Suzuki GSX-R Motorcycle Forums Gixxer.com banner
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Best Mods \'98 750?

I would like to get some opinions on modifications and upgrades.

First of all, what do you think about Wave Rotors?
Are they lighter? Increased performance?
Thermal concerns? Warping? Other issues?

Second, Exhaust mods:
I want an ultra high mount system and still retain passenger pegs on my '98 750. I don't care how loud it is(louder is probably better!).
I want the maximum HP gain possible.
I want a Ti Can and a SS or Ti (if affordable) header.
I have looked at all the popular brands, but have not found an ultra high mount system for 96-99 that retains the passenger peg.

I'm even considering getting a header and Ti Can, then having an exhaust shop do some custom work to get it sky high.

Third, X-chains:
What do you think about X-chains versus OEM or O-ring? A buddy told me he's getting ~5HP gain (Butt method) on his Honda VFR with an X-Chain!

Durability? HP Gain? Other issues?

Fourth, Tires:
What's the longest lasting rear available for our bikes? I go through rears about every 2.5k to 3.5k using Dunlops and Bridgestone.
I know they're supposed to be soft, but damn! $$$

I can deal with the lack of performance on a higher milage rear with a harder compound.
I'm not planning on doing any track days.
I have not found any sport/touring tires that fit our bikes?

Let the opinions begin!

-Terminator

·
Banned
6,048 Posts
Re: Best Mods \'98 750?

im selling my yosh rs3 pro titanium (full ti system...7.1 lbs) high exit, right now....its new for 1300, i got it a month ago, and will let it walk for 700. you can always buy the spacers for the pass peg (seen it done here already...) from devil, or the like...

btw, this pipe is the absolute best yosh offers, all handcrafted titanium, flow tested, and made 122.5 BHP on the dyno a couple a weeks ago.....
the sound is very deep down low, and roaring up high.......this is due in part to the 2¼" IO pipe, which is way wider than the traditional rs3 series (even the rs3 race...)

complete with all quick release springs/manifolds, and spigots...too....and the instructions as well........

·
Sexy Irish Man God
20,879 Posts

Wave rotors- IMO are just for looks. I have not had one but I could not see forking out that kind of cash for rotors. I got aftermarket pads and SS lines and am very happy with my braking now.

Exhaust - You will need to remap your FI after getting a full system. I would recommend getting a Power Commander to help on that. I am not sure on Highmounts but I would recommend looking at Yosh, Akrapovic, or Devil Exhaust's. I don't think there are many highmounts that let you retain your passenger pegs. Just a word to the wise, having a full extremely loud exhaust for street riding only is really asking to be harrassed by the cops. Expecially since Denver PD has been handing out tickets to sportbikes for anything and everything they can.

Chain- Punch your friend who said a chain will give you HP. That is assinine! lol I just got a DID X-ring and am very happy with it compared to the OEM one that was replaced.

Tires - I think Dunlop is discontinuing the D207 for now. You might give Discount Motorcycle Tire a call and see if they have any left for now. They are in Wheatridge, CO. Thier internet buying really sucks but dealing with them in person I have never had a problem. 3-5k on a bike tire is pretty much what you are looking at. Does not get much better than that

jontflesh

·
Registered
168 Posts

Do u really get 6 hp with the cams?? DAMN
I Think ill have to get some

·
Registered
1,875 Posts

i think those michelins last for a while that is my next set

·
Banned
16,404 Posts

the best mod is a tre...the exhaust will be a disapointment if your looking for horsepower..youll loose weight from the bike and your wallet with a exhaust..3000 mile from a set of tires is all youll get..

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·

ESE...

I give you $500 for the full Ti Yosh exhaust.
You only had it a month?
How many miles on it?
Selling...Why?

Let me know

-Terminator

·
Registered
1,914 Posts

personally, i found the tre mod a pile of pants !!! fuck all difference.

what i would like to do to mine engine wise is power commander II

definately that exhaust esemes is selling, i'd snap his hand off at that price considering.

these will go with the 'airbox mod' i've already done.

with them mods, i wouldnt be surprised to see 130bhp (on the right dyno !!!)

·
Banned
6,048 Posts

Originally posted by dan uk:
personally, i found the tre mod a pile of pants !!! fuck all difference.

what i would like to do to mine engine wise is power commander II

definately that exhaust esemes is selling, i'd snap his hand off at that price considering.

these will go with the 'airbox mod' i've already done.

with them mods, i wouldnt be surprised to see 130bhp (on the right dyno !!!)
<font size="2" face="Verdana, Arial">well, im not that intense, but i cant let that system go for that price. Its the absolute best that Yosh makes for the srad gen1. i am accepting offers, but at that rate ill make it into a coat hanger, or a massive hooka before id let it walk. sorry, but i hope you understand

scott

·
Registered
1,914 Posts

hi scott

i meant the asking price

if i thought you were gonna give it away (like 500 bucks), you'd have had my address details by know, and the cheque would have been sent !!!!!

cheers, nice to see you again mate, congrats on the new toy !

·
Registered
781 Posts

I have one of those Duplex RS3 systems like Ese's but with a chrome can(can't afford Titanium, not in this country), the single best mod I have done to my bike. It roars and growls now. It had RS3 bolt on previously but the system adds a totally different dimension to the whole experience. Butt Dyno is reading at least 8 if not 10 rwhp gain. Will put her on real Dyno this Wednesday and we'll see. This thing is absolutely awesome. highly recommended

·
I <3 Item 9
13,426 Posts

I have a wave rotor on the rear. Having a wave rotor reduces the amount of friction in total on your rotors by any given brake lever input compared to full rotors... therefore giving you les stopping power. I can notice it on the rear... but it's great for trail braking into corners. I'd prefer full rotors up front though just for the most stopping power from surface area that I can get.

I have a Hindle full ss system, Ti can... regular mount. They do make the high mount but it's only the equivelant of bending the can up... and I loose the passenger peg... so I opted to go with the reg mount. I think it looks better too... more in line with the tail.
I also have a PC-II to go with that. It's a must!!!

Tires... I dunno... Dunlop makes touring tires in 120-50 / 180-55 sizes, so go grab a pair (D-204 or something)

My next mod will be braided steel lines... and I'd like to lessen the overall weight of my bike with a new bodykit one of these days (mmm... carbon fiber)... and magnesium rims, ahh yes... and a full suspension replacement (Ohlins)...
more polishing too

I just need to win the lottery... or rob a bank

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·

Exhaust:
Hey Esemes,

Best I can do is $550 and I'll pay all shipping for the full Yosh. Ti system. I know it's not what you want, but I'm low on $$$.

Can't beet the new reduced price of the SS system.

If you don't have any other takers, lets seal the deal when your ready. You'll definately get the cash.

Rotors:
Sounds like the Wave rotors are out of the question(at least on the front).

The only reason I'm looking for new rotors is because the left rotor is warped or bent?

What other floating rotors are recommended, besides high price race rotors and stock?

If mine warp'd, then I definately don't want stock again!

Tires:
Wasn't aware that the Dunlop touring came in 180!
Probably going to try that.
Currently have a 180 Bridgestone BattleAxe, so I know that the 180 can work.

Chains:
By the way, I reallize that the X-Chain doesn't actually add HP, but if the friction coefficent is reduced, then acceleration and speed should improve(Feels like HP). Any other thoughts on the X-Chain performance enhancement?

Engine Mods:
I'll wait until my motor blows or dies before getting upgraded cams or the like, but what do you think about increased displacement?

Heard of making a 750 into the equivalent of a 902cc? Reliability? HP gains? How would that work w/ the Fuel Injection? Bigger injectors?
Any idea of how much it would cost ~?
Has anybody tried this?

Thanks,
-Terminator

1 - 15 of 15 Posts