34,392 Posts
Be careful with the canyon dancers. Make sure you leave some play in the suspension for 2 reasons.

1. No play in the suspension can bust your fork seals driving on bumby enough roads.

2. If not enough play in the suspension can also twist your triples and forks esecially if in a wheel chalk.

Tips from MPHcomputrack in Akron, OH

·
Registered
202 Posts
these are the two best options, the tie down thing will ruin the fork seals as i have learned, only tighten them enought to hold your shit upright. spend the money and never look back again.
1. sport chock @ www.baxleycompanies.com

2. strapless tie down, @ www.ststands.com

both are good. the sport chock can be easily done by yourself with NO help. and they recomend not using tie downs on the bars. the stand system is totally fuckin awsome. you will need a cheap ass chock or tie downs on the front wheel to keep it from turning side to side, bue there is no way that the bike can move. i used both systems and the ststannd was used on a 600 mile 85mph stomp thruogh all kind of fucked up roads even down town san francisco. at one point my trailer was airborne, gas cans and shit was flyin every were and my bike never new the differance. if you use the ststand make sure you tell him i sent you , free shipping is always good

·
Registered
96 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I really like the sport chock and strapless tie down. But man, they aren't cheap! Since I am borrowing a friend's trailer, I wouldn't be able to mount them. They sure look like good options for the future, when I put together my own trailer.

·
Registered
2,428 Posts
Be careful with the canyon dancers. Make sure you leave some play in the suspension for 2 reasons.

1. No play in the suspension can bust your fork seals driving on bumby enough roads.

2. If not enough play in the suspension can also twist your triples and forks esecially if in a wheel chalk.

Tips from MPHcomputrack in Akron, OH
+1

Don't use a canyon dancer....use your lower fork to tie down to. that way you still have your full suspension working. plus you don't compress your springs for a long haul.

·
Registered
96 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
"use your lower fork to tie down to" -- How could you do this with inverted forks? Your tie-on would be way down by the brake caliper. Am I not understanding what you mean?

·
Registered
964 Posts
Whatever you do buy quality tie-down straps like Ancra. And buy more than you will need. It doesn't hurt to use more. I learned my leason and bought some cheap ass Uhaul straps only to have them BOTH break and get stuck. If it weren't for Dustin at trakdaZ I would have been screwed.

·
Registered
17 Posts
Best way to tie it down is not to tie it down. Pit-Bull Trailer Restraint System!!!

1 - 10 of 10 Posts
About this Discussion
9 Replies
8 Participants
David Stutz
Suzuki GSX-R Motorcycle Forums Gixxer.com
A forum community dedicated to the Suzuki GSX-R motorcycle. Discuss the GSX-R600, GSX-R750, GSX-R1000, and GSX-R1100, and more!
Full Forum Listing