Suzuki GSX-R Motorcycle Forums Gixxer.com banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
37 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey guys,
Got my first Gixxer yesterday - a 1987 1100
. I'll post some pictures later, but the first thing the bike needs is new tires - whenever I give it ANY gas at all the rear just starts spinning instead of producing front-lifting acceleration!
My other bike is an '86 Ninja 1000, and when I was shopping for tires, my options were very limited, as it has an 18" front and a 16" rear, but I think I finally found the best tires for it - they were definitely the best ones I ever used at least - the Avon AV45/46's. Well, with the Gixxer's 18" wheels it seems like I have a wider range of choices, so if you'd like to share your opinions, please do! So far I might as well get the same thing for the bike - the tried and awesome AV's (they are very good value, too!), but hey - maybe there's something better out there?
Thanks in advance!

·
Registered
1,120 Posts
I am running the avons am22 and am23. These are sprint compound tires and hold real well. Kinda pricey though. There is just not much selection with 18 wheels.

·
Jurassic Skool
79,800 Posts
I use the Michelin Pilot 'Roads'. They're radials, grippy wet/dry, and supposed to have decent mileage. Haven't had them long enough to test the mileage, but they handle well once they're warmed up.

The Avons aren't radials, are they? Thought I'd looked at those and dismissed 'em on that account.

·
Registered
800 Posts
Robben? Are your Pilot Roads, 18"???
Im have new Dunlops
205's These are Sportmax Radials.
To be honest, Dunlop offers NO selection, for these old GSXR's.
This is why I want to go to 17" wheels. Much,much bigger selection.

Ok, Now back to the new owner, CONGRATULATIONS!
Welcome! I have an 88,1100j. Enjoy your bike, if you keep fresh oil in it. It will last forever!

·
Jurassic Skool
79,800 Posts
Yep. Stock rims on my bike. 160/60ZR18 72W rear, 110/80ZR18 58W front. I think they offered a 120/80 front pilot road, but it wasn't in stock at their warehouse at the time.

·
Registered
1,120 Posts
I use the Michelin Pilot 'Roads'. They're radials, grippy wet/dry, and supposed to have decent mileage. Haven't had them long enough to test the mileage, but they handle well once they're warmed up.

The Avons aren't radials, are they? Thought I'd looked at those and dismissed 'em on that account.
The avons are bias ply tires. The michelins look good to me.

·
Jurassic Skool
79,800 Posts
Before buying the Pilots, I looked at Metzeler. They had a nice looking set for the 18" as well. The ME Z4 steel radials. 160/60 ZR 18 (70W) TL Rear and 110/80 ZR 18 (58W) TL Front or 120/70 ZR 18 59W TL Front. The white lettering in the pic I was assured wouldn't be on the tires. Now that I think about it, perhaps the wider 120 front was only available from Metz'...

It was a tossup on which set, they both read like good tire choices, but what decided it finally was that one of the parts guys at the dealership was using the Pilots and recommended them from firsthand experience. Plus I think they were slightly cheaper...

·
Registered
3,097 Posts
I rang Bridgestone and they don't provide any Bt010 in 18 inch rubber...17's ?- Yep, nope on the 18's.
They do have a BT45 but there not what i'd call a track day tyre.....18 inch rubber choice down here is limited more and more each year....
Are there any wheels (allowing 17inch) that are straight swaps ?
Si

·
Registered
200 Posts
My last tire was a BT45 and it worked very well for the first half of the tread and then disintegrated the last half. It handled well in the corners and I never had trouble keeping up to the guys on newer bikes with newer rubber. Metzler also sells a good tire in a 18".

·
Premium Member
4,505 Posts
michelin, dunlop and metzeler all provide reasonably sticky radial tires in 18" sizes. so, they are out there. it is best to go directly to the manufacture's websites to see what it is available. don't go by what you see in the magazine ads. they can't possibly list ALL tire sizes.

also, becareful when mail ordering because some places will flat out refuse to mount and balance tires if not purchased through them. it is best to buy local; just go and order them and get a packaged deal.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts