Suzuki GSX-R Motorcycle Forums Gixxer.com banner
1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
What's the best oil to use for the 02 GSX-R 1000? Conventional? Semi-Synthetic? Synthetic? 15w50? 14w40? Etc....

Also, can you guys recommend a good tranny fluid and radiator fluid???

Thanks,

Mark

·
Chubby Chaser
57,844 Posts
tranny fluid?

·
Registered
216 Posts
What's the best oil to use for the 02 GSX-R 1000? Conventional? Semi-Synthetic? Synthetic? 15w50? 14w40? Etc....

Also, can you guys recommend a good tranny fluid and radiator fluid???

Thanks,

Mark
tranny fluid

·
Premium Member
73,384 Posts
he said tranny fluid...

as long as the bike has over 3k miles, go with the royal purple max-cycle 10w-40 oil. as for coolant, use the new prestone 50/50 premixed stuff.

please tell us that this is not your first bike.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Yep this is my first bike...
what's so funny about tranny fluid?
Enlightened me on this one..

Mark

·
Registered
3,047 Posts
Sorry marky, we are a bit tough in here.

The tranny and the motor share the same oil. Most motorcycles do. Like the old Austin Mini.

If you are going to ask basic questions such as this in an advanced forum, do some research on your own or ask in the open bike forums. Specific forums like this contain users who really know their stuff and get tired of teh simpler questions.

So don't get too bent about the simple question answers.

·
Premium Member
73,384 Posts
you bought a 1000 as a first bike? can you make me the beneficiary of your life insurance policy?

you really should have started on something smaller. for more info, read the sticky posts in the section called "the starting line".

good luck otherwise.

·
Registered
961 Posts
Your chances of surviving this year unhurt are rather poor. The GSXR1000 is for experts only. One should only ride it with at least 5 years previous experience.

·
Registered
466 Posts
Your chances of surviving this year unhurt are rather poor. The GSXR1000 is for experts only. One should only ride it with at least 5 years previous experience.
5 years?????? Um ok!

·
Registered
303 Posts
Yep this is my first bike...
what's so funny about tranny fluid?
Enlightened me on this one..

Mark
Marky.....its ok...you will learn quickly...we are pretty hard on individuals who ask caveman questions.
You do make me nervous with it being your first bike.
[email protected] summer air
Damn this is a tough crowd
Back to the real question...use regular oil until your shit is really broken in...then switch it up to synthetic 15w50

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Yeah that was a stupid question that I had asked before about the whole tranny thing. WEll that was pretty embarassing. I bought the gsx-r1000 because I can afford it. I'm well aware that there's no way I can exploit this bike's potential to its limits. After getting this bike I would never ever ever get something smaller again. Only 1000's and up for me....

Mark

·
Registered
62 Posts
In some ways the 1000 is a safer bike than many others. You have great handling, great brakes and the bike is very stable. The main thing you need to do is get comfortable with throttle control and work on operating the bike smoothly. RESPECT the power and have fun!

·
Premium Member
73,384 Posts
In some ways the 1000 is a safer bike than many others. You have great handling, great brakes and the bike is very stable. The main thing you need to do is get comfortable with throttle control and work on operating the bike smoothly. RESPECT the power and have fun!
not to get off topic and hijack the thread, but the throttle isn't the only thing you have to be careful with on a 1000. if you think it is, you probably shouldn't be on a 1000.

·
Registered
62 Posts
not to get off topic and hijack the thread, but the throttle isn't the only thing you have to be careful with on a 1000. if you think it is, you probably shouldn't be on a 1000.
Enlighten us master GSX-R.

1 - 20 of 22 Posts