Suzuki GSX-R Motorcycle Forums Gixxer.com banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
75 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
What's the best way to lock up a bike? i've heard of disc locks and kryptonite u-locks, what else is out there and what's everything cost?

·
Registered
1,355 Posts
I have two 3/4 inch Gorgon Kryptonite cable locks. I use one through the rear wheel then through the chain and then under the swingarm. The front I go through the fork and through front wheel. I then cover my bike with two Dowco covers and cable lock those as well. Plus lever locks so the clutch and brake cannot be used. I think that covers it for now until I move into a townhouse with a garage in a couple of months. Cost on my cables was $34.

·
Registered
360 Posts
I'va said it once, I'll say it again. Locks, Locks and more Locks won't slow down 4 guys and a picup truck and the one stolen bick every 6 seconds statistic. If you can't keep it inside a garage or in your living room you can always get a cheap storage unit.

·
Registered
75 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
i understand that 4 guys can pick up a bike and put it in the back of a truck, but i have to find the best way to deter a thief and make it as hard as possible. I live at school, and i will sometimes have access to a garage, but i will probably always have access to something to lock the bike to. just want to find out what's the stongest lock and what is made specifically for bikes.

·
Registered
5,502 Posts
I have a kryptonite NY chain and it's pretty hardcore. There may be slightly thicker chain out there, but it's pretty damn thick. It's heavy though, so it'll be a bit of a pain to carry around. I only use mine when locking to my carport....I only commute to work on my bike, though, so I don't have to deal with parking in questionable areas.

·
Bearded Viking Admin...
131,130 Posts
I use an Abus Granite City chain. It's supposedly one of the best locks on the market, but I don't know if they're available in the US.

Abus home page

(motorcycle locks are on the bottom left part of the page)

[ 02-04-2003, 10:00 AM: Message edited by: SVS ]

·
Registered
75 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
what do they run in denmark? i have family in germany and i'm over there fairly often , so getting one wouldn't be an issue. thanks

·
Bearded Viking Admin...
131,130 Posts
Originally posted by sixstang:
what do they run in denmark? i have family in germany and i'm over there fairly often , so getting one wouldn't be an issue. thanks
<font size="2" face="Verdana, Arial">Ok, then DON'T get it from Denmark. Everything just slightly related to motorcycles is way overtaxed here (envy tax
) I buy basically all my bike stuff online from Germany. Because of the European Union there's no tax across borders

Have a look at www.louis.de , my favourite bike stuff shop. They have just about everything (including Abus locks) at a low price!!!

·
Registered
75 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
thanks, louis.de looks like they have some pretty good prices. abus looks like they make some heafty stuff.

·
Bearded Viking Admin...
131,130 Posts
thanks, louis.de looks like they have some pretty good prices. abus looks like they make some heafty stuff.
<font size="2" face="Verdana, Arial">Yup - great for beating up bastards trying to steal your bike
No seriously, quality is really great and the locks are massive. I have the 110 cm Granite City Chain. It fits under the rear seat of my SVS together with my wallet and cell phone with no problem.
Good tip for Louis.de: look under "restposten" when looking at a category of gear. Those are last years models and often at half price or less!

·
Bearded Viking Admin...
131,130 Posts
ahh, vielen dank. i wouldn't have noticed that.
<font size="2" face="Verdana, Arial">Bitte sehr...

·
Bearded Viking Admin...
131,130 Posts
BTW Louis also has shops in many German cities. There's a list of them on their homepage.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts