Suzuki GSX-R Motorcycle Forums Gixxer.com banner
1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
30 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
This is probably going to leave me more confused due to the abundance of choices, but I'd appreciate some advice.

Just about to have my first rear tyre change, have been running the BT014 on my 04 750 and I like them (a bit weird ie floppy on turn in though). I do a lot of FWY riding, about 450klms a week, and was wondering what you guys thought was a good choice. I'd like to stick with a performance orientated tyre but want reasonable mileage from it. The BT014 has lasted 7500klms.

Thanks in advance!!

·
Registered
9,633 Posts
Here goes
Your about to get smacked with a bunch of smart ass posts reagarding which one to buy and how bout doing a search.
Here's the deal
Tires when purchased for perfoemance come down to a use and learn decision. Use em and learn
Any of the top man. tires are not going to dissappoint you. I would not reccommend BT014's
I love my pilot powers
I also really like the diablo's
I have freinds that swear by dun. 208's
Buy the pilot powers and you will be happy
Tire wear depands on how you ride.
Usually around 3 to 4000 miles
Most important....
Get em from mike at heatwave cycles
Not gonna beat the price or service

eidt*
I ride alot of highways as well
I'd rather replace the tire more often and know damn well I got grip in the corners when I need it than to have a tire last for 20,000 miles.
Would you put single ply white walls on a vette???
Didn't think so.
THese bikes are designed to run and run hard not commute.

·
Registered
637 Posts
i really like the old michelin macadam 90x and 100x, they wore like concrete, but held well when warm, i just took a set of michelin Pilot Roads off my gixxer, i was never confident in them, never felt good, slid everywhere and never warmed up. the only good thing was i had 70 runs on the 1/4 and it never squared off

·
Registered
637 Posts
i just changed to a set of 208's

before i had the pilot roads, i had the old pilot sports, they was sweet

a guy who i went with on a ride today loves his new pilot powers, says he has the traction of a race tire even when cold, his tread was softer cold than mine are too

·
Registered
30 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Smitz Cheers mate!

Thanks for the info, I'd buy them from mike but he probably won't send them to Australia

·
Registered
2,885 Posts
Pilot Powers.... Nuff Said, hands down the best tires out there....

Scott

·
Registered
30 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Just got the pilot power put on the rear!

Am being very very careful for 100 klms, any suggestions on the best way to scrub them in??, I'm pretty much just taking it easy on the lean and increasing gradually

·
Registered
9,633 Posts
Some people say it is not necessary but I do it.
50 to 100 miles. Slowy increse lean angle. By time I hit 100 miles my "chiken Strips" are gone.
Better safe than sorry.
All you are doing is getting what I call the bugars off the tire.
Probably good to go sooner than you think just be safe.

·
Registered
43 Posts
ride like normal really, i put 40 miles on mine on the way to the twisties and threw it down like nobodies business.. tires are scrubbed in pretty fast, i never really worry.

·
Registered
1,255 Posts
Hopefully you replaced both front and rear so you have a matched set?

·
Registered
670 Posts
You're going to love the pilot powers. What I basically did was ride it for a good 40-50 miles. After that, the bike went full tilt. I did not have any problems and felt comfortable the whole time.

·
Registered
203 Posts
I'll probably be getting new tires soon. How do Pilot Powers, Pirelli Diablo, Dunlop 208 and Metzler M1 compare?

·
Registered
670 Posts
I currently have the Pilot powers on but had the Dunlop 208's before that. I can definitely tell you that the powers are much better hands down. I think I will probably try the Pirelli Diablos next so that I can give others more feedback and eventually find a set that I will stick with.

·
Registered
697 Posts
All choices will be good for the street. I have had stock to bt014 to 208 zr's. I just put on my second set of bt014's. In my opionion the bt014's are the best.

·
Registered
30 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
are you supposed to change both at the same time!?!?!

thats bloody expensive considering you have to do it every 6000klms!!!!

I only put the power on the back, I was going to change the front when it needs changing ie no tread left.

·
Registered
9,633 Posts
are you supposed to change both at the same time!?!?!

thats bloody expensive considering you have to do it every 6000klms!!!!

I only put the power on the back, I was going to change the front when it needs changing ie no tread left.
Reccomend changing both to the same brand for profile the first time then only the rear
I typically change two rears to every 1 front

1 - 20 of 20 Posts