Suzuki GSX-R Motorcycle Forums Gixxer.com banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
382 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Best way to align the wheels on an \'05 (or any year?)??

Hey all, just wanted to ask how some of you are aligning your wheels on the '05 or any other year/make?

I used to have the actual article illustrating the string method in one of the old cycle rags. But I recently moved and that went bye bye. I know some folks measure from the rear of the swingarm to the axle plates and some do the string method and the truly rich are using that laser tool.

So which method do you guys use/recommend? If you can be specific and post up a step-by-step that would be helpful as well. What's the most accurate way?

Me personally I measure from the very end of the swingarm to the axle/adjusting plates. But honestly I'm not too convinced that this is the best method.

·
Registered
466 Posts
Re: Best way to align the wheels on an \'05 (or any year?)??

I do what you do ("measure from the very end of the swingarm to the axle/adjusting plates") and I haven't had any problems. Though, I am not completely confident with the measurement. I also have the motion pro sprocket alignment tool but that is not exact either.

·
Registered
961 Posts

You only need to align your wheels once. Then it's just a matter of turning the adjuster nuts the same amount. To properly check my alignment I use a laser pointer. With the bike positioned 90 deg in front of a wall and on the rear stand I shoot the laser beam at the wall in such a way that the beam is just touching the rear and the front of the rear tire. Repeat with the other side. Adjust the rear wheel in such a way that the two distances where the laser ends up on the wall are equal to the front wheel on both sides.

·
Registered
92 Posts

I use two pieces of square aluminum tube with a hole in each piece for a piece of stud iron to go through the rear wheel and clamp it up, then measure the gap at each side of the front wheel and adjust accordingly. A company in England do a similar set up (with pictures, Goto:
http://www.esling.btinternet.co.uk/maxton/) which is basically the same idea. All my Suzukis have been out of alignment by about 10mm (at the front wheel) when the markers on the swingarm say they should be o k.
Hope this helps

Staffie

·
Premium Member
41,723 Posts

Do not use the markings on the swing arm. To get the wheels perfect, string line them.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts