Suzuki GSX-R Motorcycle Forums Gixxer.com banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
32 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Sup guys, help a brother out - I am trying to decide on what track tire is best for my bike and still level.

Track: Calabogie Motorsports Park (3.25 miles)
Rider: yellow / intermediate / B group (lap times are 2:30, whereas the red group / fast guys are 2:10 - 2:25ish; pro's can dip below 2:10)
Bike: 06 GSX-R 750 track bike, full Ohlins, Brembo monoblocks, Bazzaz TC/quickshift/etc.

2018 will be my first year on a real, dedicated race bike. I've been on there before with a stock GSX-R 750 on Dunlop Q2s and a stock Aprilia Tuono on Pirelli Rosso IIs. By the end of the afternoons, when the heat was on and I was pushing a bit more, those tires got just a bit squirmy on me on corner exits. It happened maybe 2 or 3 times. Otherwise, I'd have zero complaints about the (now ancient) Q2 and Rosso II tires. I think 95% of the time, I was not out-riding them.

I've been told that based on my skillset, I should get the highest-performing street tire, without going to a track tire, because I can't yet benefit from the advantages of track tires or slicks/warmers. Probably cause I can't push them hard enough to get enough heat in them?

From what I can tell, this leaves me with 2 choices:
  1. Pirelli Supercorsa SC V2
  2. Michelin Power RS
The RS is too new and I can't find much objective comparisons. The SP seems to fit the bill when it comes to "top-spec street tire", but it's 50% more expensive than the RS and wears out extra quick.

What do you think and/or recommend?

Thanks in advance!

·
Registered
322 Posts
The SC are meant to be the very similar if not the same compound of the full slicks just with groves, essentially still not highway safe. They should be run with warmers just like the full slicks. There is the sp v3 version which is new and if the sp v2 is anything to go off, would be great.

I personally use the metzeler race tech RR k3. It's the equivalent of the pirelli sp v2 without the price tag, even comes from the same German factory (they are different tyres).

I don't think you can have to much Tyre, I think the more the better. It'll help when you've taken the wrong line or stuffed a line. If you can afford the warmers and slicks, get them. The only issue with then track days are more effort, stands, power etc...

·
Registered
322 Posts
PS I have friends who run full slicks and don't run warmers in summer, one even races like that. How hot are you summers? Are you willing to sacrifice a lap or two.

·
Hand-Eye Coordinator
6,509 Posts
If you have to ask, it doesn't fucking matter. You will see no difference.

:facepalm

·
Hand-Eye Coordinator
6,509 Posts
What a nasty, useless comment from you MacBayne.
Sure, bud. Plenty of "Which Tire is Best" threads on the site to get enough info about novice use... but flyshit out of pepper questions yield BS responses. I cut out the BS. After weather/atmospheric conditions/tire pressures/personal feel are controlled for, it comes down to using each tire one's self to see what he likes best... it's an expensive endeavor, but one that yields the best answer.

If one does not go through a set of tires in a couple of track days, then he isn't riding them hard enough to know the difference.

Final fact:

If you ride track and cannot feel a difference between a pound or two of pressure on a particular tire, then different brands but same intended use doesn't matter.

Therefore:

When tire feel makes a difference is when one goes through a set of tires in a day. By that time, he has already tried different brands and pressures in a variety of conditions.

If one doesn't know the difference between track tires from experience, then forum responses are superfluous.

It doesn't matter, if you have to ask.

·
Registered
34 Posts
You could add these in that category. The Pirelli SC is acknowledged as the stickiest but shortest life of the grouping of tyres just below race tyres.
Dunlop Q3+
Bridgestone RS10 and S21
Pirelli Rosso Corsa

·
Registered
624 Posts
Sure, bud. Plenty of "Which Tire is Best" threads on the site to get enough info about novice use... but flyshit out of pepper questions yield BS responses. I cut out the BS. After weather/atmospheric conditions/tire pressures/personal feel are controlled for, it comes down to using each tire one's self to see what he likes best... it's an expensive endeavor, but one that yields the best answer.

If one does not go through a set of tires in a couple of track days, then he isn't riding them hard enough to know the difference.

Final fact:

If you ride track and cannot feel a difference between a pound or two of pressure on a particular tire, then different brands but same intended use doesn't matter.

Therefore:

When tire feel makes a difference is when one goes through a set of tires in a day. By that time, he has already tried different brands and pressures in a variety of conditions.

If one doesn't know the difference between track tires from experience, then forum responses are superfluous.

It doesn't matter, if you have to ask.
10-4

So OP,

What our experienced but slightly cranky member lol has endeavored to convey to you and me I agree with.

Try as many as possible then choose the one that suits you best cause at your current level, one is not necessarily better than another. Tires very greatly in feel.

DOT track tire gives you more of everything and unlike a street tire, the harder you "Pooosh" the better they get.

·
Registered
134 Posts
10-4

So OP,

What our experienced but slightly cranky member lol has endeavored to convey to you and me I agree with.

Try as many as possible then choose the one that suits you best cause at your current level, one is not necessarily better than another. Tires very greatly in feel.

DOT track tire gives you more of everything and unlike a street tire, the harder you "Pooosh" the better they get.
How do the DOT slicks handle heat cycles and how do they fare for the average trackday rider?

My very limited understanding is that slicks require tire warmers for two reasons...1. To allow you to be aggressive right away by keeping the tires hot...and 2. Prevent multiple heat cycles that make slick wear out faster.

Is that along the right lines. So would the DOT slicks work for someone who didn't have tire warmers and would just heat the tires over the first couple of laps; and would they last being used that way.

Also would they last without heat cycling too much for a track rider who isn't fast enough to wear them out but did have tire warmers?

·
Registered
624 Posts
How do the DOT slicks handle heat cycles and how do they fare for the average trackday rider?

My very limited understanding is that slicks require tire warmers for two reasons...1. To allow you to be aggressive right away by keeping the tires hot...and 2. Prevent multiple heat cycles that make slick wear out faster.

Is that along the right lines. So would the DOT slicks work for someone who didn't have tire warmers and would just heat the tires over the first couple of laps; and would they last being used that way.

Also would they last without heat cycling too much for a track rider who isn't fast enough to wear them out but did have tire warmers?
You quoted me but I can't confirm any of the above cause I have never run "Slicks" on track. I was referring to DOT race/track tires with minimal tread.

like these...

Attachments

·
Dreaming of buttsecks for years...
13,375 Posts
Here's the thing with track tires.

Take the Bridgestone RS10 and R10. Both are DOT tires. Tread patterns look about the same. So what's different? Two things in fact.

First is the carcass. The "race" tire sidewall is stiffer. I was running mid pack in advanced before I needed this. When you're leaned over the bike just weighs more (not more mass, just Gs). That sidewall starts to collapse and the tire deforms. It's unpredictable handling....

Second thing is the compound. When was the last time you saw a bike with lights and a license plate on a Wednesday night with rough tires? Yeah, me neither. Much like point #1, the demands on a good street tire are different than a good track tire. Race compounds have a higher working temp, and because of the stiffer carcass, heat up slower. A good street tire will be grippy in 4-5 miles of street riding. They don't need as much heat. In the same respect, they can't handle the higher temps fast paced track riding can generate. Which is why most track guys on street tires don't need warmers. Warmers can even overheat a street tire. But race rubber demands warmers, or you're going to waste a bunch of money on cold torn tires.

My tire guy put it this way. If you're not using all the street tire, stay on street tires. If you're using all of the street tire, but wear looks good, stay on street tires. If you're using all the street tire, and it's wearing out, get your suspension looked at. If you're on street tires, and the tire is melting..... go to race rubber.

·
Registered
134 Posts

You quoted me but I can't confirm any of the above cause I have never run "Slicks" on track. I was referring to DOT race/track tires with minimal tread.

like these...
Sorry. I meant to quote the person who quoted you. Do the DOT race slicks have the same requirements as full slicks? Do they behave the same as far as heat and heat-cycle requirements? I ASSuMEd they did. 🤔

·
Hand-Eye Coordinator
6,509 Posts
There is no such thing as DOT slicks.

Race slicks are designed to provide max grip and should not be cycled. They can handle a small number of cycles (if you see blue, she's through) but are made to give grip, not last days.

DOT trackday tires are designed to give more grip than street tires, therefore; will handle fewer heat cycles. It's a middle ground. Fun fact- they will probably last longer if you use tire warmers resulting in only one heat cycle per day, instead of 8.

1 - 19 of 19 Posts
About this Discussion
18 Replies
10 Participants
MacBayne
Suzuki GSX-R Motorcycle Forums Gixxer.com
A forum community dedicated to the Suzuki GSX-R motorcycle. Discuss the GSX-R600, GSX-R750, GSX-R1000, and GSX-R1100, and more!
Full Forum Listing