Suzuki GSX-R Motorcycle Forums Gixxer.com banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
78 Posts
I put a Continental 160-60-zr18 on my 87 750 and i love it. I cant get the outer edges to wear because the tire is too big for the rim but it sticks very well and looks good. I've had it leaned as far as my buds 929 and his brothers r1 so traction dosent seem to be a problem.

·
Registered
17,099 Posts
i hear the avons are excellent.....the hot setup years ago for 18-inch rims was a metzeler me33 comp k up front and an me1 rear (both are non radials)....

·
Registered
159 Posts
I have found Metzeler ME-Z4 to be a great tire, not super sticky race stuff but still a very good tire. They look pretty good too. Other people have had nothing but good things to say as well...

·
Banned
3,509 Posts
I was running the Dunlop K591's (110 front and a 140/70b18 62v rear)- the wheels on the RG are meant for radials. When I switched to the 17" wheels (Bridgestone BT20's) there was a short time that I was running the 17" rear and the front 18" had a Dunlop D205R Sportmax Touring 110/80ZR18. The bike didn't seem to squirm as much in corners with the radials. Dunlop discontinued the K591's and replaced them with (I think) a tire called the 501. I was running k591's on my GPZ550 (18"rear/19"front) and it did pretty well, but it was no gixxer.

·
Registered
95 Posts
Hmm.. this is something I was wondering too. Right now I've got Bridgestone Battlax BT-17R's front and rear.. Anyone else ever use them?

·
Registered
2,491 Posts
Just get tour hands on some 17 inch rims, problem soleved, I'll ses if can dig up a set for you somewhere
Karl

·
Banned
11,514 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
I wanted to keep the stock 18's for a while

I am struggling to keep the bike as close to stock as possible, its too easy to replace everything on it.

Maybe later I will go the USD fork and 17 inch wheels

Then get a bigger motor and bore it out, and a funky glass tailpiece, and and and....

·
Banned
982 Posts
I have the Metzeler Comp k.. with a 180 on the rear..thats what I always used!

But,I used to have a Michelin Hi-sport in front,but they dont make them anymore..

·
Banned
11,514 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Joey what rear rim are you running that 180 on? Right now there is a 170 conti crap on the back of mine, but 88 has a 4.5" rim

·
Banned
982 Posts
<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by Mr Gixxer:
Joey what rear rim are you running that 180 on? Right now there is a 170 conti crap on the back of mine, but 88 has a 4.5" rim<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>
I've got the same as You!!88' 4.5!!A 180 will fit!!!

I sent My rear wheel out to Kosman and they welded it up wider..to 5.5!!Now,My 180 looks like a 190!!

But,a 180 is a must for Your bike!

·
Registered
17,099 Posts
i wouldn't recommend running a 180 radial on a 4.5 inch rim......and the manufacturers wouldn't, either.
a 180 radial works best with a 5.5....

with belted tires, you can run them a bit wider (in fact, metzeler even says their belted 170 me1 - not the radial z1 - can be used safely on a 4.0), but it really isn't a good idea with radials...

[ 09-24-2001: Message edited by: jeff ]

·
Banned
982 Posts
<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by jeff:
i wouldn't recommend running a 180 radial on a 4.5 inch rim......and the manufacturers wouldn't, either.
a 180 radial works best with a 5.5....

with belted tires, you can run them a bit wider (in fact, metzeler even says their belted 170 me1 - not the radial z1 - can be used safely on a 4.0), but it really isn't a good idea with radials...

[ 09-24-2001: Message edited by: jeff ]
<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>I had My 1100 since 86' and used the Metzeler 180 since 86' till now 2001,and never ever had a problem!!!And I was never known for doing 55mph!!

·
Registered
17,099 Posts
yeah, a metzeler 180 comp k (non radial) is okay for a 4.5.....but not just any metzeler! metzeler makes radials......those wouldn't work very well on a 4.5 rim if they're 180's....

·
Banned
982 Posts
The Comp K is the only 180x18 they make now!!
I search every where for something new,but Metzeler Comp k is all I found!!

I really wanted a 190 x 18....but,no such luck!!

·
Banned
982 Posts
<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by jeff:
damn, i didn't know that.....i guess you're gonna need to get some 17 inch wheels joey....
<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>
No way!!!I love My 18s......It looks like and old Panasonic 10 speed!!

·
Registered
115 Posts
I was running 160/60 rear and 120/70 front Metzeler MEZ1's They were excellent but milage wasn't great. 3 rears and 2 fronts for one season. That's a lot of tires! I just put Bridgestone BT 020 's on they feel good we'll see how they last.

·
Premium Member
3,183 Posts
Michelin specs the Macadams for your machine Mr. Gixx. If you can't find anything else, I'd go for the Avons.

Stay away from the non-radials if at all possible; they are so fucking heavy in comparo.

1 - 20 of 21 Posts