Suzuki GSX-R Motorcycle Forums Gixxer.com banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
51 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Best power upgrade for an \'89 - 1100???

I have the stage 3 with yosh pipe. Is the next best thing some head work and the flat slide 38mm carbs or what? I need more speed man!!! I heard the 36mm to 38mm swap was like going from a 2 barrel to a 4 barrel on a 350 chevy! Is this true? If so does anyone have any for sale?

Aaron

·
Registered
243 Posts
Re: Best power upgrade for an \'89 - 1100???

Depends on how far (read - how much?) you want to go dude?

Changing the carbs to flat-slides is ok if you don't mind a slightly heavy throttle action. But if you want a little more grunt, then the carbs off a 91' M should be more up your street. from what I can remember, the 89' K had 38mm slingshots, and the 91' M had 40mm's and a slightly different head configuration (maybe Jeff could be more specific in the differences).

Having the head ported and fitted with larger valves will improve gas flow, but should really be incorperated with a change of cams for best results. A good head job (wahay) and fast road cam swap should liberate around 15-20bhp more than the standard set-up. This combined with the carb swap and the mods you've made already, should see an 89' 1127cc K model putting out somewhere in the region of 160ish bhp!

Not bad for a 12 year old bike! Eh?

Good luck dude!

[ 07-20-2001: Message edited by: EarL ]

·
Registered
17,099 Posts

yeah, your options are nearly limitless....it all depends on how much money you want to spend.

the 40mm slingshots never made it stateside, unfortunately.....u.s. spec 1100's came with 36mm slingshots starting in 89 and have kept using them until the model was discontinued. not to say that you couldn't get your hands on a set, though, as canadian 11's from 91 on had the 40mm's...

·
Registered
233 Posts

http://user.tninet.se/~lvn930t/history.htm

91 uses those 40mm cv carbs..

start with +1300cc wisecos..13:1
91 head..with some porting and oversize valves..and some mild cams..and those cv carbs..good exhaust..
and there u have it..

it pull like rhino from 3000 and put out some 160+ rwhp..

the key is driveability...u can use 41mm keihin flatslide,some huge cams, but u miss the fun from riding..

or just go for mcxpress turbo kit...u don`t need any more for street application..

maybe some serious 230rwhp...

·
Registered
33 Posts

Cheapest way.

Big flatslides. 38 to 41mm and pod filters. This is a real easy way to get about 15hp and flatslides are also heaps easier to jet (you can get to the main jet without removing the carbs) which makes a big difference if you are going to do other mods at a later date.

Other mods, you already have the pipe, big bore kit don't go higher than 12:1 comp or it will ping under load unless you run octane boost. You can run standard cams to keep heaps of low down grunt, but for peak hp go the big cams with oversize valves and yosh valve retainers.

Hope this helps,
Regards,

Dale

·
Banned
982 Posts

I have 36mm Flat slides and did everything else!!!How bout Yosh Cams??How bout a big bore kit?Valves and springs?Dyna 2000 ignition?Port Job?
Shall I keep going?Man....How much money You got!?
I have an 86' and been putting money into it,since that date!My shit,Is too wicked for the street,but where else am I gonna smoke 20 bikes in a day!

I'm pulling at least 240hp on this thing!(not yet dynoed!)
Carbs dont do much without...Back Up!

·
Registered
398 Posts

cams/head/1340 kit and your at about 200hp. 36s are great on the street even with big bore kits..38s if you get serious. 40s..to much. Start with head work..if you have deep pockets then port (DONT POLISH) the head..epoxy the floors..1mm oversized valves..heavy duty springs..ti retainers. Then go Cams..I personally perfer WEB but others out there. Keep it easy on the duration to be a bit more streetable. Then bore it out. Without stroking 1052 will go 1340 and 1127 will go 1371..with stroker crank you can go into 1500s. Have the crank balanced and lightened by APE and get a set of new STOCK rods and have them magnufluxed and shot peened (save you $400 and they WILL handle alot more power than you think). Clutch mods are nice..look into tranny undercutting also. A BIG thing is if you add HP, get a top-end oiling kit. Do these things you will be at around 200hp and it will hold up perfect. Take the time and spend the money right. If you need guidance let me know, we street/drag race old GSXRs and have been building them for years, save you the time and hassle of what NOT to do..lol..we found out the hard way!

When your ready to REALLY play go n2o. I reccomend and use NX brand. Also, make sure you upgrade fuel pumps to a Holly Blue..much better and safer. Good nitros controller..some timing out..good fuel pressure..and your in the 8s no problems.

·
Registered
257 Posts

Hey, uh, PhatBastard,

What benefits does the top oiling kit give? Is it worth getting one just to help longevity if you're not running a monster motor? Is it just the feed between the two blocked oil passages on the head or do you actually get a feed from the pump and pump more oil in there? I've never been able to find any good info on these kits though I see them on a lot of customs.

Matt

·
Banned
982 Posts

I love that Guys site,with His gixxer in the snow!!

·
Registered
398 Posts

MDill..yes it will help anyone, not just built engines. Gixxers suffer from oil deprivation and the kit helps ALOT.There are kits out there to buy or make your own..depends on how comfortable you feel with it. I wont run or build a older GSXR for a customer without one..cheap peace of mind...

·
Banned
982 Posts

Ape makes a really nice one,that lets You bolt Your Mid section fairing to!!

Thats the one I went with!

·
Premium Member
838 Posts

PhatBastardDesigns-Due you build motors? If so how much for a 1340? est
Later

1 - 14 of 14 Posts