Suzuki GSX-R Motorcycle Forums Gixxer.com banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi guys, relatively new to the board so that's probably why you haven't seen me post a whole lot. I'm in the hunt for a new battery for my 2000 gsxr-750. I had an issue this past weekend where after hitting the kill switch (and not turning the ignition to OFF) the bike would not start. Seemed to be dead battery.

Bike would start to turn over, but wouldn't fire. Repeated attempts saw a drop in power (battery going down). Validated this with the horn later on (dropped in pitch each time I'd hit it).

So, that's my situation. I'm going to try to replace the battery and see if that solves the problem. The previous owner was the first owner so I beleive it was the original battery, and the bike had less than 6900 miles on it. Said he had rode it about 4 or 5 times a year, so I'm sure it's not set to hold a charge well.

Thanks for the advice guys

·
Here is your "R"
6,926 Posts
Best is stock! But Walmart batterys are pretty decent and there 50 bucks

·
Registered
96 Posts
I got the Yuasa maintenance free from a HONDA dealer for $69. The Suzuki delaer wanted
close to a c-note for the same. I'd stick with stock, no acid dribbling down on expensive bits.
Plus my original lasted 2 1/2 years. Those walmarts last one year if you take care of them.

·
Premium Member
3,847 Posts
Yuasa is the way to go for a battery, but...

Why did your battery die in the first place???

That's the question you gotta ask yourself. If there's no obvious reason for the battery going dead (you've abused it, it's been sitting with no charge for a long, long time, etc), then more than likely, you're asking for just another dead battery by simply replacing it.

'00-'03 750s & '01-'03 600s have badly designed stators, and alot of people have had problems with them, myself included.

You should test your charging system before you ace a new battery. Do you have a service manual? if not, i'll gladly guide you through the process (or do a search).

·
Registered
1,374 Posts
Try a lawn mower shop. I bought one cheeeeep
for my riding lawn mower and they said it's the
same size for a motorcycle. just my .02c

1 - 6 of 6 Posts